No matter what I try, LEDs don't light up...ideas?

• maybe i break in in this conversation, but did you ( i dont see it mentioned) power your ledstrip FROM BOTH SIDES??

so beginning and end connected to GND and 5 volt line

No, Just one point of power. All 3 go in on one spot. Should I TRY to run from the start and the end ?

This all worked before like this, so it's why I am not trying rewire the LEDS.

I tried a 2nd PI no change. Here is the logs from booting up with the 2nd PI. No noticed differences between logs for mine or the one I borrowed.

I am going to remove the 2nd PI and put it away, I don't want to damage or anything else, it's from my office.

Checked everything, enabled USB capture, confirmed in preview window that live TV was playing and the led layout look as it should.

• @TheCoolDave a picture speaks 1000 words :thumbup:

https://hyperion-project.org/t…p-ideas.11332/#post-33997

We could all spend days beating about the bush as you have already been at it for weeks, but everyone's hardware and setup is different and without actually seeing the hardware or config/logs you are just throwing mud at the wall and hoping one sticks - never a bad thing but you have to draw the line at somepoint

• @TheCoolDave a picture speaks 1000 words :thumbup:

https://hyperion-project.org/t…p-ideas.11332/#post-33997

We could all spend days beating about the bush as you have already been at it for weeks, but everyone's hardware and setup is different and without actually seeing the hardware or config/logs you are just throwing mud at the wall and hoping one sticks - never a bad thing but you have to draw the line at somepoint

Here is images of my setup, I really didn't change anything anywhere else. I am setup on GPIO-18 tried a few others, noticed that 16 could not be used via the log.

Let me know if you need any other settings

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, I do not spot anything which might be of help from a software point of view (and I am not too familiar with this type of LED).
    You might have a latchtime > 0, e.g. 30ms or even higher. Maybe teh LEDs cannot cope with the number of updates.

In addition, if the LED-Device on in the Remote Control?

Plus does it work to run a simple color effect?

• On the Latch time, I adjusted from 0 to 30ms, no change.

Only time LEDs have lit up from doing this way, is when I shut power off on the device, red goes around to a bunch of LEDs. Nothing more. Running a simple color effect does nothing.

I double checked voltage on the LEDs, getting 5v across the LEDs fine. Checked at the start and it was around 4.8v at the end of LEDs. I ran a jumper with clip directly from GPIO-18 to data pin on the LEDs and rebooted (just to make sure all wires are connected with no issues), no change, no LEDs are lighting up.

I did order new LEDs from Amazon with all connectors and that, I will test tomorrow when they come in. Not on the TV but, out of the package, if they light up, my LEDs are fried for some reason.. I am running out of options to try here. Not really sure where to go next on this...

The LED device is on

• Its looking that way man, I'm out of ideas and swaying back towards hardware :(

I know. What the heck? Tried Different PI, reinstall the OS about 5-6 times. Settings should be correct, video image and LED placement look perfect, Voltage is there, Tested different cables to the LEDs data, power, nothing. This all worked perfectly before what could of happened ?????

This is what I used to setup the orignal system..

(2) NEW! DIY Ambilight Tutorial, For ANY HDMI Device! - EASY!! The Mad Scientist - YouTube

So, it's not the PI, It's not the cables (as I replaced all and even tried different ways to run the cable), it does not appear to the software.

Only other thing to try is LEDs... $43 later, it will be here tomorrow. Not putting on the TV, will be bench testing before doing anything.

At least one thing, I had the white LED strip, the back of my TV is black, so I ordered black ones... If anything...sigh..

To think, this is a video I took of my system 2 weeks before I attempted the "upgrade"( a few people we asking about what it looks like)... Not sure what could of happened here..

