New 1080p grabber possibly causing delay

• I've purchased https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FFHFXV3

Before I had an HDMI2AV converter (Composite I think, the one with the yellow) to a SD grabber.

Before switching to the 1080p hdmi grabber I feel like my lights were a lot more responsive.

I'm using WS2801 SPI on a RaspberryPi 3b. Could it be that it's talking longer to process a higher quality image? My decimation is set to 8 and was 4 before. Would upgrading to a Pi4 help this situation?

• So I've changed some setting and it's definitely better. I've increased my decimation to 18, already had smoothing disable, and have set the capture resolution to 720x480. The image in hyperion is super grain and I'm getting some led flashing because of it, but it's way more responsive. Also dark scenes now have green LEDs, which was resolved with the new card, but has returned with these setting. Assuming it's because of the high decimation.

• Before I had an HDMI2AV converter (Composite I think, the one with the yellow) to a SD grabber.

Why did you switch :whistle:

Just go back to that, most HDMI/USB grabbed images is 720p with delay and high decimation, reason of that is that videocore is small and not powerful, and usb ports can only deliver 500ma maximum after this happens the PI is getting slow...

You never get a smooth clear picture that is the same quality then out of a self powered HDMI to RCA converter to composite USB grabber.

Decimation to 18 is pale colours in hyperion..

• I was having issues with some colored lines pulsing across my screen. There was also the dreaded rainbow no signal issue. I was just hoping to remove another item from the system to take out points of failure. I've been messing with some settings. Even overclocked my pi, bad idea, very unstable. What really helped was manually dropping the resolution to 720x480 and forcing 60 fps. I have the decimation at 8 now and it seems to be responsive. I'm still going to mess with stuff until I can get a pi4 and see if that helps.

• There was also the dreaded rainbow no signal issue

Yes i know about that, it happens when in this case your HDMI2AV converter doesn't see videoactivity on HDMI channel. Then you see this rainbow, its not coming out of your grab device. The rainbow is only showing when something happens in video transmitting like defect or not working correct ( cheap) Amazon or Aliexpress splitters. Believe me i had some setups/Hyperion.NG type and splitters tested.

your other question; i am saying that you will come to a result with HDMI/USB grabbers but it will probably not be to your whole liking as before. Thats why i decided to do it the "analog" way and use 2 devices for rendering on the PI. My mate has also a setup with APA102 lights but he uses ( i experimented with that too) a HDMI grabber, his colours are pale in comparison to mine and what he tries and tries he doesn't come to the same endresult.

so i am saying that if you want some high quality image, dont go for a cheap(er) sollution (HDMI grabber for 15$ or less...) but invest some more on your build

goodluck man.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!