Issues with APA102 LEDs do not light up with RPi3+

• No i just switch power off completely from the PI3b, next time I want to use Hyperion.ng switch ON again. A mate has it also like this, clean NOT formatted SD card with Hyperion.ng 2.09 Alpha..

Never used that code before.
    This one is better.

Code: sudo shutdown -h now

Maybe it's a plan to experiment with that code e.g on a GPIO that switches a relais then PI is off.

thank you for the tip, indeed is bluntly power off the PI not a good idea,
    however, i made a work around and found a really easy script>> https://howchoo.com/g/mwnlytk3…tton-to-your-raspberry-pi

now i connected my remote relais to this GPIO and GND and the PI goes in a "sleep/shutoff state" after that its safe to turn it off with the power switch>> thank you for the tip!

• hey Jeroen sorry to bother you again but I lost my screen capture - on the Web UI its grey now & picks up nothing
    I even lost it in my USB list below
    I have attached the Debug in case you can suggest something as Im so heartbroken again
    I can change all colors manually using my Hyperion iPhone app but no TV Capture

pi@HyperBian:~ $ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0424:7800 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I'm using the same config.txt that I previously uploaded here
    I have used your instruction

max_usb_current=1
    for more CPU power alter lines there to this:
    arm_freq=900
    force_turbo=1

Thanks for you help in advance

• Sounds more like hardware rather than software, Hyperion appears to be doing its job as you mention it doesn't list on lsusb so Hyperion cannot show it if its not there, have you tried dropping the resolution down to see if that helps any with how often it crashes?

what do you mean by crashing, just the capture card going awol or the full system crashes and needs the plug pulled?

• hey davieboy thx for your response - when it crashes I'm usually logged in via ssh & then when I do lsusb then I get nothing so I have to power down & restart the RPi then it will work for a while & then the lights stop again
    I took out force_turbo=1 from the config.txt but didnt make a difference

where do I drop the resolution down from?

• Sounds more like hardware rather than software, Hyperion appears to be doing its job as you mention it doesn't list on lsusb,

what do you mean by crashing, just the capture card going awol or the full system crashes and needs the plug pulled?
    try tailing /var/log/syslog and see if it gives you any clues to why it crashed when it crashes

After you reboot and it detects the device go to
    Hyperion Dash -> Configuration -> Capturing Hardware - USB Capture
    and manually define the device, decrease the resolution down and see what happens, prob for you is you have the HDMI splitter, scaler and grabber to troubleshoot.

Good Luck

• Digital video audio HDMI to AV CVBS Converter Support 4Kx2K L/R stereo NTSC PAL
    • Easycap USB 2.0 VHS VCR to Win PC DVD Video Audio Converter Grabber Capture Card
    • HDMI switch

what Davieboy says, this is due to hardware. Looks like ( a lot) that video signal is not even reaching the Raspi.
    lsusb normally lists all connected USB devices on hardware USB ports, if its not appearing there Hyperion is not be able to pick it up.

(1) Check your HDMI to AV CVBS Converter and capture card in a Windows machine and see if its works with > VLC player ( Videolan)

(2) or... remove the USB grabber from the Raspi and go to terminal and use code>>>

sudo dmesg -C

after this insert the USB grabber again and use code

dmesg

put output of kernel file here. something like this..........................

(example)
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo dmesg -C
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dmesg
    [ 143.853381] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 5 using dwc_otg
    [ 143.986699] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=534d, idProduct=2109, bcdDevice=21.00
    [ 143.986719] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    [ 143.986733] usb 1-1.3: Product: USB Video
    [ 143.986745] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: MACROSILICON
    [ 143.991007] hid-generic 0003:534D:2109.0002: hiddev96,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Device [MACROSILICON USB Video] on usb-3f980000.usb-1.3/input4
    [ 144.053908] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device USB Video (534d:2109)
    [ 144.056539] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
    [ 144.056558] USB Video Class driver (1.1.1)
    [ 144.097528] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

