APA102C LED not working

• My APA102C is not working, does it have to do with the differences in apa102 vs apa102c?

I get no response using APA102 on hypercon, but it flickers random colors on the WS2801 setting.

It have plenty of power through the strip, and my connections are all soldered fine. DI, CI, and ground are in the right GPIO pins. I can't seem to figure out anything else I have wrong.

• I think it's only a packaging difference 102 vs 102c.

Do they need 5v levels ? If so do you have a level shifter ?

Have you used then SPI port before ? Could it be faulty ?

I'd grab spitest.c and try a loop back test and then look at the protocol and try feeding it raw data directly (bypassing hyperiond)

Have you checked that nothing else is also running that might be writing SPI data ?

• Sorry I'm not well versed in this stuff, what exactly is a level shifter?

I checked the SPI port and it's working. How do I check if anything is writing SPI data?

The other difference with my setup is on the wiring diagram I didn't connect the GND and 5v on the end connection. Is there a reason to do that? I tested the strip and get 5v through the whole thing.

Thanks for your help

• The pi gpio pins output 3.3v for "1" and 0v for.a "0".
    The apa102 like many led strips and other devices states that it needs 0.7x it's power supply for a "1".
    At 5v supply this is 3.5v for a "1" which is just outside what the pi provides.
    Many people (me included) are lucky and it turns out to be close enough.
    A level shift will convert 0v to 0v and 3.3 to 5v.

Re: the SPI loop back test. The spitest.c can send SPI data and read it at the same time. If you connect MOSI to MISO anything sent is sent back by the wire and you can test your SPI port.

Edit: sorry, didn't notice your comment about testing the SPI port.

lsof or fuser/dev/spidev0.0 will tell you if any process has it open

• It seems that hypercon isnt sending anything to the device. This is all using OSMC os.

when I try "sudo hyperiond status" I get

Hyperion Ambilight Deamon (1185)
    Version : V1.03.1 (brindosch-bedd2e4/85fcec3-1468824277
    Build Time: Jul 24 2016 05:58:54
    ERROR: No valid config found

Hypercon is showing these messages if they mean anything to ya.

cd /tmp && wget -nv -N https://raw.github.com/hyperio…r/bin/install_hyperion.sh && chmod +x install_hyperion.sh && sudo sh ./install_hyperion.sh HyperConInstall ; rm install_hyperion.sh
    ssh out: Last-modified header missing -- time-stamps turned off.
    ssh out: 2016-07-24 18:16:56 URL:https://raw.githubusercontent.…r/bin/install_hyperion.sh [14491/14491] -> "install_hyperion.sh" [1]
    ssh in: *******************************************************************************
    ssh in: This script will install/update Hyperion Ambient Light
    ssh in: Created by brindosch - hyperion-project.org - the official Hyperion source.
    ssh in: *******************************************************************************
    ssh in: ---> Stop Hyperion, if necessary
    ssh in: ---> Install/Update Hyperion dependencies (This may take a while)
    ssh in: ---> Downloading the appropriate Hyperion release
    ssh out: 2016-07-24 18:18:41 URL:http://superb-sea2.dl.sourcefo…hyperion_rpi2_osmc.tar.gz [1636641/1636641] -> "-" [1]
    ssh in: ---> Installing systemd script
    ssh in: ---> Modify systemd script for OSMC usage
    ssh in: ---> Starting Hyperion
    ssh in: Hyperion Installation/Update finished!
    ssh in: Please download the latest HyperCon version to benefit from new features!
    ssh in: To create a config, follow the HyperCon Guide at our Wiki (EN/DE)!
    ssh in: Wiki: wiki.hyperion-project.org Webpage: www.hyperion-project.org
    ssh out: ./install_hyperion.sh: 302: ./install_hyperion.sh: service: not found
    sftp Send Hyperion Config - Sourcepath: C:/Users/Steve/Documents/Hyperion, Targetpath: /etc/hyperion/, Filename: hyperion.config.json
    ssh out: sudo systemctl stop hyperion.service 2>/dev/null; sudo /etc/init.d/hyperion stop 2>/dev/null ; sudo /sbin/initctl stop hyperion 2>/dev/null
    ssh out: sudo systemctl start hyperion.service 2>/dev/null ; sudo /etc/init.d/hyperion start 2>/dev/null ; sudo /sbin/initctl start hyperion 2>/dev/null

Sorry this is more software related than hardware now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!