Ambilight with RPi4, hdmi grabber and Denon AV-reciever

• here it is in English
    I do not think I have read this solution but can be tested so as not to depend on a splitter which will downscale the 2 outputs of the amplifier splitter or if we do not use the amplifier the splitter and have SDR for the grabber and HDR to the TV since it is the outputs that balance with the lowest output .
    Source-> amplifier | -> SDR splitter -> grabber -> PI
    | -> TV
    Source-> 4k HDR splitter | -> SDR splitter-> grabber -> PI
    | -> TV
    With this configuration we would keep the HDR 4k HDCP2.2 etc outputs to the TV and to the pi we would have a downscalle to SDR before the grabber? what do you think ??

• @Puck Have you tried if Dolby Vision is working? Since I saw from your EDID Emulator your TV should do DV. What does the "HDMI Information" say now, with the cheap Videograbber attached?

My TV does DV, but is limited to 30Hz for DV over HDMI (don't ask me why) so I never really use it on my Shield. If I really want DV I use the app on the TV which means I can't use Ambilight anyway. But to answer your question: I have not tested DV material. The grabber shows up as support for HDR10/HLG only, so no DV. Might work with the EDID Emulator in between, but again, I have not tested this and am not using this right now.

I can do a quick test later today or tomorrow if you want :)

HyperHDR & HASS on Raspberry Pi 4 | 4K 4:4:4 Grabber 60hz | Wemos D1 Mini - 221 LEDS (WLED UDP) | LG OLED55B6V | Denon AVR-X3700H | Nvidia Shield Pro | PlayStation 4 Pro

• My TV does DV, but is limited to 30Hz for DV over HDMI (don't ask me why) so I never really use it on my Shield. If I really want DV I use the app on the TV which means I can't use Ambilight anyway. But to answer your question: I have not tested DV material. The grabber shows up as support for HDR10/HLG only, so no DV. Might work with the EDID Emulator in between, but again, I have not tested this and am not using this right now.

I can do a quick test later today or tomorrow if you want :)

Yes, my TV with Shield TV is limited the same. But since Netflix provides DV just with 24Hz it doesn't matter. Still, I want to get Ambilight working there as well, so I would really appreciate if you could test it in the coming days :) So far it seems to me that this could be a much cheaper way to get HDR/DV done in comparison to buying the HDFury Diva.
    There will be still the problem with the settings on RaspPi/Hyperion for changing to HDR/DV, but this is a problem for later :D

• Yes, my TV with Shield TV is limited the same. But since Netflix provides DV just with 24Hz it doesn't matter. Still, I want to get Ambilight working there as well, so I would really appreciate if you could test it in the coming days :) So far it seems to me that this could be a much cheaper way to get HDR/DV done in comparison to buying the HDFury Diva.
    There will be still the problem with the settings on RaspPi/Hyperion for changing to HDR/DV, but this is a problem for later :D

Yes I know, but I just don't like switching refresh rates all the time, and prefer the smooth interface in 60Hz. I tried to do this automatically through an app but this particular use-case doesn't see to be supported. I still need to investigate switching to 30Hz automatically based on app usage.

I use the HyperHDR fork and Home Assistant (see signature) to automatically turn on tone-mapping when my receiver sees it's outputting HDR. Works perfectly!

I will do a small test to see if I can get DV content to work this weekend and will report back :)

HyperHDR & HASS on Raspberry Pi 4 | 4K 4:4:4 Grabber 60hz | Wemos D1 Mini - 221 LEDS (WLED UDP) | LG OLED55B6V | Denon AVR-X3700H | Nvidia Shield Pro | PlayStation 4 Pro

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Puck ()

• @Infest Just tested this for you: I am able to trick the receiver easily into thinking the grabber supports Dolby Vision and it actually picks up a signal, just not a signal that is very useful. All colors are pink/purple/greenish. Not sure if there is a way to fix this with this particular grabber.

I guess you would need a grabber that specifically supports DV. Not sure if (cheap ones) exist.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Puck ()

• Sorry that I asked in German.

Do you use USB2.0 or 3.0?
    I suspect USB2.0 when I see your results.

Regards pclin

Very late response to this, but I found out this particular grabber is actually indeed a USB 2.0 device falsly marketed as USB 3.0 (with even the blue USB connector). So yeah, you where right. I can't be bothered too much with it, because it does fully work for all my needs.

