Running ws2812B with dead GPIO18

• Lol,

no problem man, happy trails. I was only wondering about your config.text settings about the SPI.
    but never mind, there's a lot that can go wrong and not everybody is honest is his craft on a forum.

thats why i asked to see if you are not forgetting/skipping steps.
    for me its not logical to comment/uncomment the same hardware setting in config.text
    but maybe you are the expert and i don't know what i am rambling

;)

• not at all Jeroen, it was in no way meant like that bud

from me also, i just meant it like maybe there's a thing you know and i don't get it at that point haha.

i have a lot of settings there that is in fact making a lot of diffrence in the behaviour of the PI.

but back to the story; we think ( and he believe/knows) that the hardware is broken and fried it.
    so why not order a PI and test again before we go into service mode and trying something to fix that isn't fixable.

• Its all good ;)

Sweet, excellent lil bits of kit aint they

yeah, least it wasn't powered by the gpio or he wouldn't of had the fuse protection, at least he had the patience to wait 2 days, id of binned it after 20 mins of not switching on :LOL:

• tl;dr Use correct supply voltage or level shifters for your LEDs.

@jeroen warmerdam I don't remember ever having altered boot config and there's no mention of it in the guide I'm following: https://docs.hyperion-project.org/en/user/Installation.html. Please let me know if there's a better guide that mentions this file.

Regardless, I altered it as you recommended and the lights were still dark. Hyperion logs do not complain about anything so I assume this file is not important or not affecting functionality?

@davieboy Thanks, I realized I had to break out the big guns and I went to a friend's who had an oscilloscope.

The GPIO pins were outputting the appropriate signal.

We then removed the power supply and connected a variable one. We started it at 5V and then as we lowered the supply voltage, the lights came on!

I'm not sure what changed as I swear I've been using all the same hardware (that's what they all say). Maybe I was using another power supply that provided slightly lower voltage?

The point of the story is that the diff of signal vs supply voltage was out of spec for the LEDs.

For 2812b:

The Vih is 0.7*Vdd and Vdd is +3.5~+5.3.

So with 5V supply voltage the pi needed to output 3.5V but it's 3.3.

I'm buying a level shifter now and this problem is SOLVED.

• I am sorry to bring this old topic up, but can someone please explain how he went about fixing this issue with a level shifter?

I believe I am facing the same issue, as I have already tried two PSUs and two sets of LEDs with continual brick walls in my way.

Can't get the lights to light at all.

• The use of a level shifter is not a given, mine worked without but I was getting some interference on SPI so added the shifter (I later found out it wasn't needed and the interefence was elsewhere). You asked how the OP fixed with a level shifter so I suggested how I used one on GPIO18 ;o)

• The use of a level shifter is not a given, mine worked without but I was getting some interference on SPI so added the shifter (I later found out it wasn't needed and the interefence was elsewhere). You asked how the OP fixed with a level shifter so I suggested how I used one on GPIO18 ;o)

The use of a level shifter, normally called logic level shifter is BI directional.

It can shift Datalines from 5 volts to 3,5 volts and vise versa.

some ledstrips needs to have the Data input on DI to be 3,5 volts ( at least!) from the GPIO.

its a diffrence that every ledstrip has, some don't need the level shifter and some do to run it...

My experience is with WS2801 and APA102 that they run WITHOUT level shifter, directly connected them on GPIO and they run.

Sometimes also the problem is the typenumber of GPIO, if u use PWM (18) then it can be much more difficult to get it to run then using (10) SPI.

then it has to do with audioservices that are being used by the Raspi and thus Hyperion.NG don't have acces to them.

PWM library ledcontroller can only function when Hyperion.NG runs as root and has full control over the audio service.

Also the type of ledstrip can be the issue: you have 3 and 4 lines ledstrips. > some even with 4 lines but 1 line is BI ( backup)

the 3 lines is normally connected to GPIO18 but you can also run it on SPI most of the time >> see if ledcontroller supports your strip!

the 4 lines is normally connected to GPIO10 and GPIO 11 ( you have more variations you can try ofcourse)

the 4 lines with backupline is actually a 3 line with mostly BI connected to GND. >> see WS2813 WS2815 ledstrips

goodluck!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!