APA102 Vs WS2812B - different question to the usual

• Given the recent developments made by Penfold42, usual given difference is the WS2812Bs needing an arduino to drive them and therefore more work to set up isn't relevant any more.

What I'd like to know is are the APA102s still worth twice the price, I've read that the gamma, brightness levels and response are a lot better than the 2801s but can't find any mention of how they compare quality wise to the WS2812Bs.

Anyone made the comparison?

• Given the recent developments made by Penfold42, usual given difference is the WS2812Bs needing an arduino to drive them and therefore more work to set up isn't relevant any more.

What I'd like to know is are the APA102s still worth twice the price, I've read that the gamma, brightness levels and response are a lot better than the 2801s but can't find any mention of how they compare quality wise to the WS2812Bs.

Anyone made the comparison?

I've been using WS281Bs (60 LED/M) for over a year and half now and I haven't had any issues at all really. Brightness and gamma seem perfect to me, I guess they can easily be adjusted via Hyperion too. I think I only paid around £16 for 5M for them too. Also I don't use arduino or level shifter either.

• I've been using WS281Bs (60 LED/M) for over a year and half now and I haven't had any issues at all really. Brightness and gamma seem perfect to me, I guess they can easily be adjusted via Hyperion too. I think I only paid around £16 for 5M for them too. Also I don't use arduino or level shifter either.

Thanks, much appreciated. Thought I'd do the level shifter regardless of which i went for as it can't do any harm and they're only 49p from Maplin :)

• Thanks, much appreciated. Thought I'd do the level shifter regardless of which i went for as it can't do any harm and they're only 49p from Maplin :)

I already have an Arduino Uno, should I get the ws2812b and use the Arduino? Or should I buy the more expensive apa102? Is it worth nearly 3x the price of the ws2812b?

• I already have an Arduino Uno, should I get the ws2812b and use the Arduino? Or should I buy the more expensive apa102? Is it worth nearly 3x the price of the ws2812b?

I haven't tried any 2812b but if you buy from the likes of AliExpress you should be able to find apa102s for around £35 for 5m of 60 LEDs/m. Not a lot more in the scheme of things for what is generally considered the best and potential headache free installation, your money though obviously.

• I haven't tried any 2812b but if you buy from the likes of AliExpress you should be able to find apa102s for around £35 for 5m of 60 LEDs/m. Not a lot more in the scheme of things for what is generally considered the best and potential headache free installation, your money though obviously.

Would 144leds look better tho? Or would it be hard to notice the difference? And curious why apa102 over ws2812b? I can save 3x if I get the ws2812b. Is the apa102 worth 3x the price? Ive got the arduino already, i thought with the arduino its easy works properly?

Thanks
    Gersh

• I'm happy with my 30led /metre ws2812b strips around my 70 inch.

I do wonder if adding more leds would be better. Just a random thought before bed :
    It may even be worse because you'd have more brightness and then have to adjust the colour settings to match the screen.
    You'd then have less dynamic range

Thoughts anyone ?

• I'm happy with my 30led /metre ws2812b strips around my 70 inch.

I do wonder if adding more leds would be better. Just a random thought before bed :
    It may even be worse because you'd have more brightness and then have to adjust the colour settings to match the screen.
    You'd then have less dynamic range

Thoughts anyone ?

Judging by what people say, I think I'll go for either the ws2812b or the apa102 in 60led/m. It's a good balance and doesn't consume stupid amounts of power.
    Now the question is, ws2812b for £15 or apa102 for £40. Is it worth like 2.5x? I'm tempted to go for the ws2812b, as people are saying it's pretty decent for the price. And I already have an Arduino.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!