LEDs not Reacting when Starting Hyperion

• Hello!

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide me.

I'm fairly new to the Raspberry Pi and very new to working with LEDs and electrical wiring like this. My girlfriend actually bought me the parts for this project for Christmas, but I haven't been able to get it working. I've looked through the tutorial posted here. I have also used the YouTube video made by GreatScott as a guide for myself.

I have everything wired up behind the TV, OSMC installed on my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, and Hyperion configured to match my setup. My problem is when I finally get the config sent over to the Pi through SSH and select Start the LEDs don't react - nothing happens.

I have this setup to use my Chromecast as the display (thus why all the extra hardware) that the LEDs will react to. Of course I have tried this with the internal display grabber to no avail as well.

I have everything already setup and hooked up (I think correctly). I used the extra jumper cables to solder the LEDs together as well as hooked them up into the DC adapter to power the LEDs (not sure if that is where I went wrong?)

The wiring is hooked up as the tutorial shows:

I don't receive any errors from the SSH log in Hyperion when I send the config or set it up at all.

I hope this information is enough to help me figure out why my LEDs won't turn on when I select Start in Hyperion.

• personal experience: can you try it first with raspbian, and if its not working on raspbian please do the spi-test
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/do…README.md#troubleshooting

Thanks for the reply!

I actually originally had Raspbian installed but it did not work. I installed OSMC because that's what the guide that I linked to was setting up. I will try again with Raspbian and run the spi-test when I'm home in about five hours.

• Maybe start smaller...
    Raspbian, directly to the led strip. Using the Hyperion android app. Then test using windows and the hyperion capture thing for windows. then keep adding stuff and keep testing. Long process but it'll help determine where the fault is

• I freshly installed the Raspbian Jessie with Pixel image from here. So far no luck with just the image. I'm a bit confused with the spi-test part..

This is setup so far to use an internal grabber, so I don't have the rest of the rig plugged in, just the Pi and the LEDs. I tried to take a screenshot of what the grabber was displaying but it only turned out to be grey.

