Hyperion on a Ultrawide PC Monitor [video]

• Hi guys! Before anything, a huge thanks for all the developers of Hyperion, thanks to you i have a wonderful new gaming experience and my unique lightning setup is real, and it was really easy to implement it too. Thanks again!

Well my initial project was the conventional TV Ambilight, the problem is that behind my TV i have a black wall, and that combined with a low pixel count WS2818B (30 leds per meter) the brightness wasn't enough, it nearly didn't make any difference to have the ambilight on.

So i changed the whole project to use it in my PC monitor cause i have a white wall behind it, so i bought some APA102 led strips, installed the Windows Grabber and here are the results:

The system in game

Hyperion helping with the illumination theme. The led strip in the desk isn't controlled by the hyperion, yet hahaha.

Behind the scenes, Pi3 controlling the APA102. Looks like a bomb, i know hahahaha.

Gameplay video:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Some useful comments:

• In the games that i tried the grabber doesn't work with Fullscreen mode, you have to use the Borderless option, but not all games have that option, some you'll have to edit manually settings and others don't work at all.

• The grabber is DirectX based, so OpenGL and Vulkan games probably won't work. I tried Doom 4 and couldn't figure it out how to make it work.

• In my case the Windows Grabber uses about 5 to 10% of CPU for the image grabbing.

• As you can see, the ultrawide aspect works, but it is not as simple as it seens because combining the fact that the grabber only works with borderless window and not all games support the 21:9 ratio, sometimes it's really a challenge. For example, in Dark Souls 3 i had to hex edit the executable to make it work with 21:9 in window mode, and used the borderless gaming software to take care of application top bar so it doesn't interfere with the ambilight.

• Games that works out of the box (just use borderless) that i tried: Battlefield 1, Forza Horizon 3, Overwatch, Path of Exile.

• Games that works with some manually workarounds: Dark Souls 3, Bioshock Remastered.

Next Steps:

• The blue seens a bit off, i'll redo the calibration

• I'm gonna use another Pi in the desk led strip and forward a hyperion config. For now im using a arduino to control the WS2818B with Adalight NeoPixel Library. It's really far away from the Pi3 behind the monitor, so i can't just control it directly (i tried it before and it works btw, you just have to use Adalight in the Hyperion config and connect the arduino to the Pi via USB).

• In fact, my PC is also a Hackintosh, but for now the Hyperion only works in windows using the Windows Grabber. I have to research how to use it in MacOS yet.
  • for MacOS there is a own version from hyperion, it has a osx-grabber...
    https://github.com/hyperion-pr…ster/CompileHowto.txt#L39

Nice Video! Your colors looks really good!! You Could extend the Stripe at your desk with an esp8266 :)

Yeah, i didn't understand this how to at glance but i'm gonna look into it in. I just wonder how the MacOS grabber is gonna send the colors to the Pi3 controlling the strip? Via SSH?

Hmmm good idea about the esp8266. I'm not a programmer but maybe i can figure out, probably im gonna set up a adalight hypercon but instead of USB device i should figure out a way to send it via wifi right ?

• Amazing pictures!
    Thank you for sharing this, it is indeed a inspiration :)
    HyperionScreenCap has some issues/limitations i hope we see some progress to resolve it.
    MacOS: If everything goes well, we distribute a pre compiled .dmg along with the next version.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!