power supply question

• That well work. Can power from each corner as well.,1 supply covers 2 corners.

Made this a few yeas ago. It's still lighting up my TV :)

• I have 210 leds to power and it is recommended that I use a 5v 13.5amp power supply.
    I have a 5v 10amp supply so could I buy another 5v 10amp power supply and power it from both ends

short answer NO

you can't merge two diffrent +5 volts together ( or any DC) on the same ledstrip in one piece
    only GND (-) you can merge together of two diffrent PSU to stabilize!

Akriss powered his ledstrip SEPARATELY on each corner and only connected D0 and Ci to the second strip. So you can do it like that and then stabilize the GND (-) or power everything with only one PSU when its powerfull enough for your setup.

you can see that in the flowchart.
    goodluck.

ps; P=UxI formula to use to calculate is Watts = Volts x Amps
    with this you can easy calculate how much power is needed and how much amps the setup is drawing from PSU

• So why has my setup worked with 2 10amp supply's, for over 3 years?

Power supply's are hooked up in parallel and power each corner of the tv's led strip (APA102)
    MY setup, still working great!
    https://hyperion-project.org/threads/upgraded-thanks.820/

read my comment well >> TS (topicstarter) is talking about power the ledstrip on both sides while the ledstrip is in one piece.

you did cut in half and powered those 2 half with 2 SEPARATE PSU, thats okay ofcourse when stabilized.

btw you can only hook it up" parallel on GND but not on + 5volts

• Yes, I had forgotten that I had the 2 halves positive line separated and the grounds connected. effectively each supply powers it's own half..

Forgive me, It's been 3 years since making it, Details start fading after a wile.

• Yes, I had forgotten that I had the 2 halves positive line separated and the grounds connected. effectively each supply powers it's own half..

Forgive me, It's been 3 years since making it, Details start fading after a wile.

no problem :)

i only want to prevent TS is frying PSU and his ledstrip how he wanted to connect the stuff.... ahaha

• Thanks guys
    Why are 5v 20amp power supplies so hard to come by.
    I am thinking of maybe using a computer psu as I believe these have a 5v supply
    I am using SK6812 RGBW for ambi lights and a pi3 I wanted to use the easy premade corners hence a single power supply
    My soldering is something to be desired hence the easy route with the corners
    I have it setup at the moment with only 30 leds per metre WS2812Bs but the white is more blue than white and have read that the SK6812 RGBWs are a better choice needing only the one data wire to the pi
    Thanks again for the advice

• @ Neeb thanks that was the type i was talking about, electronic PSU with a potmeter to adjust voltage.

• Output Voltage: 5V
    • Approx. Wattage: 100W
    • Protections: Short circuit / Overload / Over voltage / Over temperature
    • Warranty: 3 Years Warranty

so; 100 : 5 = 20 amps ;)

• When you search a good PSU, always look for MeanWell brand.
    That's a top quality brand, very stable and reliable, very common in industry and electronic areas.
    They have a lot of different models with various form factor, amperage and voltage.

• I have 210 leds to power and it is recommended that I use a 5v 13.5amp power supply.
    I have a 5v 10amp supply so could I buy another 5v 10amp power supply and power it from both ends

guy,

i made a calculation for you>> with 210 leds in total

consuming 0,048 Amps is total of 10.08 amps in total. (on full brightness)

Pi is using something like 1 amps max with use of USB.
    so you're good and safe with a PSU of 15 Amps or 75 Watts on 5 volts.

20 Amps or 100 Watts is little overkill, but you are the boss :)

• 1 Led is 0.06A when displaying white color.
    Where did you get that 0.024A from ?

• I really appreciate your time on this guys.
    I have a couple of choices I feel as with a pc PSU I would need to bridge the 24 pin connector to get power to the 5v supply
    Not sure if this applies to power supply,s that have an on/off switch
    I found this
    but I am not a great fan of having AC cables not having any form of support ie a clamp holding the cable in place
    The other choice is to buy a couple of items but not sure if this would work

I do not fully understand the wording on the 12v power supply as it says 125w and then says its only 10amp?

• I found this

That is a cheap power supply, if you want to use such PSU, look for a MeanWell like I stated earlier.

I do not fully understand the wording on the 12v power supply as it says 125w and then says its only 10amp?

Why on earth would you want to go the 220v->12v->5v route...more risks to have a non stable voltage.
    Also, like @jeroen warmerdam said, P=U*I, so 125W(approx.) = 12V * 10A so that is correct.

Really, PC PSU or MeanWell is the good choice.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!