Ambilight with RPi4, hdmi grabber and Denon AV-reciever

• Hi all,
    I am not sure if the forum language must be englisch, or if german would be also ok. But I will write in englisch due to the fact that more people will understand it.

I am planning to buy an LG OLED tv 65” and mount it onto the wall. Furthermore, I will buy a Denon AV receiver x3600h which has 8 HDMI in and 3 HDMI out (4k60Hz) ports. To the HDMI in ports I will connect an Apple TV 4k and ps3/4. The HDMI Out 1 will directly connected to the LG OLED tv and the HDMI Out 2 to an HDMI grabber (which would you recommend?). The grabber will be connected via USB3 to my Raspbi 4b 4GB with Raspbian and Hyperion NG. (see attached picture) This should work fine, or did I understand something wrong?

Now, if I am watching TV over the AppleTV I should have Ambilight. If I watch Netflix/Prime/Disney+/… with the AppleTV do I also have Ambilight? Or is there an encryption which the Raspbi isn’t capable of?

I have read that there is a problem with Ambilight in combination with HDR/DolbyVison. Would it somehow be possible that I convert the video signal from the HDMI Out 2 (which goes to the Grabber) to SDR in order to not have the problems even if I am watching HDR/Vison content on the LG TV?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Franz

• I tested similar setup on newest Denon x2700h (HDR10+ and Dolby Vision theoretically possible) and I failed with simply HDR output on both devices. The devices received the split & processed signal but the quality was affected. I suspect the grabber is the problem as it probably reports EDID that causes amplifier to choose wrong (not optimal) format that fits both.

• the problem with this kind of setup is AVR always decides the lowest quality of both outputs. since OUT2 will say it can't handle HDR and/or cant do HDCP handshake, Netflix and other 4K HDR sources will output SDR and even sometimes 1080p signal. that means your shiny 4K HDR tv is worthless :(.

Solution (i am still working on this):
    option1: put a HDfury DrHDMI right after out2 of AVR. you can set a profile in this device and the Sources will see 4K HDR and no HDCP problem. after DrHDMI you have HDR signal, which needs to be converted to SDR...for this you can use HDfury X4.

option2: HDFury DIVA....this device takes a HDMI source (actually it has 4 HDMI input), and spits 3 signal...4K HDR (goes to TV), 1080p SDR (goes to RPi), 1080p with full audio (can be hooked to a AVR, but you can ignore if you use this after AVR)

unfortunately whole setup cost a lot :(

• Knowing just a little about HDR content and HDMI standards, I am not surprised this is such a complicated process. I just wish there was a simpler/cheaper way to get ambilight working with quality content.

As far as all the HDfury stuff goes, at this point there is no way I am paying that much for a diva. Its literally half the cost of my TV and more than I paid for my AVR. The reason I got the receiver I have is because I thought the second HDMI would allow for a less complicated setup for ambilight, but I have now learned HDR completely screws that up.

• It costs just around 50 euros and almost everything works with 4K, HDCP and HDR.

https://feintech.eu/hdmi-splitter-fuer-2-displays
    WisFox Videoaufnahmekarte Videograbber Aufnehmen Übertragungen

Regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• I've got a Denon x3500h so should work similarly to the OPs, this allows you to select one of the monitor ports to get the handshake info from and force it onto the other. I know this works with 1080p at least as that's how I found out the capture card recommended by @pclin won't accept a 1080p 24Hz signal. If I set it to auto you get the scenario you describe where the signal is changed to 60Hz which the grabber does support. Ironically it claims it accepts 2160 24Hz!

What I need is a grabber that can accept 1080p 24Hz if anyone knows one that is a sensible price? No need for 4k input currently if that helps.

• I tested similar setup on newest Denon x2700h (HDR10+ and Dolby Vision theoretically possible) and I failed with simply HDR output on both devices. The devices received the split & processed signal but the quality was affected. I suspect the grabber is the problem as it probably reports EDID that causes amplifier to choose wrong (not optimal) format that fits both.

