Noob Hyperion.NG Install

• For you guys having issues, I'm a total noob at Linux, docker, and installing Hyperion in general. I struggled a long time with installing Hyperion NG but as mentioned before if you get docker installed and use the GitHub link, it's so simple. Heres links of the exact websites I used to get it done. Hope this helps all that are struggling (I know I did) but there are a few people here that are super knowledgeable. For me, I think it just came down to not enough Linux knowledge to fully understand what these Hyperion gurus are referring to, but I'm slowly learning! I'll try come back here and respond to any questions, and I can (don't expect anything too technical) probably upload my .img file so others can copy directly to sd card and go. I hope this helps some that are struggling.

This short tutorial assumes you know how to install Raspbian Stretch.

Step 1- Install Raspbian Stretch. I tried buster, but it didn't work for me.

Step 2 - Turn on SSH on Raspbian Stretch

• Launch Raspberry Pi Configuration from the Preferences menu
    • Navigate to the Interfaces tab
    • Select Enabled next to SSH
    • Click OK

Step 3- Use putty to SSH to your Raspberry PI https://www.raspberrypi.org/do…ote-access/ssh/windows.md

Step 4 - Install Docker. I used this website https://www.freecodecamp.org/n…aspberry-pi-7d24ced073ef/
    Follow up to the command "docker run hello-world"

Step 5 - Run This:
    wget -qN https://raw.github.com/hyperio…scripts/docker-compile.sh && chmod +x *.sh && ./docker-compile.sh -t rpi-raspbian-stretch

Step 6 - Load up your RPI, grab a wireless keyboard and mouse and navigate to the file system. Then navigate to /home/pi/deploy

In this folder, you should see a file called Hyperion.NG Beta.1.0.0- If you double click it should ask if you want to extract the file. Say yes and it will do so, and Hyperion will be installed. Hyperion should now start automatically when you start up your RPI.

Step 7 - On your windows pc or probably any other pc you should be able to navigate to your.ip.address.here:8090
    This should load up your settings menu for Hyperion NG. Change your settings as needed and enjoy.

• Greetings

What does Hyperion.ng bring that's different?

Can this be done over current Hyperion install or should it be "clean" install?

I personally would do a clean install. If you currently have a good working Hyperion Id just leave it as is. Personally, I just wanted to try NG. It does have a really nice web-based GUI that is simple to use. Other than that not much as far as I can see. I just wrote this to hopefully help others that were struggling. I myself don't have a lot of Linux experience so I was having issues installing NG originally.

• Thanks for taking your time and writing this tutorial in an attempt to help those who are struggling.
    Since I cant seem to figure out why the original hyperion wont properly install or work on my raspb3 I decided to try your way and the NG. I had some trouble installing Docker but have nevertheless manage to find a way and install it.I did step 5,successfully it seems. But when i go to home/pi/deploy i do not find there the hyperion file that you mentioned. However,there is a folder /home/pi/hyperion.ng with lots of sub-folders. Its size is 29.1 MiB. Could it be it already installed somehow? Does this ring any bells to you?

• Thanks for taking your time and writing this tutorial in an attempt to help those who are struggling.
    Since I cant seem to figure out why the original hyperion wont properly install or work on my raspb3 I decided to try your way and the NG. I had some trouble installing Docker but have nevertheless manage to find a way and install it.I did step 5,successfully it seems. But when i go to home/pi/deploy i do not find there the hyperion file that you mentioned. However,there is a folder /home/pi/hyperion.ng with lots of sub-folders. Its size is 29.1 MiB. Could it be it already installed somehow? Does this ring any bells to you?

That's not how mine personally went I just had I believe it was about 6-7 files. I have another RPI 3 running the normal Hyperion though and have found the best way for myself to keep it working good is not to power down the RPI and to have the grabber plugged into a powered USB hub. Once you get Hyperion working just leave everything accept the LEDs power on ( I have a smart plug that turns my LEDs on and off).

Also If you are having issues getting the original Hyperion to install this tutorial helped a lot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/raspb…tv_guide_ws2812neopixels/

• I wasnt using any kind of grabber,just rasp3 with osmc+light. Easy, right? :)
    Thanks for your input but unfortunately I feel like there is no other way but to give up on this project. After having spend dozens of hours reading any relevant post i could find on internet, installing hyperion through both hypercon and lines of code,on multiple operating systems,all without success, I realize that this is way over my head and i can not troubleshoot it on my own.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

i made a video how to compile and install...the hints are german but everyone should get it.... my first video ever...please be kind to me :sickxx:

• Your tutorial is very clear and easy to follow. Well done! :thumbup:Im so glad to try it out and managed to complete it with flying colours!
    However i think i might have 2 issues.
    1)Even after saving the configuration,resetting everything,the leds would not show any reaction. They remained turned off. Could it be because I need to first install Kodi for it to work? I tried activating one of those light effects but there was nothing. It has worked for years with original hyperion though.
    2)Then I got an idea. At the end of the tutorial you kind of hovered over lightpack at LED hardware. So i thought maybe i need to select it. And so I did...So now when i putty hyperiond it tells me "No lightpack device has been found Segmentation fault" . And it wont let me navigate to settings menu through ip adress...

Any words of wisdom as to why the lights remained silent? Any help will be much appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1) effects should work anyway..doesnt matter on which system
    2) yeah if you get a segmentation fault, than hyperion stops...so you have to restart it

just start an own thread... i will try to support you there

edit: ah and thank you :) that video thing made fun...i think i will make some other ones...how to setup it up and may a hardware related one

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!