NEWBIE: please help I'm lost

• Hi all,

As the title states, I'm new here. I recently bought a Nvidia Shield TV and a lcd tv.
    Now, I've watched youtube movies with "DIY ambilight" for years and now I'm able to do this myself. Finally! Yeaaaaaahh.

But now, I'm lost. So much information. I've read so much, I don't know where to begin, what to choose.

I read about different kind of ledstrips, different kind of hardware, etc.
    I would like to use hyperion. I'm looking for not the most expensive option. I'm a bit handy, I own a pi2.
    I was thinking this might be the quickest, cheapest option for me although not perfect but I don't know if I can oversee everything correct: In a later stage I would like to expand this perhaps.

If I use HyperionScreepCapture, I can capture my pc video. I wouldn't need to buy a hdmi-splitter and external grabber. I could sent the signal via wifi to hyperion on a arduino (which is said to be real-time whereas pi isn't and besides that arduino with esp8266 chip is much cheaper than a pi).
    With the shield tv I can stream my pc video to my pc (got that working already).

Are there limitations for choice of led when using a arduino? I read about 2801, 2812b, 281x led's. 5050 leds. And so on.
    I think I should choose 5m length (49 inch tv), 60 leds per meter. I would like to use connectors instead of soldering. I read the manual woch uses connectors.

I would like to make/have a frame that fits the standard vesa.

I would like to not have to wait 4 weeks (like ordering from china).

Maybe later, I could expand this to have all the output of the shield work with hyperion (not just via the pc).
    I would really like it if the shield itself could have hyperion working so I wouldn't need other hardware but if I read correct, this is not (yet?) possible.

Is it correct that (one of the most expensive options) lightberry uses hyperion?

Can anybody help me, tell me if I'm on the right track here?

Thanks for the help.

Wim
    The Netherlands

• Addition:

I have a pi2 (not near the tv, but could perhaps manage to fix that.
    Tried HyperionScreenCapture, first from Hansel but that didn't work, perhaps because I'm running dx11. Not trying rick's fork. I can't check to see if it works.
    When I login to my pi I start Hyperion, but can't check if that works.

Do I need a pi or arduino, or can I use a esp8266 directly attached to led?

I found some resellers in the Netherlands, of course more expensive than from China, but then I don't have to wait 4 weeks.
    Just need to know which led strip I should use. I think for arduino, you need different kind than for pi.

Any help appreciated.

Wim

• hi, any news? my case is similar to yours, i have a shield a rp2 a ws2812b strip leds but i have dont know how to connect the leds into rp2 (in what pins)? the red cable i connect to my 5v 8a adapter, but the green and white cables iam not sure?

• Hi Pedro,

I got this setup working:

Kodi addon as grabber on nvidia shield tv->pi2 hyperion->arduino (usb)->2813.
    But I couldn't get the connection pi2->arduino to work over wifi instead of usb and someone told me I didn't need the arduino anymore, so I returned the arduino and bought a pi zero wifi instead (to use instead of pi2->arduino).

Now I trying to get that working, but haven't had any success yet. There seem to be a couple of ways to do it and depending on the way you choose, you had to use certain pins. In this thread, you can follow my search, I will report my progress there:

https://hyperion-project.org/t…help.917/page-4#post-6928

Greetings,

Wim

• hi, any news? my case is similar to yours, i have a shield a rp2 a ws2812b strip leds but i have dont know how to connect the leds into rp2 (in what pins)? the red cable i connect to my 5v 8a adapter, but the green and white cables iam not sure?

Regarding the pins and colors of the colours of the cable, see here:
    https://hyperion-project.org/t…help.917/page-3#post-6885
    The 2813 has 2 data cables, yellow and green (data-in=din, backup-in=bin), black is GND (ground), red = 5V. I tied the din and the bin together.
    I have a seperate power supply for the pi and for the leds.

Hi Pedro,

I have my ws2813 (like ws2812b) working with my pi2, without arduino but with a chip. Look at the other thread I mentioned. If you have question regarding your own setup, please post them here, quoting this post of mine (so I'll get a email notification).

Wim

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!