Hyperion.ng: random flickering because of webcam?

• Yes!
    So if I do this with the ESP connected (using Wifi) to the Rpi, this is flickering:

If I turn off the Rpi, and let the ESP gives the default color (when there is no connection to the Rpi), this is NOT flickering (so the power supply is good, but I guess the ESP doesn't update the LEDS).

If I do this, with the ESP connected to the Rpi, and powered only by usb, this is not flickering (but the light are not very bright):

Tested with ESP8622, ESP32, a level shifter 74AHCT125, a capacitor at the +/- of the power supply, without, a resistor between the ESP and clock/data LEDS, without, etc etc.

What do I am missing here? Months that I try to understand what am I doing wrong.

• Another 74AHCT125?

Hi,

how did you config the ESP with arduino ? I had some flickering like you without the camera, and i have some idea for you.

I config the ESP with arduino using the Adalight-ESP8266.ino used by AmbiMod in his website.

You use LOLIN CH3 ESP? I needed to put 1 000 000 baudrate instead of 2 000 000 and put the exact number of LEDs

Tried to put in hyperion.json config the :

SMOOTHING CONFIG
    "smoothing" :
    {
    "type" : "linear",
    "time_ms" : 300,
    "updateFrequency" : 30.0000,

"updateDelay" : 0

if time_ms is to low, this might cause flickering

• Hey

Sorry you right maybe it will not work for 4pin leds. Here a tutorial in French you can translate in English :
    https://ambimod.jimdo.com/2017…iblioth%C3%A8que-fastled/

Maybe this can help...

Can you try to command The leds strip only with the NodeMCU ? With a PC and something like ambibox ou synlight to see if there are flickering without the RPi Zero ?

Here a tutorial again in French for SynLight

https://ambimod.jimdo.com/2017…-prismatik-et-les-autres/

• I got some time last week end.
    I changed the lib by this one that works with hyperion: https://github.com/Aircoookie/WLED
    I did some tests without hyperion, just with WLED. So from what I see, more I put some intensity, more I have flickering. Any idea?
    When I set an intensity 20%, this is more stable. When I set something like 80% red, this is a little bit stable. When I set 80% white, this is flickering everywhere.

• I got some time last week end.
    I changed the lib by this one that works with hyperion: https://github.com/Aircoookie/WLED
    I did some tests without hyperion, just with WLED. So from what I see, more I put some intensity, more I have flickering. Any idea?
    When I set an intensity 20%, this is more stable. When I set something like 80% red, this is a little bit stable. When I set 80% white, this is flickering everywhere.

How far is your led from the NodeMCU ? Because maybe if you use too long câble it can cause supply issue or data connection issue. You need to have your led cables as short as possible from your PSU and NodeMCU.
    Maybe your PSU is faulty ? But not sure because you know I tried Pi Cam as grabber like you but with WS2813. And I got flickering. Not pinkish flickering but intensity was bad like the camera could not grab the right color.
    Maybe you need to fix the exposure/gain on your camera, try some search for settings Pi Cam on manual.
    And sizedecimation is the factor the image is divided before used. For example you Pi Cam is set on 720p, if size décimation if 8 it will use 90p. If 2 then 360p and so the CPU will be highly used maybe 80/100%.

One thing I would like you to do is testing your setup just with a PC, NodeMCU and maybe the RPi but with Hyperion Screen Capture. I don’t know if you can use HSC with WiFi ? I use it with my RPi and Ethernet port... but there is no Ethernet on Pi0... if you can test just you led without the Pi Cam si maybe it’s not your PSU or your led that are faulty....

And maybe you need a level shifter with the nodeMCU as you use apa102c right ? Just search in this forum you will see someone having flickering with nodemcu and apa102. He solved it by using level shifter but I can’t help with that I’m a beginner...

• Ok I read again you tested lot of thing like level shifter...

Maybe you should test Hyperion v1 not ng...
    How do you connected the led, by soldering or using fast connector angle ??

• Ok guys, after months, I have finally something that works, stable, no flickering at all.
    So I use WLEB ( https://github.com/Aircoookie/WLED ). @TPmodding, you should check it. It works well with Hyperion.
    What I did is that I soldered everything. When I did some tests, I was using some "fast connectors". It was working, but flickering. I took a breadboard, soldered a ESP32, some wire, etc etc... Everything is completely stable now, even with the 192 LEDS at 100% white using 11AMP.
    At the end I didn't use any level shifter. I have an ESP32 directly connected to the APA102 LEDs strips, driven by wifi by the camera of the Pi 0.

• Ok guys, after months, I have finally something that works, stable, no flickering at all.
    So I use WLEB ( https://github.com/Aircoookie/WLED ). @TPmodding, you should check it. It works well with Hyperion.
    What I did is that I soldered everything. When I did some tests, I was using some "fast connectors". It was working, but flickering. I took a breadboard, soldered a ESP32, some wire, etc etc... Everything is completely stable now, even with the 192 LEDS at 100% white using 11AMP.
    At the end I didn't use any level shifter. I have an ESP32 directly connected to the APA102 LEDs strips, driven by wifi by the camera of the Pi 0.

Great ! So the issue was the fast connector and the solder fixed it maybe ?

And the result with the Pi Cam as a grabber, are you satisfied ? Compared with hyperion screen capture for example ?
    I would like to use my clone Pi Cam in future next year

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!