LED's not powering on, Everything looks right.

• i think after reading everything, you are to much into fixxing mode when its not necessary to be. If you install Hyperion.NG the correct way ( asuming that you did) it should run by itself. Why are you using a "old" type of PI and not like a RPI3 or even 4, that would be my first question. SPI device is only 2 GPIO pins on raspberry, they contain data and reset functions, output of those pins have to be approximately 3.3 volts. You can connect the ledstrip directly to the GPIO pins, mostly it will work without a levelshifter ( that will boost datasignal to the strip) Make sure you grounded everything RPI/ledstrip/PSU. You can if you connected the ledstrip IN A GOOD MANNER you can test it with a testscript from adafruit, there you put in ledcount and the script can be run into commandline or putty.

• just make a clean install of Hyperion.NG >> don't make any changes into the software and test your ledstrip with testscript from adafruit. If the script runs and ledstrip fails you have a hardwareproblem and its NOT the software. The one i have is Buster full OS with the first HYperion.NG version 1 béta and works perfect on WS2801. I've build a second system for my friend last weekend with RPI3b Hyperion.NG 2.08 and 300 APAleds, worked in one time. Really the problem is you probably, not the software.

• i think after reading everything, you are to much into fixxing mode when its not necessary to be. If you install Hyperion.NG the correct way ( asuming that you did) it should run by itself.

See, that's the problem I have been having. I flash the SD card, run update, then upgrade, install hyperion and it fails to load. After redoing it all but with installing cec-utils after there were a ton of errors popping up with the pi and settings not set. Setting them Hyperion started, but no lights.

Why are you using a "old" type of PI and not like a RPI3 or even 4, that would be my first question.

Because it was cheap and it should work with it, and as I'm trying to make it all take as little place on the back of the TV's I figured out it would be good enough to use it. Why would I want to use a more powerful board when the ZeroW should be good enough? Are there some other functions that should be ther?

SPI device is only 2 GPIO pins on raspberry, they contain data and reset functions, output of those pins have to be approximately 3.3 volts.

Using a multimeter I get 4.96V on both 5V pins (pin2 & pin4) and 3.2V on the 3V pin (pin1). GPIO 18 (pin12) gives me 0.0025V.

You can connect the ledstrip directly to the GPIO pins, mostly it will work without a levelshifter ( that will boost datasignal to the strip) Make sure you grounded everything RPI/ledstrip/PSU.

I've been thinking about the need for a levelshifter, but so far I've skipped it. Now that you are telling me GPIO18 (pin12) is supposed to give 3.3 volts... Why am I getting such low Voltage? This might solve my problem O_O

You can if you connected the ledstrip IN A GOOD MANNER you can test it with a testscript from adafruit, there you put in ledcount and the script can be run into commandline or putty.

That I have. Almost everything is soldered. And the few connections that are not are still well connected. No problems there.

• And Thank you. Such a simple thing made it go form software to hardware.

you know that the pin-out for a PI1/zero is really diffrent than what i have on RPI3. I used schematics from internet on PI forum and Hyperion to locate the pin-out. I don't know which GPIO it should be on a ZERO or PI1, you can find that really easy. but it seems that or; pinout is wrong/datasignals is mixed or; SPI device is NOT running or selected

• Because it was cheap and it should work with it, and as I'm trying to make it all take as little place on the back of the TV's I figured out it would be good enough to use it. Why would I want to use a more powerful board when the ZeroW should be good enough? Are there some other functions that should be ther?

RPI3 is much more powerfull than the first type, you can look that up yourself,

• you know that the pin-out for a PI1/zero is really diffrent than what i have on RPI3. I used schematics from internet on PI forum and Hyperion to locate the pin-out. I don't know which GPIO it should be on a ZERO or PI1, you can find that really easy. but it seems that or; pinout is wrong/datasignals is mixed or; SPI device is NOT running or selected

Googling shows me that RPi3, 4 and Zero/ZeroW all have the same 40pin layout. So it should be the same pins.

RPI3 is much more powerfull than the first type, you can look that up yourself, especially with so much led's i would go for a device that has already build in HDMI functions so setup is easy. It only costs 45 euro/dollar so you spend that already anyway

Yeah I get that, but as I was going to make this run I wasn't thinking of adding a bigger more expensive Pi to the mix.
    Having said that, the ZeroW came out in 2017, so it's not that old.
    Also, I'm not powering the 190 LED's off just the Pi. as far as I can figure out that would blow the tiny sucker when it's pulling close to 10Amps. But no worries, I am in hardware fix mode again to see if I can't figure out of this problem.
    Unless anyone has bumped into this problem with GPIO18 barely providing 0.0025V instead of 3.3V, I might look into buying another, newer Pi.

some pinouts charts are really deceitful, they will count into normal numbers ( numbering on pcb) OR GPIO pinout numbers

Oh... All I've been told was that the 40pins are supposed to be the same 40 pins for most devices. I'll do some digging.

