Better Color Adjustment

• Hi guys,
    I'm new here and first of all want to thank you for this great tool and the new website.

I played around with the color calibration in HyperCon and could not achieve a satisfying result. I took a look at the hyperion code and have a few suggestions which would improve the colors in my opinion.

1) Change order from "Adjustment -> Transform" to "Transform -> Adjustment"

The problem with Adjustment first is that the gamma value in Transform changes the pure white color. But the gamma value should only change the curve between white and black and not the values of pure white or black.

Example:

2) Change Adjustment

So this is is a bit tricky, but let me explain my thoughts. If you set your color channels to include another color this does not change the white color but influences the grey colors. My suggestion would be to only apply the color channels when the main color exceeds the other color. This way the grey colors would have an equal ratio of RGB as the white color. Another problem is that the max output value of a color is reached before the color reaches max input. This could both be fixed with a linear increase from grey to maximum.

Example:

I hope that I could explain myself well enough and you agree with these changes. I know that with the changes everyone had to do their calibration again, but I think the result will be better.
    I don't really have experience with github, but I think I have to fork the project, apply my changes and send a pull request, so that you can see my code? Thanks again for this great project!

• @Funatiq
    If you change the order to transform -> adjustment you are achieving a perfect white LED. In fact, in the original tutorial I wrote the need of performing the adjustment again after doing transform, but we can change order.
    About the second modification you proposing, that should be interesting, but I don't really understand whats the code beneath the proposal. Do you mind explaining in detail what linear operation are you doing to R G B channels?

@Brindosch
    I love discussing about everything, thats the only way we can get better :)

• @Funatiq
    @AEtHeLsYn
    Is there a solution to let the ambilight light up a little bit the whole time? (also during playback) As a little backlight during movie watching

Black zones are not black -> they are (your rgb value)
    Even if you add a new option for this. Would be a nice feature!

Also people are not satisfied with the HSL luminance gain as brightness regulator. They are still using HSV saturation

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also people are not satisfied with the HSL luminance gain as brightness regulator. They are still using HSV saturation

Yep, maybe something is going wrong at the Hyperion end with the new calibrations options but still have to manually add this to the config to lower brightness by 50% like before:

Code
    "hsv" :
             {
               "valueGain"     : 0.5000
             },

When trying to do the same with luminance gain the colors shift considerably and even when correcting it after the luminance gain change can't get it to look right :(

• @Funatiq @Brindosch
    Nope, blacklevel sets the minimum channel value. Anything below the blacklevel setting will turn leds black.

Now about reducing brigtness... HSL color space lets you modifiy more than HSV, you can check in wiki, but both transforms are the same. You can try to reduce HSL saturation also to reduce brightness, this will wash out colors a bit, or you can even set lower R,G,B values when doing whiteleveling.

• @Brindosch
    Take a look at this code:

Code
    output = _blacklevel + (_whitelevel - _blacklevel) * output;

When you set a blacklevel, as you just said, you will set a minimum color value (so the black would be #101010 instead of #000000), but you will reduce dynamic range. Anyway yes, if you set a minumum big enough (#1F1F1F) you can use that as backlight.

• yes, i will reintroduce it as "backlight" optional option. People asked and i think it don´t hurt that much :)
    Thank you!
    We need to investigate these strange brightness variations. this is the last thing which is a "unclear" point.

• Just tried the new beta and I'm very happy with the result. Grey colors and gradients look much better now. I also think the HSL luminance gain works better now without shifting the colors.

But there seems to be a problem after starting hyperion, I had to clearall with the remote for the leds to work with pictures or video.

• Investigated, i introduced this bug lowering the default booteffect from priority 990 to 700. Looks like the booteffect never stop the effect
    @redPanther
    Should this the case? The logs say the effect finished, but it never remove the priority. I could revert this and just use 700 as default for HyperCon, that it behaves like before the priority cleanup commit

Bug or behaves like it should?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!