Check LPD8806 strip for correct function

• Hello!
    I produced an ambilight setup a few years ago with a Pi1, a Fushicai USB007, a Chinese LPD8806 strip and ambi-tv from gkaindl. Everything went quite fine until (after a move) the setup stopped working. I blamed the SDcard and decided to check as soon as I find the time.
    Now that Corona has us at home, I installed a new Raspbian and Hyperion (still on the Pi1) but the led strip still showed no action. So I dug into the SPI and GPIO stuff and found out, that the two pins needed for the strip (CLK and MOSI) are faulty, which is usually the case when they received 5 volts, which I think they didn't, but hey ...
    So before I buy a new raspberry and fry the next set of SPI pins I wanted to test that the led strip works as expected.
    I noticed that a few of the smaller parts on the strip (labelled C104) have broken off, but I'm not sure if that affects the function at all. I also found out that after every even segment (where you can cut the strip) there is a 5 volts potential between CLK and DI, and none after the odd segments. Is this normal although there is absolutely no input to these pins?
    Is there a way to tell if the strip is fine?

Best regards
    Marco

• I hooked some scrap strip parts from then to the power source and it showed the same behaviour, but they might be damaged as well, don't know.
    What's different with the arduino? Is that capable of 5V?

• As I already mentioned, i dug into that stuff and, of course, also ran that loopback test. There were only zeros coming back, plus wiringPi's pintest and another tool reported the SPI pins to be damaged. So there's really no doubt about that.

• The scrap parts brought me on the track that something might be broken, but I did not actually test them, that's right.
    So the Arduino will not break if there is a shortage in the stripe that gives 5 volts to the data input? It works with 5V rather than 3,3V, right?
    Or do you have any hints how to check the stripe aside from trying to make it work? An oscilloscope maybe?

• Well, with the arduino the stripe worked like a charm, also no overvolts between CLK and DI.
    Maybe I'm lucky and will have a working setup in a few days with the new Pi zero I ordered yesterday.
    Thanks for the input!

• I use the classic version so I guess there's another problem here. After all of my tests I came to the conclusion that the video grabber is broken since I'm not able to get a signal under any operating system that I use.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!