• As for to clean stuff up a little, this is what my setup looks like.

Only main difference is the Pi is a ZeroW.

When googling I am told that I can not read the 3.3V from GPIO18 with a normal multimeter, but that I would need a Oscilloscope to be able to see it. I don't own that, but I agree that there might be a hardware issue.

• I've been thinking about the need for a levelshifter, but so far I've skipped it. Now that you are telling me GPIO18 (pin12) is supposed to give 3.3 volts... Why am I getting such low Voltage? This might solve my problem O_O

SPI device is on diffrent GPIO's , you can see that on schematics. You are measuring on a input/output of the PI!! thats doesnt work, its not a SPI device/controller output'

i think you need PIN 19/21/23 to make it work > combination of 19/23 or 21/23 > thats GPIO 9/10 and 11

thats between a dataline and CLK line if you have 4 trails on the strip.

• SPI device is on diffrent GPIO's , you can see that on schematics. You are measuring on a input/output of the PI!! thats doesnt work, its not a SPI device/controller output'
    i think you need PIN 19/21/23 to make it work > combination of 19/23 or 21/23 > thats GPIO 9/10 and 11
    thats between a dataline and CLK line if you have 4 trails on the strip.

Yeah I was going to ask, that would be if you are running a 4 pin LED strip.
    All I have is a 3 pin one.

• yes i see that, i have only 4 pins. Nevertheless SPI device 0 is there on schematics MOSI or MISO

Ah okay. I'll make a cable from those two to one, maybe that'll help.
    I worked with combining the two data lines on my WS2815 144/m strip for the offbrand controller, so I'm guessing that it would work the same in reverse (miso+mosi to 3pin led). I'll see what happenes.

• scratch all that, i am wrong > if i see schematics of the PI forum https://tutorials-raspberrypi.…pi-ws2812-rgb-led-strips/
    then it seems GPIO 18 is correct so i don't know anymore, i only have experience with the 4 lines strips so sorry to steer you the wrong way.

i really was under the assumption that SPI 0 was correct to use but it seems it isn't, it's PWM controller?

https://hyperion-project.org/t…6812-to-work-somehow.895/

• it seems you can control the ledstrips with different controllers, PWM and SPI. I've read that PWM uses a lot of CPU power and SPI therefor is much better to use, PWM is a sinus signal with high and low frequencies and is used for common connections to the PI such as temperaturemeters. If i read a lot about this i didn't see much people that succesful used this PWM controller on the PI. SPI was possible somebody on the forum said > see this thread, maybe it helps https://hyperion-project.org/t…-on-gpio18-possible.3426/

• Yo TPmodding! I have now followed your video and copied everything you said, but guess what? It did not work. It keeps spitting out an error about "no such file or directory". But following your video it should have worked, right?

Code
    2020-11-03T17:41:55.918 hyperiond LEDDEVICE    : <ERROR> Device disabled, device 'sk6812spi' signals error: 'Failed to open device (/dev/spidev0.0). Error message: No such file or directory'

The furthest I've gotten is the first LED to light up GREEN, but I think that was an accident as it also happened sometimes when I plugged the SP501 LED controller to the LEDs.
    Also, I seem to have hit a slight problem where the baudrate seems to be off. You even commented on it in a different thread:

why is your rate 3000000?
    you sure your spi is working?
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/do…README.md#troubleshooting

So I have doubled down in trying to figure it out but I can't find any logics to some of the things you say vs. some of the things you do.
    So please... I have done exactly like you got angry at me for not doing in the first place. All I am after is some understanding, maybe even a slight explanation.
    Are WS28xxSPI and SK6812SPI supposed to use the same library?
    And if so, why is their baudrate in Hyperion set to something beyond what it's specifics that Adafruit states?
    Is the settings in Hyperion not relevant to these two sets of LEDs?
    I have tried using both GPIO18(pin12, spi1 ce0) and GPIO9+10(pin19+21, spi0 MISO/MOSI) but not gotten any difference in the LEDs.
    Also, why is it stated in Hyperion that spidev0.0 and spidev0.1 are options, but I'm being told that there is only one SPI line, when the pi tells me there are two?
    And which is which? Is "spidev0.0" SPI0 or SPI1?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!