[SPOILER="SSH Log From installing, starting Hyperion"]
    SSH Traffic:
    ssh connected
    ssh out: cd /tmp && wget -nv -N https://raw.github.com/hyperio…r/bin/install_hyperion.sh && chmod +x install_hyperion.sh && sudo sh ./install_hyperion.sh HyperConInstall ; rm install_hyperion.sh
    ssh out: Last-modified header missing -- time-stamps turned off.
    ssh out: 2017-01-17 02:04:07 URL:https://raw.githubusercontent.…r/bin/install_hyperion.sh [14539/14539] -> "install_hyperion.sh" [1]
    ssh in: *******************************************************************************
    ssh in: This script will install/update Hyperion Ambient Light
    ssh in: Created by brindosch - hyperion-project.org - the official Hyperion source.
    ssh in: *******************************************************************************
    ssh in: ---> Stop Hyperion, if necessary
    ssh in: ---> Install/Update Hyperion dependencies (This may take a while)
    ssh in: ---> Raspberry Pi found, but SPI is not set, we write "dtparam=spi=on" to /boot/config.txt
    ssh in: ---> Downloading the appropriate Hyperion release
    ssh out: 2017-01-17 02:06:25 URL:https://superb-sea2.dl.sourcef…ease/hyperion_rpi2.tar.gz [1637006/1637006] -> "-" [1]
    ssh in: ---> Installing systemd script
    ssh in: ---> Starting Hyperion
    ssh in: Hyperion Installation/Update finished!
    ssh in: Please download the latest HyperCon version to benefit from new features!
    ssh in: To create a config, follow the HyperCon Guide at our Wiki (EN/DE)!
    ssh in: Wiki: wiki.hyperion-project.org Webpage: www.hyperion-project.org
    ssh in: Rebooting now, we added dtparam=spi=on to config.txt
    ssh disconnected
    ssh connected
    ssh out: sudo systemctl start hyperion.service 2>/dev/null ; sudo /etc/init.d/hyperion start 2>/dev/null ; sudo /sbin/initctl start hyperion 2>/dev/null
    ssh out: sudo systemctl stop hyperion.service 2>/dev/null; sudo /etc/init.d/hyperion stop 2>/dev/null ; sudo /sbin/initctl stop hyperion 2>/dev/null
    ssh out: sudo systemctl start hyperion.service 2>/dev/null ; sudo /etc/init.d/hyperion start 2>/dev/null ; sudo /sbin/initctl start hyperion 2>/dev/null
    ssh out: sudo systemctl stop hyperion.service 2>/dev/null; sudo /etc/init.d/hyperion stop 2>/dev/null ; sudo /sbin/initctl stop hyperion 2>/dev/null ; hyperion-v4l2 --device /dev/video0 --video-standard PAL --input 0 --width -1 --height -1 --crop-left 0 --crop-right 0 --crop-top 0 --crop-bottom 0 --size-decimator 1 --frame-decimator 2 --red-threshold 0.0 --green-threshold 0.0 --blue-threshold 0.0 --screenshot
    ssh in: hyperion-v4l2:
    ssh in: version : V1.03.2 (brindosch-99d9396/d3713a8-1469452981
    ssh in: build time: Jul 25 2016 06:54:40
    ssh in: V4L2GRABBER INFO: width=720 height=576
    ssh in: V4L2GRABBER INFO: pixel format=YUYV
    ssh in: V4L2GRABBER INFO: signal threshold set to: {0,0,0}
    ssh in: V4L2GRABBER INFO: started
    ssh in: V4L2GRABBER INFO: stopped
    sftp getFile(./screenshot.png, java.awt.Image)
    ssh out: sudo systemctl stop hyperion.service 2>/dev/null; sudo /etc/init.d/hyperion stop 2>/dev/null ; sudo /sbin/initctl stop hyperion 2>/dev/null
    [/SPOILER]

• just the loopback test, there you can see if the pins are working correct

Okay that makes more sense. It looks like it wants a wire between pin 19 and pin 21. I don't have female to female jumper wire so would it work if I run two cables (each with the male jumper connector stripped) through one of the Wago Connectors I have linked to in my original post?

• should be ok, just give it a try

Here are my results and a picture of the connection.

EDIT: I realize now that the connections are in pin 19 and 23, which would be the reason for the Loopback test not showing anything.. But would that be the reason this isn't working? The video and tutorial on here that I have referenced had the cables connect to pins 19 and 23..

I will attempt the loopback test again with the cables plugged into the correct pins (19 and 21) later tonight.

• mh looks like your spi pins are damaged...

I don't like the sound of that.. :(

I followed this guide with the same result.

Is there anyway it could be the cables or Wago connector I'm using?

I also have that plugs in to the GPIO on the board. After the driver is configured, it works perfectly. Would that rule out that the spi pins are damaged?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I also have that plugs in to the GPIO on the board. After the driver is configured, it works perfectly. Would that rule out that the spi pins are damaged?

yes, on the interface picture is spi used, so spi should work if the screen works... can you use a short wire and shortcut the two pins with your hand? test is just a few seconds should be no porblem to hold them :)

• yes, on the interface picture is spi used, so spi should work if the screen works... can you use a short wire and shortcut the two pins with your hand? test is just a few seconds should be no porblem to hold them :)

Well.. believe it or not, I got results!

• great, the wago and the wires was maybe to long so the data get lost...

so and now install hyperion with this please

https://hyperion-project.org/w…llation-with-command-line

I got the LEDs to react to the phone app!! It's amazing! Now, I just need help getting them to react to either the internal grabber, or the GrabberV4l2. I can't seem to get either working, it still displays a grey screen when I "take a grabber screenshot" when trying to use the internal.

Then when I select the Grabber V4I2, the LEDs won't react at all.

Thanks again for the help!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!