Simple software WLED setup with Pi4 Kodi and PS4 Pro HDR

• Hey Paul, you literally just quoted the automation I used in Home Assistant to toggle Hyperion on/off. I do not use it anymore though, since I now toggle UDP control directly in WLED which is a lot faster:

Code
    - platform: rest
      name: wled_udp
      resource: http://192.168.0.50/json/state
      body_on: '{"lor": 0}'
      body_off: '{"lor": 1}'
      is_on_template: '{{value_json.lor == 0}}'
      headers:
        Content-Type: application/json

HyperHDR & HASS on Raspberry Pi 4 | 4K 4:4:4 Grabber 60hz | Wemos D1 Mini - 221 LEDS (WLED UDP) | LG OLED55B6V | Denon AVR-X3700H | Nvidia Shield Pro | PlayStation 4 Pro

• Hey Paul, you literally just quoted the automation I used in Home Assistant to toggle Hyperion on/off. I do not use it anymore though, since I now toggle UDP control directly in WLED which is a lot faster:

Code
    - platform: rest
      name: wled_udp
      resource: http://192.168.0.50/json/state
      body_on: '{"lor": 0}'
      body_off: '{"lor": 1}'
      is_on_template: '{{value_json.lor == 0}}'
      headers:
        Content-Type: application/json
  • I failed to see the automation the first time around :). Thanks for pointing it out.

I see the latest WLED release has the toggle for the UDP stream. I made a request amongst others some time ago on the WLED github.

Edit. So I too Moved to usb adalight for streaming some time ago but even with hyperion disabled adalight is always connected to the wled instance. When I override the instance I have no ability to power off the light. Do you also have this experience or have you moved back to UDP?. I've had some issue using UDP also and I cannot get it connected over raw UDP. Perhaps you could share your. Configuration page in sync settings (wled app) for your ambilight?

Your Ps4 solution also has me really intrigued because after all my setup with 4k switch/downscale etc - I eventually just had to unplug it all because my ps4 Pro would not display HDR with it connected. Very disappointing.

I will try your method tonight. Hyperion running with Ps4 Pro in Hdr is my preferred use case so here's hoping.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@Paul Barden "but even with hyperion disabled adalight is always connected to the wled instance. When I override the instance I have no ability to power off the light. Do you also have this experience or have you moved back to UDP"

You might want to look at LED Device Features, Fixes and Refactoring development item.
    It does care that network devices incl. UDP will not seed updates when the device is disabled.
    Furthermore, there is now a dedicated WLED device which leverage on the above, as well uses the WLED API to switch-off/on the WLED via it's API.

Hopefully, the changes on the hyperion/WLED integration & user experience will improve the situation you outlined.
    Furthermore, it is planned to discover WLED devices to ease configuration, but a WLED change is pending for supporting this scenario.
    You may want to test the development version or wait until changes make it to a release.

• I failed to see the automation the first time around :). Thanks for pointing it out.

Edit. So I too Moved to usb adalight for streaming some time ago but even with hyperion disabled adalight is always connected to the wled instance. When I override the instance I have no ability to power off the light. Do you also have this experience or have you moved back to UDP?. I've had some issue using UDP also and I cannot get it connected over raw UDP. Perhaps you could share your. Configuration page in sync settings (wled app) for your ambilight?

Still using USB Adalight and I can toggle the override with the code mentioned above. WLED then switches to it's own UI and I can change the lights or toggle WLED on/off. I can even just toggle WLED off/on when receiving data from Hyperion so not sure what's going wrong on your side. I can share my config later when I'm back home again.

HyperHDR & HASS on Raspberry Pi 4 | 4K 4:4:4 Grabber 60hz | Wemos D1 Mini - 221 LEDS (WLED UDP) | LG OLED55B6V | Denon AVR-X3700H | Nvidia Shield Pro | PlayStation 4 Pro

• These are my WLED settings, not sure how useful they are. The setting "Force max brightness" is easily overlooked and turning this OFF allows you to still control brightness even when external source is controlling the LEDs. Might be the why I can also turn it off?

