LED Power Consumption

• Yes curiosity is getting the better of me here for 2 reasons,
    1 - Did i buy a crap set of LEDS?
    2 - Are the LEDS way more efficient than people are led to believe?

Do you have a multimeter capable of measuring Amps that does not have a blown fuse due to misuse :LOL:

Could you measure the current draw on your LED's just to get a rough idea of what others are pulling from the PSU dependant on the type of LED.

I have 174x WS2812IC - Hyperion recommends Max. power consumption: 11.5 A, other calculations are between the 8-9A mark

However, the most current i could draw was 2.05A when Solid Red was set to full brightness on all LED's, White was slightly lower at 2.024A, even after 10 mins it remained the same.

Results:

• 174x WS2812IC LED (LED type)

• Pure Red (Colour that gives the largest value)

• 2.05A (Total Current Draw)

Maybe the initial spike of the peak of powering the strip could be closer to the 8-9A but I just cant see it.

If anyone want to contribute id appreciate some feedback on your strip and what its actually using, really easy, simple and highly satisfying test to do, If enough people take part im quite sure @TPmodding would like to make a table out of the data collected :whistle::LOL:

Requirements:
    A Good Quality PSU, Rated above Hyperion's Maximum power consumption in Amps + any other attached loads it supplies - Always better to have too much current than not enough. (If PSU is too weak you will only detect what the PSU is putting out and this test will be pointless)

A working Multimeter, Manual or Auto Ranging, any will do.

Notes:
    LOOK AT THE FRONT OF YOUR METER - Near the Amp Lead connector it should indicate if the meter is fused or unfused - If unfused be weary that if you exceed the 10A mark you could possibly damage the meter or leads - If fused and you try to exceed the 10A the fuse will blow.

If your setup is pulling more than 10A you may need an suitably rated Amps clamp to complete the test or if you wish to know exactly what it is using, you may be able to use a unfused meter and quickly crank it up to max then see the value and dim it down quickly to avoid any damage but that call is yours to make.
    When the multimeter leads are in the Amp position DO NOT try and measure a voltage the way you normally would to see if the meter is working - you will blow the fuse instantly.

• Offizieller Beitrag

you should specify more details.... e.g.: test it with 1 led, and then test it with 10 leds...and 100leds.... or something like that...

and for all the noobs: a schematic HOW to measure current would also be good... it is not the same as voltage :)

• meh, I will explain it a bit more then :LOL:

Ill knockup a quick diagram later, you looked too far into it tho man, It really is as simple as disconnecting the power supply at the easiest point and bridging it with the meter, doesn't matter if the leads are round the wrong way except you ignore the minus sign :LOL:

• good topic!

remember that type of led's make a huge diffrence in total draw of Amps.
    i think you have good and bad quality ledstrips, they promise good light quality but in reality they don't deliver. .
    also you have diffrent type of SMD 5050 in ledstrips, some are cheap and some are much better.
    thats also the reason that the price will differ for >>> APA102 and SK9822 is they lower fabrication costs of electronics.
    see here why some ledstrips pull much more amps than others!
    https://cpldcpu.wordpress.com/…s%20in%20a%20lower%20cost.

colour and quality of colour has a lot to do with bitstream over datalines, also a good clean powerfull PSU is life important.

with simple calculation that every 5050 SMD led uses up in full brightness ( all colours/rainbow) like 0.049 Amps
    or 50 milliamps each led.
    thats only with good/expensive and durable ledstrip types

• I bought led strip WS2812b with 60Leds/m and 18W/m . Total led from my setup is 266

Conected with hyperion i measured in RED 2.8A and the same is in "white". if i i step down the Baudrate work only as white in full power with consuption up to 7A

i think hyperion with spi settings create a pulse signal and the leds is not always on but the eye not able to see the flickering.

thats for never ledstrip reaches the max consuption.

is there anyway to push the ledstrip to higher brightnees.

i come back with photos.

edit 1

i test my ledstrip with Wemos d1 mini and WLED binary and i put upper limit 9 Amperes and ledstrip work flawless.

thats for my opinion is the hyperion keep the current low.

is anyone who knows how to get more brightness ?

Thank you

Edit 2

My setup is hyperionNG on Rpi zero W and ledstrip conected in Wemos D1 mini with Wled project and i set max power 7A(in white)

In hyperion LED config i set udpraw in Wemos IP and port

Next i set RED color and with Hyperion work on 2.8A and if i set Red direct in Wled webGUI current is 5.2(checked with ammeter)

Edit 3

there is no problem i set full brightness and now Hyperion drive the Wled in full power. awesome

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!