Have you tried forcing it to use the handshake from one output under HDMI Video Output?

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2700H/NA/EN/GFNFSYmlxuhedk.php

• No, because I dont want to set any constant resolution on TV as my player PC using best resolution (both 1080 & 4K and various refresh rate, always HDR) for each movie. Possible solution would be passthrou on OUTPUT1 (TV) and forced format on OUTPUT2 (ezcap 269 grabber) but it seems that it's not possible, Ezcap can handle HDR for some extend but if I connect it to the OUTPUT2 on AUTO denon disables HDR for both: TV and ezcap.

Currently my PC has graphic card with 2 outputs and I use it: one to the ezcap->tv, second to the denon only for sound output.

• You totally misunderstood, I didn't say anything about fixing the output to the TV, in fact the complete opposite, the TV will accept any output it is capable of like it should and you want, Monitor 2 just gets the same regardless of it's capabilities. So if the TV can accept HDR, both outputs will get HDR.

• I have the same challenge, using monitor out of my Denon X3700H connected to the cheap WisFox Videoaufnahmekarte Videograbber Aufnehmen Übertragungen while keeping HDR capabilities on the main screen. I understand this is probably not possible, but I'm curious what exactly you mean by "forcing it to use the handshake from one output under HDMI Video Output" @Biggles, because I can't find any settings on the Denon to do so.

HyperHDR & HASS on Raspberry Pi 4 | 4K 4:4:4 Grabber 60hz | Wemos D1 Mini - 221 LEDS (WLED UDP) | LG OLED55B6V | Denon AVR-X3700H | Nvidia Shield Pro | PlayStation 4 Pro

• I have the same challenge, using monitor out of my Denon X3700H connected to the cheap WisFox Videoaufnahmekarte Videograbber Aufnehmen Übertragungen while keeping HDR capabilities on the main screen. I understand this is probably not possible, but I'm curious what exactly you mean by "forcing it to use the handshake from one output under HDMI Video Output" @Biggles, because I can't find any settings on the Denon to do so.

As per above post, set HDMI Video Output to Montior 1, see page below for details, which your TV should be connected to and connect the grabber to Monitor 2. The source will only negotiate with the TV so keeps the HDR and then pushes the same signal out of Monitor 2 ignoring what it would report as it's capabilities.

• Thanks for the clarification. I'll play around with this later today and will share my results.

HyperHDR & HASS on Raspberry Pi 4 | 4K 4:4:4 Grabber 60hz | Wemos D1 Mini - 221 LEDS (WLED UDP) | LG OLED55B6V | Denon AVR-X3700H | Nvidia Shield Pro | PlayStation 4 Pro

• As per above post, set HDMI Video Output to Montior 1, see page below for details, which your TV should be connected to and connect the grabber to Monitor 2. The source will only negotiate with the TV so keeps the HDR and then pushes the same signal out of Monitor 2 ignoring what it would report as it's capabilities.

So if I set HDMI Video Output to Monitor 1 instead of "Auto (Dual)" Monitor 2 just doesn't output anything: Hyperion gets a black screen as input (even on non HDR content). Setting it to "Auto (Dual)" works again, but no HDR on both outputs. So I am not sure how this works for you.

• So if I set HDMI Video Output to Monitor 1 instead of "Auto (Dual)" Monitor 2 just doesn't output anything: Hyperion gets a black screen as input (even on non HDR content). Setting it to "Auto (Dual)" works again, but no HDR on both outputs. So I am not sure how this works for you.

Strange, perhaps they've changed the way it works on the 700s but it's still worded the same way in the 500 manuals.

What do you get for the below under 'Information' when set to Monitor 1? On mine 1 and 2 say the same thing and when set to Auto, Monitor 2 changes to the grabbers info.

• @Biggles
    What happens when you play an HDCP signal?

Normally you shouldn't get a picture with either monitor.
    That should actually only work with FeinTech Splitter/Matrix or HDFury.

Regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!