Disable UDP Activity when there is no signal

• Hi All,

So I have been finalizing my Hyperion project and I'm really happy with the results except for the following. I'm using the typical HDMI switch, HDMI splitter (*3), raspberry pi with USB grabber in conjuction with a NodeMCU.

In conjunction with another project (diyHue) I have implemented a solution where my WS2812B is a Hue light when Hyperion is not in use. When one of my HDMI devices is active then Hyperion becomes active. See my current posts here in Github:

https://github.com/diyhue/diyHue/issues/322

For the most part this works. I'm using UDP from Hyperion to stream to a Node MCU (ESP8266) but have had to code around an issue where Hyperion is constantly sending a UDP stream even when there is no signal/no HDMI device active.

I have noted 2 scenarios.

1. Hyperion is sending a constant UDP stream of black (R=0,G=0,B=0) when the TV is turned off and no hdmi device is active.I have coded around this scenario to release the WS2812B strip for DiyHue control. This works fine.

2. When the TV is on and there is still no HDMI device active, Hyperion is constantly sending a UDP stream of blue. When I grab the screen, the blue "No signal" screen is displayed so Hyperion is constantly streaming this screen colour. I could add another condition to handle this but its more complicated.

Ultimately I need Hyperion to stop sending a UDP stream when there is no signal. I have looked at another post where disabling smoothing might help but this really degrades my Hyperion experience and is not an option.

Can anyone advise as to a possible configuration where Hyperion will not send a UDP stream when there is "No Signal". Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In Hyperion.NG this is addressed when a device is switched off.
    Disabling a device results in 1 write Black and then network streaming is stopped.

For REST devices, e.g. Nanoleaf, the device is switched-off per API call.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would need to check, if there is a missing signal check....
    Nevertheless, disabling a device is possible via browser or via api call in Hyperion.ng.

I guess the Kodi addon trigger the same, if one stops a video.
    But that is a different case, as you look for grabber input.

@Paulchen-Panther I do not know ad-hoc... Is there currently a way implemented identifying that no input is provided for a configured period of time?

If not, I could give it a try and have it connected to disable the devise.

@Paul Barden What is the expected behaviour when you would like to continue grabbing?
    One enables the device again? Hyperion periodically Scans for grabber input?

• In my scenario I need Hyperion to stop streaming when there is no signal or if it detects black for a given period. I have a work around to handle "black" but it's still not power efficient for the nodemcu to continually receive a UDP stream when it's not needed. This scenario only occurs when my TV is powered off.

I also have the issue where when the TV is powered on but I'm still not using any of my HDMI devices, the UDP stream is now active sending"blue". In this case the grabber is receiving a "no signal" blue screen. I could also code a work around but can already see that the blue value is bouncing around a bit and I would need to add a range that ultimately might affect when I actually need it.

Of course when I power on any of my hdmi devices (the ones that connect to the grabber via the hdmi to av converter) then Hyperion is then working perfectly.

My problem is only on a black/ no signal blue scenario.

• So I have played with every configuration possible to make sure there wasn't something that automatically disables the UDP stream but to no avail.

I later found this post and indeed it looked like there has been no resolve for this issue with the blue no signal screen.

https://hyperion-project.org/t…o-input-signal.144/page-2

I've started to play with Hyperion NG but it looks like it does not stop the stream on a no signal scenario.

@Lord-Grey Do you know of any work around to this or perhaps point me to settings in Hyperion NG that configures the UDP stream stop Criteria?

Thanks for the help.

• I have been using Hyperion NG a lot but cannot find one good configuration that will disable the grabber but reawaken when the device is active again(hdmi device powered on).
    See below grabber image on right. Blue "No Signal Screen".

I will now try and understand the API calls disable the USB grabber. Does anyone have any tips were I can get the API documentation?.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi @Paul Barden
    FYI, I captured your requirement in a more generic way for the development backlog (https://github.com/hyperion-project/hyperion.ng/issues/667).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!