• Would this new splitter (with any hdmi grabber) be good solution for 4k HDR incl. CEC, ARC, HDCP 2.2? I like the full description from the manufacturer what exactely to expect from this splitter. The grabber must support full HD and HDR, I think.
    https://feintech.eu/hdmi-split…fuer-av-receiver-soundbar

EDIT: I've ordered this splitter now together with this HDMI-USB garbber:
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08BKNJP7N. Will report how they works

• Hello, excuse my english,

In my case I have 3 HDMI sources connected to a soundbar / AV receiver and from there the signal to my TV (FullHD, not 4K).

Currently, one of the soundbar inputs, is a Raspberry 3 with Hyperion. This has been working perfectly for years.

Now I want to use the LEDs + Hyperion with Netflix / Disney + (from another source: Xiaomi TV Box) and also for a Nintendo Switch (the third source).

I am thinking of putting an HDMI grabber between the soundbar output and the TV input. The maximum resolution will be FullHD. I have some doubts:

- Is there really a difference in using a grabber at 30 or 60Hz? (my LEDs are APA102 in case that influences)

- I preferred to use a loop grabber to save me inserting a spliter, but I have doubts about any of these it would do (there is a 30 and 60Hz version). I wanted it to support HDMI-CEC to control the soundbar from the TV remote like I do now:
    https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4001294726740.html
    https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32991659016.html

You see that I don´t have high aspirations in terms of quality and I don´t see a complicated installation either. I'm interested in not spending too much money. I think it is possible.

Thank you. Greetings.

• @Infest Just tested this for you: I am able to trick the receiver easily into thinking the grabber supports Dolby Vision and it actually picks up a signal, just not a signal that is very useful. All colors are pink/purple/greenish. Not sure if there is a way to fix this with this particular grabber.

I guess you would need a grabber that specifically supports DV. Not sure if (cheap ones) exist.

Have you made any progress with this? I have the exact same issue, with Dolby Vision only. regular 4K HDR works perfectly.

Would this new splitter (with any hdmi grabber) be good solution for 4k HDR incl. CEC, ARC, HDCP 2.2? I like the full description from the manufacturer what exactely to expect from this splitter. The grabber must support full HD and HDR, I think.
    https://feintech.eu/hdmi-split…fuer-av-receiver-soundbar

EDIT: I've ordered this splitter now together with this HDMI-USB garbber:
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08BKNJP7N. Will report how they works

I contacted Feintech about their splitters and they don't support Dolby Vision downscaling, is your Pi able to capture the image OK?

• @puntoboy There is nothing to make progress on. The grabber I use simply can't handle Dolby Vision and I don't know of any HDMI grabbers that can.

• @puntoboy There is nothing to make progress on. The grabber I use simply can't handle Dolby Vision and I don't know of any HDMI grabbers that can.

No problem :) Wouldn't it be better to downscale the signal first, then you can capture it at 1080p? :) I think the problem with that approach is that Dolby Vision down-scalers are expensive.

• No problem :) Wouldn't it be better to downscale the signal first, then you can capture it at 1080p? :) I think the problem with that approach is that Dolby Vision down-scalers are expensive.

Downscaling and Dolby Vision are completely separate from each other. It doesn't matter al all. You simply need a device that either can process Dolby Vision or can convert it to an SDR signal somehow. That can be a splitter / scaler / grabber.

• Downscaling and Dolby Vision are completely separate from each other. It doesn't matter al all. You simply need a device that either can process Dolby Vision or can convert it to an SDR signal somehow. That can be a splitter / scaler / grabber.

Downscale/convert, same thing really, but yes that's what I meant, either converting it to standard HDR or SDR.

• I know this is old but I got an Onkyo TX-NR6100 Sub-out working with Hyperion NG while keeping 4K output to my TV.

Parts List from Amazon (CA):

1080p USB capture card (ID 534d:2109 MacroSilicon USB Video)

EDID Scaler (EZ-EX11HAS-PRO by easycoolav dot com)

I set the 5-scaler dip switch positions to all "On" (down position).

PIN 1: On = Test Mode (send HDCP is available)

PIN 2: On = Scale output to 1080p

PIN 3 - 5: On = EDID to AVR is 4K60Hz (444) 8-Ch HDR

AVR Sub Out -->EDID Scaler In --> EDID Scaler Out -> USB Capture Card --> RPi 3 w/Hyperion

I set the EDID setting to max 4K so the TV will be the lowest factor when the AVR decides which max settings to use.

• No 4K will not work with the grabber on the sub out. You need a grabber with 3840x2160 60 Hz at the input. See HERE from € 9.60

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!