Hyperion with RPI3 & APA102

• I have a RPI3, APA102 LEDs, video capture card and 10 Amp power supply. Video capture works and I can see video when clicking the "monitor" button in Hyperion's upper righthand corner. Using 2020-09-014-HyperBian-lite.

The LEDs are wired with a logic converter per this diagram:

I also tried it without the logic converter for simplification.

In Hyperion>Configuration>LED Hardware>LED Controller>Controller type: is set to apa102. Hardware LED count set to 150.
    In Hyperion>Configuration>LED Hardware>LED Layout: I have Top: 50, Bottom: 50, Left: 25, Right: 25. for my layout.

I also have dtparam=-spi=on in /boot/config.txt. It is not REM'd out and was like this by default.

I know Hyperion work because I can get it working with WS2812 LEDs and Arduino. I have flicker with this setup so want to change to APA102s.

I tested the 102s with an Arduino sketch and they work just fine.

Can anyone tell me what I could be missing for the APA102 setup?

Thanks!

• If i see your setup then i would ditch the separate powersupply on your Raspi, just use the 10A 5v powersupply for that and ground everything on GND. Speaking of that, i would use a much more powerfull 5v then only 10A max, if possible ditch also the arduino you don't need it for 5v LEDS. I use for my setup a 35A on a ATX powersupply. Hope this helps

• I forgot to mention that I do have a common ground between both the RPI and APA102. I also tried powering 5V to the RPI from my main power supply but had the same result.

I don't have the arduino in my setup. I just used it to test the APA102s to make sure they work correctly as a troubleshooting step.

• indeed, normally 5v 10A powersupply should be enough.
    I have a digital meter in my setup so i can check how much V/A the setup is using, with only 96 leds its quite high already> with the PI and leds its 6,5 Amps.

so you see it uses more then you think :) combined with sometimes poor powersupplys which will cave in voltage if you use full power then you see what i mean.
    The PI alone uses around 1 Amps when its full running.
    Also the leds don't like any voltage below 5 volts, this can happen when current is [too] high on powersupply ( which is not strong enough) and thus voltage will drop..

decide what you do with this, hope it helps. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!