Help with RPi camera and Hyperion

• Hello everyone,
    first time posting here.

I am trying to build my own ambilight.

After following my first set of instructions, I noted at the very end, that I was missing an essential part to finish my setup: an external hdmi source so the pi actually has something to process.

Another user mentioned that it is possible to use a camera set up so the pic can use the camera signal as an image source and display the colors based on that.

I have bought a pi camera and have hyperion.ng installed on libreelec.

What I need help with is getting the camera to work and telling hyperion to process that image. I have tried following this page to set up a stream. However, when going to the webpage, I don't have a stream available in the stream window. On top of that I am not even quite sure if this is what I need.

Can anyone help me or point me to a set of instructions to

a) get the camera ready that hyperion can work with it and

b) point me to help which settings I have to activate in hyperion.ng so it knows that I am running a pi camera and not a usb one.

I'd appreciated any help that gets me ahead in this as I have spent a LOT of time trying stuff out and I don't really know how to progress from here.

• What I need help with is getting the camera to work and telling hyperion to process that image

good question, i think its a stream coming into the PI so maybe on Dispmanx setting ( thats grabbing the desktop of the PI ) or trough network?
    you can't see any video out of this camera (in Hyperion.NG) without a monitor connected to your Raspi HDMI.

so with SSH or VNC its impossible to get an image out of your camera
    i have no idea if Hyperion.NG supports a setting to grab this camera stream,
    maybe it does but you have to wait for Admin/developer because i never saw your setup and what you want to do here on this forum .

goodluck. :thumbup:

• Hi

you can take a look on my old tutorial
    https://ambimod.jimdofree.com/2017/07/07/tuto-faire-du-hue-hue-like-avec-une-caméra-un-raspberry-et-hypérion/

You will find a step by step process to make recognise your camera... you need to adapt to Hyperion ng next.

i use it for Hue like because trapezoidal tools wasn’t yet implemented when I wrote it so you can use it now for Ambilight if you put your camera in the right angle.

otherwise an hdmi input for RPi exist. I have one at one and need to made new test to see if I can use it to replace my hdmi grabber ( same as camera but a hdmi connector at the end ).

I hope you will succeed ( but you need to change your OS first ).

Ps : in french sorry

• so to @AmbiMod , :sick::confused::whistle:;)

so yes you can do that, use the Pi camera in Hyperion.NG> the question is do you really want that.

• max resolution 720P any higher delays core/arm speed of the PI
    • delay in leds, direct usb HDMI input/PROTOport 19445 is ( i think) always faster/better
    • camera angle should be perfect to tv, and stay that way right in front.
    • refreshrate of tv lines is vissible with camera in live feed of Hyperion > so also in leds

i read the tutorial and boy boy, hats off and again for crazy Ambimod > however i understand the setup and coding ( very good explained) i would say its certainly not for noobs to do this.
    I had a camera setup myself before on Hyperion.NG > just connected a 720P webcam into Raspi usb port and see what happens and start testing... the result of that was not very good, i tried several days trying to get a good image out of the camera into live feed of hyperion. . Things i mentioned above.

so if you are going to do this @fice then also hats off to you ( and make it work) because i see litterally hours and hours of work.

goodluck!

• :D I almost made a tutorial for everything to explain Ambilight and I know that I’m crazy :eek:

The last one take hours of reading and a lot of people stop to read because too long and too complicated.

I want to explain and want people understand what they are doing, not make sheep to just click on button.

And you’re right camera is not good as expected. I think we gonna be slave of wires for many years.

Thanks for the compliment :thumbup:

• just to add on for @fice , LibreELEC has a separate addon in the LibreELEC repo for the camera drivers, it might be bundled in with the Raspberry Pi Tools, so if your still on LibreELEC that should be your first step in detecting the actual camera module.

if the camera doest work after installing the driver package above or Hyperion cant use the signal provided i.e your camera is not listed in the capturing hardware section - then you would be going down the hard route.

HyperBian would probably be a better choice as you will find a lot more ubuntu/debian guides that may help you achieve your goal in another way rather than the LibreELEC guide as you may need additional packages that may not be the easiest to install, you have to remember that guy built that entire setup based purely on what he required it for and that was to go to a browser type his Pi ip and a port number and view what his camera was viewing in a browser, Librelec was only used to host the video and make it available on the internet via docker containers.

If you followed his guide your problem would be how do you link that container so that Hyperion can use it and will Hyperion accept the format the video is in if you do get it all connected?

I take it the lack of HDMI input is because you are solely using your smart TV? Or is Kodi your your media centre and that's why you went LibreELEC? hopefully its the latter as things would get so much easier as Platform Capture would be what your looking for in Hyperion

as @jeroen warmerdam states, its can be problematic and not very accurate and time consuming with multiple points of failure to troubleshoot. and as @AmbiMod tutorial looks, its not for the faint hearted to actually get it up and running.

only other way i can think of if its due to the smart tv would be a firestick or roku stick, something that will give you a signal and access to the apps you use but on the other hand would require additional hardware and wont do anything for your terrestrial tv.

Good Luck, Hope you get it sorted :thumbup:

• I believe this video shows it can be done with a camera and, as far as I can see, with great results. It's the Ambivision PRO. There's no lag there.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Do you believe something like this could be achieved with hyperion?

• no,

Ambivision has special software/hardware to filter out the distortion from tv refreshrate, also a special camera thats capable of weird angles.
    Hyperion doesn't work that way and only purpose is to directly project video image into grabber or PROTObuffer.

so how i see it you will never have the same effect with only a camera into hyperion.
    Its laggy and slow/ colours is off, and camera has to be right in front of the tv to get a image for the leds,
    Ambivision doesn't need that and you can put the camera in all kind of angles.

so recap, Hyperion and Ambivision are not the same and with the one or the other you will not have the same results..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!