• Small update on my setup btw: I am now using an Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) as my main media player, which uses the Hyperion Android Grabber to send screendata to a Raspberry Pi 2 running Hyperion and with the WLED connected over USB. Works incredibly well, and can now watch 4K HDR with Ambilight.

Next step is to replace by 8 year old receiver with one that has a HDMI monitor and then also use a HDMI grabber for apps with DRM (Netflix and the likes). Hope to do that end of the year.

• Thanks a lot for the info and replies.

I've checked and looks like disabling auto brightness solved it.. With regards to the nvidia shield and android grabber, does it grab everything on the shield or certain apps? . Everything would be powerful considering all the apps (Netflix, Disney plus, plex) /emulation that can be run on it.

Ive been now trying to get the android grabber working and even on 2 different android devices firetab and Samsung galaxy 10 plus, none will stream any content to hyperion.

I've ensured it's activated and using the correct port in hyperion. Also. Double checked the same. On the grabber app. I can use the Hyperion app to control LED's and my USB grabber works just fine. Only the android grabber doesn't work.. Hardly unlucky enough that both these devices are incompatible?

• Hyperion Android Grabber grabs everything: main menu and all apps, but DRM protected content like Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ e.a. return a black screen so no ambilight there. But it works for Kodi, Plex, Youtube, Twitch. Basically everything without DRM. Even 4K HDR.

For it to work nicely with Hyperion.ng you need to adjust the message priority, which has a wrong value on install (needs to be between 100 - 250 I believe). My Hyperion Protobuf Port is set to 19445 and Message Priority is 100. Then it works!

• Hi Puck.
    So I have downloaded chiaki and successfully registered. Maybe I'm Missing something but the only opportunity I have for Remote play to mimic the screen for ambilight is to actually only play it on my phone with phone controls or a connected controller to my phone.

If I use the controller that's connected to my ps4 it disconnects the remote session.

Having to play it remotely introduces lag that takes away from the experience.

Can you confirm you are playing with the controller on your ps4 (with your primary account), then you are remotely logging in with chiaki using the new remote account?.

• My issue was I created the chiaki account with my main account in error. Its all sorted now with my chiaki account using the separate account.
    Thanks for the help.

My only issue now is with WLED it seems. No matter what configuration I choose, when I disable the adalight stream in WLED (even disable after next reboot), it randomly turns back on. Must be something within my configuration.

Also, it always displays the below but I guess this is normal considering adalight is never actually stopping. It even stays this way when hyperion is fully disabled.

• Are you running the latest version of WLED? If you go to the webinterface you should see an overlay saying it's now controlled by an external source. You can overwrite this behaviour there, that should work. That is basically the same as how I set this through the rest API.

• How, how did you setup with the nodemcu wled via usb?

What are the exact settings on both end?

I csn manage it work via Wifi, but not via usb, so inneed a step by step guidence. :/

When i select adalight at configuration/led hardware/led controller

No lights on wled.
    Also hyperion turns off led device switch at remote control page.

Only updraw works with wled for me :(

What did you put here on adalight:

Specific Settings
    Output path

Default is /dev/ttyACM0 if i change it to
    /dev/TTYUSB01 led device switch stays on, but still no lights on wled side:/

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also hyperion turns off led device switch at remote control page.

If the device switch is turned off automatically an error occurred. I assume your configuration is wrong.
    Please check the log for the error.

If you cannot resolve the issue yourself, share the log and we find out jointly...

• Offizieller Beitrag

@Paul Barden

My only issue now is with WLED it seems. No matter what configuration I choose, when I disable the adalight stream in WLED

As the discussion hopped between different topics, would you mind outlining the problem scenario and your expectation again, please?
    Bear in mind that, if hyperion stops streaming then WLED will chnage to its default color (kind of amber) after a timeout occured as defined in WLED.

To suppress the behavior of WLED, you have to set Timeout = 65000 in WLED's "Sync setup" screen.

see also https://github.com/Aircoookie/…ki/Settings#sync-settings

"Timeout 100..65000 Time after which to resume normal mode once stream has stopped. 65000 will keep the data indefinitely"

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!