1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Hardware confusion. Help please.

Discussion in 'Hardware Support' started by Micah Smith, 15 September 2017.

1. Micah Smith

Micah Smith New Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, +Arduino
    I have learned a lesson that buying items based on a single guide should be priority if your unfamiliar with any of this to begin with. I have an LED PSU with 5v 30a, a RPi 2, and a WS2812B LED strip 5m 60leds. What I have since realized since these things arriving, is that I do not have the 4 contacts on the LEDs, the LEDs I have only have 3. I'm figuring out it seems that I cannot use a RPi 2 the PSU and LEDs only, because of the lack of that extra contact.

TLDR if the base setup I currently have is a led power supply, a RPi 2 v2, and a strip of WS2812B. Than I need an audrino to add into the mix to get it working? Is this correct?

2. penfold42

penfold42 Moderator Developer

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    No arduino necessary. It I would recommend a level shifter.

There are 3 led driver types that support the ws2812 leds.
    Ws2812b - rpi1 only, don't use

Ws281x - good for any pi and uses a pwm capable pin. Conflicts with analog audio
    May also cause dma conflicts

Ws2812spi - good for any Pi and uses the SPI MOSI pin but needs a fixed core_freq

3. Micah Smith

Micah Smith New Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, +Arduino
    I already have the WS2812B now so I'm committed. I found this from some research in the forums here. That's all I need? One of those attached to the pi 2?

4. penfold42

penfold42 Moderator Developer

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    Yep - that's the one.

It might work without it but it's not guaranteed as it's out of spec

5. Micah Smith

Micah Smith New Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, +Arduino
    Thanks for replying. Only similar instructions I'm finding are built on breadboards. That normal? Know any posts of hand or a guide that uses it and explains the connecting pattern.