what kodi ambilight client runs best?

• Evening All

I've been running 2 setups on 2 separate 4K TVs using a pi1,4k android box, Arduino and ws2812b strips for each TV. The android box provides the hyperion client over the network (kodi XBMC) to the hyperion server running on the pi and the Arduino connecting the strips.

I know hardware support for android isn't going to be implemented anytime soon but are there any options so I can watch my 4k movies with my setup. I know I can go down the video capture route but as some of the movies will require hdmi and run at full 60FPS I think there still could be issues going down the grabber route.

Will the bioblight kodi client support hardware acceleration in kodi and use the backend Hyperion box?

• "I can go down the video capture route"

I doubt that. Last week I looked for a 4k to AV device (similar to the HDMI2AV for 1080p to composite) and there was nothing on aliexpress.

"some of the movies will require hdmi and run at full 60FPS"
    60fps at 4k requires hdmi 2.0. It may be some time before devices that can grab from hdmi 2.0 start coming out. You may need to stick with 30fps which wouldnt make a difference with ambilight because of smoothing anyways, but will degrade your tv video quality.

New Hardware that doesn't work properly since 2020:
    202 APA102 Leds with 10amp power supply
    RPi 4 with power supply
    Windows Grabber, Win10 64bit PC
    Ubiquity Unifi Network

Old Hardware that never worked properly since 2014:
    137 ws2801 LEDs
    HDMI splitter
    HD2AV (NTSC video source)
    STK1160
    rpi2 with OSMC

• Cheers LooseChange thanks for the reply, I know lightberry do a kit that enables 4k but like you said it wont give you the full 60FPS and its only hdmi 1.4. The 4k converters I've seen that may do the job seem to be high end and cost 6 times more than I paid for the android box. May look at going down the windows route for the media centre.

Anyone else please feel free to chip in.

laters

• Wips is so easy and works very well, eliminating the grabber and converter. The only problem is when you run media center in full screen, wips no longer works and your leds go black. The workaround is to run media center in windowed mode and drag the window to become larger than your desktop. Then it works great (I have only tested it at 1080p 60fps).

RPi 4 with power supply
    Ubiquity Unifi Network

137 ws2801 LEDs
    HDMI splitter
    STK1160
    rpi2 with OSMC

• Think I may have the answer but all depends on if the 4k analogue converter can accept a signal from a 4k hdmi 2.0 splitter. I know one end will be hdmi 2.0 and the converter only support 1.4 bit its job will be only to capture pics.

Basically I'd have the true 4k@60 from one side going to TV and the other side going into the 4k converter. Most of my movies are h.265 and kodi just dies without hardware support for larger movies. It may not do all the 4k content but at least i'de get full crisp 1080p.

Splitter E SDS Splitter Cascaded units Outputs

4k Converter Revesun Standard definition Converter Composite Supporting

All ending up in the pi via Easycap Video Capture Adapter Support

• Very cool hardware finds. Looks like the splitter and 4k2AV are $63CDN each.
    Since the 4k2AV is only 30fps (hdmi 1.4b) I hope your converter is able to pass the 60fps signal without the converter going crazy.
    Looking forward to your bleeding edge results!

There is a 65" 4k tv here for $750 CDN at costco for any canadians reading this.

The easycap dc60 doesnt say if it is stk1160 or UTV007. You sure it is a good one?

RPi 4 with power supply
    Ubiquity Unifi Network

137 ws2801 LEDs
    HDMI splitter
    STK1160
    rpi2 with OSMC

• Very cool hardware finds. Looks like the splitter and 4k2AV are $63CDN each.
    Since the 4k2AV is only 30fps (hdmi 1.4b) I hope your converter is able to pass the 60fps signal without the converter going crazy.
    Looking forward to your bleeding edge results!

There is a 65" 4k tv here for $750 CDN at costco for any canadians reading this.

The easycap dc60 doesnt say if it is stk1160 or UTV007. You sure it is a good one?

Ive been away for the last week but the grabber is UTV007.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!