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmHdwDuUvhmjg_U6o49yzySrwcmLxw?e=1zVggG

Thanks for everyone help, a lot of good ideas here, maybe it will help others

I guess I am done till new LEDs show up :(

• sometimes hardware just doesn't want to do it, the GPIO you are using is for PWM that is really diffrent than SPI.
    i have a tool for testing your SPI 0 device on GPIO MOSI to MISO but you can't use that for PWM GPIO thus its only one PIN going data OUT.

so indeed it looks like all systems is running/ rightfull connected but still no lights.
    then i suspect the ledstrip, they are very sensitive / sometimes bad builds or cheap knock offs are the cause of no firing at all.
    most people want to have the cheapiest lights possible because they are invested in this setup so much... thats why things go wrong sometimes and they purchase a bad or lesser strip to even out the costs. The vendors are not all selling the same, buy from BTF and you know that you have a good realible quality strip.
    A strip for 15 euro, strand of 200 lights cannot be a high quality, its that simple.

i also don't understand why everybody is going for the ws2812b ledstrip ( 3 lines) when a 4 line type like ws2801 or APA102 is much more fluently and capable of calculating the colours much better. Maybe its a personal preference who knows, or its in the Youtube video's....

goodluck with your new ledstrip ;)

• Thanks for the info. I came on to this project via YouTube, one of those things I have always wanted from seeing a actual Philips Ambilight TV in person, many years ago.

Every video out there, that I have seen, suggests to use ws2812b LEDs, I've never saw anyone use anything else. Trust me, I looked over a lot of videos to find out EXACTLY what I needed to do here and what is the best hardware. Also looked to find possible issues as well, reading though many comments on it.. I like to do a lot of homework on new projects that I don't know a lot about.

If I saw your post yesterday, I would of looked at other LEDs. It's too late now that they have already shipped. :(

Thanks again for info, you learn something new every day ! If I end up doing this again, or this does not work, I will look at ws2801 or APA102 LEDs...

• Yeah its weird @TheCoolDave

@jeroen warmerdam I think its a mix of older youtube videos going with hardware at the time or best value idk, I done the same thing tho, don't regret it any way, I spent not a lot of money and got something cool out of it which is the whole point i suppose, the more i use it the more i notice small things that make me want to go for a 4 wire strip next time but the WS2812 was performed well, plenty of light and plenty of colour.

• OK, today the LEDs came in, This time I did things a little better, experience here is the key. I won't be soldering directly the strips (if I can completely avoid it), I am going to use the built in clips and solder the wire together with heat shrink it. I am going to use the corner pieces but, I will do a little solder in there, and heat shrink every end. It will be easier due to having my LED count already there.

Well after soldering a lot cable, so I could give myself room to work and be long enough for the back of the TV, I plugged in the LEDs and booted everything up. The LEDs lit up ! Not sure exactly what caused the current LEDs go bad. They were all working before, sigh...

I need to go out and get some double sided tape and some other things before mounting but, looks good so far. Maybe later this week.

I do see one annoyance, when there is no signal, there is a rainbow color that shows, like this...

How to you keep the LEDs off when this is up ?

• How to you keep the LEDs off when this is up ?

kudo's on the strip! :omg:

signal detection is used to get rid of unwanted live feed of rainbow.
    I don't have the settings myself but you have to look at Vmin Vmax and Hmin Hmax settings in USB grabber menu

Vmin 0,9
    Vmax 0,98

Hmin 0,9
    Hmax 0,98

i've seen that people use this setting, browse around in the forum for more info/settings

• OK, installed the LEDs on Saturday. The problem that I am seeing now is the LEDs a very, very LAGGY. I did go into video capture settings and changed the resolution to 320 X 240 60fps as people said to do, in the preview window, it's just a blurry blob of color. This helped a lot but, still laggy there.

A lot of the time it will look like timing is fine but, all of a sudden it stops(no color) and then catches up. Should I add a Arduino instead of running to the GPIO port ? Will this solve the lag issue here ?

I saw this thread and looks like this could fix this..
    Ardruino or GPIO | Hyperion - Forum (hyperion-project.org)

Also, does anyone know of a budget friendly capture device that will do 4K 60 AND HDR (4K video is fine but, as soon as I play HDR content, the LEDs go off) ?

• I had a similar issue to this and it turned out that the error was caused by the hyperion service running as pi instead of root. I have to use GPIO pin 18/PWM to control the strip and that can only be done by root.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!