Hyperion on screen projector

• I don't know the policy of replying to a year old thread here but if TS or anyone else be interested I just did this (and then stumbled into this thread at some point), I was using the ws2812b leds, 192 of them, close to 7 meter so 30/meter leds.

I got a power supply from ebay 100W 20A 5V, I estimated these leds would use about 50-60W so that should be sufficient.

For the mounting I built a wooden frame to hang behind the screen, also seem to work really well, the lights does not leak or ruin the picture in any way.

The led strip is powered by the 100W psu as said, it was necessary to stretch the ground/negative from that to the Arduino ground and the pi as well (You can power the pi with the 100W psu too, I recommend cutting a micro usb and hooking the cables (red and black) to it instead of using the pins, as I've read those lack protection).
    In any case not all of these 3 are on the same ground I experienced constant flicker in the leds at least.

My wiring is as following: From surround/all sources->hdmi splitter->(projector) && hdmi2av converter->video grabber with chipset stk1160->raspberry pi->ardunio->leds.

• Thank you and sure I can, didn't take any up close of Arduino etc now, and cables a little mess as I'm waiting for some spacers to try mount everything inside a box nicely.

(One thing I forgot to mention about the Arduino was I found a 220ohm resistor laying around that I used as a pin on the data cable to limit noise.)

The wood pieces I cut for my frame had a little bend on them though, but tried angling then as good as I could to straighten, don't feel like it affects the lights at least.

Enjoy the pics, I can probably get more close up of the wiring too later if that's wanted.

• Figured I'd put a little update on this, today I ended up moving all the parts into a wooden box I made in advance for it, but once all was in there I encountered endless flickering and blinking again, random leds on the strip stopped working etc or just blinking a super dim red light.

To check if it was my strip shorting or anything I compiled some custom direct color testing scripts to the Arduino and it colored perfectly every single led so I assumed it was not the lack of power or anything defect on the led strip itself, but something in the box/interference.

Out of endless testing I took all parts out again from the box but blinking was still persistent (blinking constant green now on NTSC, white on pal I think).

Just to have given everything a try I glued a layer of aluminum foil to the back of it where circuit board etc are mounted, did a test with those mounted in there before I put everything together again, blinking was still persistent.

Figured I just put everything back together and wait for the level shifters I ordered to arrive and hope that fixed the issue, last test before giving up on that for now, everything mounted in the box it suddenly worked again, well partly, still lacking a few leds on the end but blinking have stopped, I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, I noticed that when even just securing the cables up to the frame to the wall there was some flicker while touching them.

• So yet another update, I somehow manage to fix all kinds of flicker and blinking I ran into after installing it to a box now.

I don't know what did it, I just tried several things some of which is still installed;
    - A "hacked" USB hub to use external power from the 100w psu, trying to boost signal from the video grabber to the pi.
    - A ferrite bead installed on the DC of the PSU I took from a left over cable.
    - Aluminum foiling several cables to try limit interference.

Can't tell what actually fixed it, because it was still blinking on the next boot, until I restarted the Hyperion from ssh in hypercon.
    After that restart I could no longer recreate the blinking but I was still lacking several leds on the end of the strip, but after changing the grabber v4l2 setting 'size decimation' from 8 to 1 they all suddenly worked again.

Now I also noticed the color degradation at this point on white, end of the strip was fading to orange color so I stretched the power cables to the middle of it and connected them, and to the end of the strip to even the power/color as I found out they can take power in both directions.

• Been testing it a bit now and doing some color calibrations, colors of the projector isn't as vivid as most TV's on the market really so trying to tone them down a bit, and make the white light less pink.

I'm pretty happy with the end result, but I have noticed some occasional flicker, like a quick white lightning either on the whole strip or a small section usually bottom, not frequent, may happen a couple of times after each other if it's happened once before it goes away again, also only noticed when the strip is rather dark already/low light on the screen.
    Haven't pinned down the cause of this yet but isn't a big issue for the time being.

Animated gif test again

Current configuration in hypercon

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!