SDR & HDR 1080p/4k capable setup with Hyperion-NG for Media Center

• Great! I removed the manual installation of libturbo and ran your new installer(on top of the previous install as I have some config work done already) and the new installer runs without error now.
    Thanks a mil. Much to dig into now.

Can I ask, do you know where log files are stored on windows? For debugging purposes, as after a crash the logs in the webui only go back as far as the most recent launch...

• Debugging on Windows is a harder thing than doing it on Linux. At least for me now. There is no permanent log beside temporary one in webui. And heavy crashes arent log anyway as I tried to redirect them to file. There is a chance that they will apear in "Windows Event Viewer". So far python39.dll is giving me sometimes trouble and it could be related to effects plugin.

• I worked with settings imported from much older hyperion release and it was OK...at least before I discovered Hyperion feature to move LED from borders and it ruined them then ;)
    I changed some defaults but it isn't crucial thing. Alpha8 settings should work without any problems.

• I find the usb capture works great initially.
    I have 2 issues tho, perhaps related to my specific use case or perhaps not.
    Let me first clarify that I am here for usb capture on windows only. I dont have HDR needs, I just wish to remove the redundant rpi from my setup. These issues seem to be independent of config imports as i tried with a fresh install also.

1st issue - multiple instances. Creating & starting a new instance causes usb capture to fail, although background effects continue to transmit. Trying to stop or delete an instance causes the program to crash. On relaunch the instance in question still exists/is still running.

2nd issue - I am running my pc as a media center and using launcher4kodi - this runs kodi and any other external programs I point it to as a shell and prevents windows explorer from launching until kodi exits. HyperHDR for windows with usb capture will not launch with launcher4kodi.

I can confirm neither issue happens with either hyperHDR (without usb capture) or hyperionNG (never had usb capture to begin with). Both launch with launcher4kodi, both allow me to add/delete/start/stop instances without issue.

Also to clarify I am not complaining here, I am extermely grateful for the work you have put in getting this to work. I am only highlighting my issues in case they are useful for debugging.
    For now I revert to my rpi installation. If I can be of any assistance debugging am happy to help.

• Saw that you added support for switching HDR->SDR tone-mapping via API in the new pre-release. Works like a charm via Home Assistant. Now to figure out a way to track when my TV switches to a HDR signal :)

HyperHDR & HASS on Raspberry Pi 4 | 4K 4:4:4 Grabber 60hz | Wemos D1 Mini - 221 LEDS (WLED UDP) | LG OLED55B6V | Denon AVR-X3700H | Nvidia Shield Pro | PlayStation 4 Pro

• @Puck Glad it works as intended :)

OK, version 11.2.0.9 is building right now. SD images could be delayed as I have some problems with Raspbian mirrors in our country.

Summarizing

1) Support for USB grabbers Windows 10.
    Really like it and I wanted it from the start but I was not familiar enough with the Hyperion.NG project to even think about it...but time's has changed and here it goes. Seems it work very stable and fast at least for the video grabbing.

It could be useful if we want to reduce setup by remove Raspberry Pi (or we don't have any) as host for grabber and put instance of HyperHDR on Windows PC as forwarded.
    It should also works for the grabbers that aren't supported under Linux.

2) Remote control for HDR tone mapping
    I was hoping it could be easier to code it...well, it seems it also works ;)

3) HARDWARE brightness & contrast control
    For the grabbers that support them of course. I dint plan it, but it's longer story....
    There is some strange about behaving of Ezcap under the Linux and Windows.

Compare these screens, the only difference is frames per seconds:
    30FPS:
    HDR tone mappping on:
    HDR tone mappping off:

60FPS:
    HDR tone mappping on:
    HDR tone mappping off:

There is difference in the brightness...unfortunately LUT table is calibrated for the brighter 30FPS.

Under Windows 10 is even worse:

Image is even darker.

So here it goes the control of brightness & contrast to set them and make the look stable :)
    Here the brightness is set to 136 (128 is default for ezcap, contrast is unchanged)

60FPS:

HDR tone mappping on:
    HDR tone mappping off:

If you got any question private message is the fastest way to communicate.

• @Puck Glad it works as intended :)

There is difference in the brightness...unfortunately LUT table is calibrated for the brighter 30FPS.

So I tried the HDR to SDR tonemapping yesterday on a Netflix serie. In the dark scenes it would actually light up the LEDS in green, where I would expect them to be off. Could this be because of this brightness issue since I grab in 60fps, or is this just expected (since it'll never be exactly the same)? I'll try and see if I can generate my own preferred LUT table, but I have no experience with this whatsoever.

HyperHDR & HASS on Raspberry Pi 4 | 4K 4:4:4 Grabber 60hz | Wemos D1 Mini - 221 LEDS (WLED UDP) | LG OLED55B6V | Denon AVR-X3700H | Nvidia Shield Pro | PlayStation 4 Pro

• Still haven't gotten around to calibrating the leds indeed, but on SDR it's pretty spot on. I'll dive into this and see how that works out.

• Many thanks for this New version.
    Any chance you thought to make the signal detection time configurable ?

Sorry, but coding remote control for HDR tone mapping took much more of my resources than I planned it :/ I remember about it.

• @NeeeeB as I can see now the setSignalThreshold for signal detection is hardcoded in Hyperion.NG as 50...frames not seconds or miliseconds.
    So with Hyperion.NG and 7-8FPS (800x600 MJPEG) the limit is reached after ~5-6seconds and with HyperHDR with 30FPS after <2seconds or with 60FPS below 1second.
    Obviously it wont work with the movies when set like that but I moved it to the configuration... it was almost finished in Hyperion.NG but this option was hardcoded for some reason. Already committed to github, download installers in a few hour as they are being built.

Windows grabbers settings for Ezcap mistery explained:

Code
    2020-10-30T21:34:38.770Z [hyperiond V4L2:QTC:EZCAP U3 CAPTURE] (DEBUG) (QTCGrabber.cpp:883:QTCGrabber::init_device()) Brightness: min=0, max=255, default=128
    2020-10-30T21:34:38.773Z [hyperiond V4L2:QTC:EZCAP U3 CAPTURE] (DEBUG) (QTCGrabber.cpp:907:QTCGrabber::init_device()) Contrast: min=0, max=255, default=32

Contrast is set to 32 as default.
    This is different from Linux where contrast default is set to 128 and it looks better.
    Which was intended by the manufacturer?

• Automatically toggling tone-mapping based on if my Denon Receiver outputs HDR or SDR is done! Home-Assistant is great for these kind of automations.Thanks for adding this API feature @Awawa! Makes my life a bit easier :)

• @Awawa
    Just a feedback on the setSignalThreshold : it works like a charm, I've set it to 300 since my grabber is set to 30fps.
    10 seconds is perfect for my needs, no more Leds shut off while watching a movie.
    Also I really like the "advanced weighted" mode for Leds colors, more accurate.

Many thanks !!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!