Static flickering WS2801

• Hi,

I have for a long time been trying to get Hyperion working satisfactory, but have not succeeded. No matter what I do, my LEDs are flickering. The symptom is random, I cannot always tell precisely ‘when’ or ‘where’. The most of the LEDs repoduce the right color. So a green image is primarily green, but almost certain with flickering. I have best luck with 'moving' colors . The issue looks like this:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

I stated of following this guide: http://awesomepi.com/part-2-le…are-hyperion-in-openelec/. Yesterday I made a clean install, following the tutorial on this site gaining a better result.

Hardware:
    Raspberry Pi 3 model B (Overclocked arm 1 Ghz)
    WS2801 ca 3.5 meter 104 soldered LEDs (8.6 W/m)
    Power supply 5V 10A

Software:
    Openelec 8.0.4 (Kodi 17)

Testing:
    I have been testing the hardware with a WS2801 controller:

Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Using the controller everything is working perfectly.

Any help is appreciated. I’m exhausted from ideas.

• That sounds just the thing I need. Explains the flickering, why the controller works. Guess the problem is length and numbers og LEDs on the strip, where the voltage goes under the threshold completely. This hypothesis is also build on the fact that I had a much shorter working (at least with no flickering) when I was trouble shooting.

I can easily get my hands on a SN74HC125NE4, but since I have never use one before I am not quite sure on the circuit, in terms of a circuit diagram.

• Oh, didn't actually se the 'T', but as far as I can see from the data sheet the 74HCT125 and 74HC125 are quite similar. And I do have access to a 74HC125N.

And you are quite right, the level shift with the 74HCT125N, have indeed been covered before.

This circuit is taken from @Biggles thread.

To the best of my understanding this circuit looks very great.
    However, I don't feel safe connecting the LED power supply and Raspberry PI, therefor I cut that connection, or am I making a mistake in this?
    My wires to the RPi are only 1.5m, so I guess the 470Ω resistors are unnecessary?
    And finally isn't a 1mF capacitor quit big if its just a 'decoupling capacitor', and if so wouldn't it be better to have it as close to IC or LED's as possible?

• Allright, I did make the level shifter with the 74HTC125. I did not include the resistors or capacitors. Anyway this is the result:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!