Hyperion Effects New and Old

• Hello everyone. I’ve been doing some digging, trying to find some new effects for Hyperion. I’m running a Pi/Arduino setup with a WS2812b light strip. I’ve got it set up with a frame grabber and all mounted on the back of my TV. Everything works great, no issues with the setup. However, in my search for new effects, I’ve found a few from Hyperion that I didn’t have preinstalled. I’ve updated my install and no joy. So I copied the Python script and the JSON config and they show in my list of effects. A few work and a few don’t. One that doesn’t is the clock effect. I can’t seem to get that to work, despite following the instructions for adding Pillow. I’ve also seen an effect called VU Meter and I am very interested in this. It seems that it only works with music from the Pi though, and I don’t want to load a music library onto my Pi. Also had some issues with MPD but ultimately, I’d love to be able to take the audio from the frame grabber and go into the pi with that. This way I can stream music to the TV or watch YouTube music videos and have the VU visualiser rocking with the music.

Has anyone played around with adding new effects? I’d love to hear what you’ve done or if you have any suggestions on the above, I’m all ears. I’m not sure if this is allowed, but happy for this to be a discussion more than specific help, although help is always appreciated. Apologies if this isn’t allowed or the right place, as my queries relates directly with Hyperion, I thought software was the right place to put it.

• new effects all always welcome!
    maybe you should have a look here
    https://docs.hyperion-project.org/en/effects/

Yes, I have seen this. I understand the concept behind creating the effects, however I am still very new to Python. As I’ve said, I tried to copy and paste some seemingly new effects, or at least new from what I had preinstalled in my Hyperion, and some worked and some didn’t. For example one that worked is called Candle, simply flickers and amber colour like a candle effect. However I couldn’t get the clock effect to work, Flags and Collision don’t work for me either.

• Do you have a log output for us from the incorrect start of a Hyperion effect?

After going through the log files on the clock effect, it appears that the JSON was looking for clock.py when the Python file was named light-clock.py. This has now been sorted. Seems some tweeks need to be made but, at least the effect is running now and not just rebooting Hyperion. Gotta love a log file. Not much info was given on the collision and flags effect though. I've pasted the log below.

I am still interested to see what others have done around this or if anyone has developed any custom effects they would like to share. Happy to share the JSON / PY for the below if it helps. These are just for fun though, not that bothered if they work. I am more interested in the VU meter visualiser and getting this to work with the audio source from the TV.

This is what I get when I run Collision

Code
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:15:06 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: run effect Collision on channel 1
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:15:06 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: BLACKBORDER INFO: threshold set to 0.7 (179)
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:15:06 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: BLACKBORDER INFO: mode:default
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:15:06 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: effect finished
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:15:06 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: V4L2GRABBER INFO: started
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:15:06 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: effect finished

And when I run Flags

Code
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:16:45 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: run effect Flags Germany/Sweden on channel 1
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:16:45 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: BLACKBORDER INFO: threshold set to 0.7 (179)
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:16:45 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: BLACKBORDER INFO: mode:default
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:16:45 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: Traceback (most recent call last):
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:16:45 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]:   File "/usr/share/hyperion/effects/flag.py", line 2, in <module>
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:16:45 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]:     hyperion.imageMinSize(10,10)
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:16:45 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'imageMinSize'
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:16:45 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: effect finished

This is what I get when running Fire

Code
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:22:23 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: run effect Fire on channel 1
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:22:23 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: BLACKBORDER INFO: threshold set to 0.7 (179)
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:22:23 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: BLACKBORDER INFO: mode:default
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:22:24 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: Traceback (most recent call last):
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:22:24 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]:   File "/usr/share/hyperion/effects/gif.py", line 12, in <module>
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:22:24 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]:     imageList = [reversed(hyperion.getImage(imageFile))] if reverse else hyperion.getImage(imageFile)
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:22:24 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'getImage'
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:22:24 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: effect finished
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:22:24 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: V4L2GRABBER INFO: started
    ssh in:     Aug 01 18:22:24 raspberrypi hyperiond[374]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: effect finished
  • I've restarted Hyperion and this is what I get on a fresh start.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!