• thanks both I will check what you say but when I mentioned lsusb doesn't return anything is that the RPi is already crashed & its normal - sorry to mislead you
    what happens is that everything works fine for a while & then RPi crashes & the reason it is the RPi & not the Hyperion is I can no longer ssh to RPi so I have to unplug & then plug it back in - sometimes it works immediately again & sometimes I have to restart it few times
    but eveytime after a while it crashes again
    previously you asked me to add the below lines to config.txt which I did but then I removed the Turbo but still didnt make a difference
    arm_freq=900
    force_turbo=1
    I have posted the debug in my previous post & wondered if you can see anything that makes the RPi crash

• what happens is that everything works fine for a while & then RPi crashes & the reason it is the RPi & not the Hyperion is I can no longer ssh to RPi so I have to unplug & then plug it back in - sometimes it works immediately again & sometimes I have to restart it few times
    but eveytime after a while it crashes again

It looks like the software ( written on SD card ) is somehow corrupted.
    Can u make a new installation on SD card and the really important, NOT format the card....

normally the SD card is formatted for Windows/Mediaplayer structures with Fat32 or just Fat or Exfat.

In Windows pc, insert the SD card and type >> disk management
    then go to the written partition section of your SD card and remove the whole volume until its greyed out and says; empty volume.

now you can write the SD card again with disk imaging program like Win32Diskimager

• @jeroen warmerdam I think you might be right & it must have got corrupted but I'm using a Mac

I usually format the SD using https://sd-formatter.en.uptodown.com/mac

then as davieboy said I use https://www.balena.io/etcher/ to copy the image from https://github.com/Hyperion-Project/HyperBian/releases
    then I go to
    sudo raspi-config

then expand the volume in the settings & update the RPi exit the GUI & then I run

sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get clean

how should I format it best with Mac? or what format should I choose?

• Hello dear fellow,

What did I say before about this, NOT format the card!! o_O:coffee::sickxx:

Formation on SD card is not needed when running on Raspbian/linux distro.

Why? Because Raspbian uses his own format that's been written the moment you write the image.

If you format it first ( before writing the image) then the two formats starts clashing with each other

• ok sure I wont format but it was already formatted previously, as log as it doesnt matter its fine by me.
    I will find a way to remove the whole volume in Mac but Im not sure how yet
    also after I manage to do that & copied over the image can I do the commands mentioned above? like updating the RPi

• haha yes no worries I was a PC man before - thx guys I have done what you have said & didnt format & used Windows PC to delete the partition & it seems working much better & smoother - it has crashed once but so far so good & been running for couple of hours - thx again for the tip

@jeroen warmerdam - I have got this far & have seen your youtube effect & it looks amazing but I dont get that level of accuraccy with my LEDs any chance you can share your config with me I need to know what settings best picks up the light - I used Blackbar detector 15% & have Smotthing=off - here is the link below of what I get maybe you can suggest some setting for it to be a bit more responsive..I just feel something is not quite right....

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• any chance you can share your config with me I need to know what settings best picks up the light

hello, yes shure i can do that but the setup of your leds begins with good calibration and such.
    every ledstrip is diffrent/reacts diffrent on the same controllers like SPI and PWM

• so invest time into your config but i can give you several pointers.
    • make sure your PSU is calibrated > must not exceed 5 volts
    • if possible power your ledstrip with +5volts and GND from both sides, it makes sure current can run free tho whole ledstrip
    • solder your GPIO pins, make sure connection is solid with lowest resistance

Hyperion localIP:8090 in WebUI.....

• Make a good template @ ledconfiguration/setup
    • increase the baudrate of SPI bus to at least 1500000 or higher, makes leds lit more fast/responsive
    • If smoothing is used 35 Hz, 120ms time and no delay, select continuous
    • blackbar detector, select default treshold 15%
    • RGB red/green/blue treshold 10% Gamma red/green/blue 2.4 Brightness compisation 41%
    • backlight treshold to 3% > makes sure leds not lit when there is dark images
    • cropping settings have to be right
    • you can test this settings first into Remote section

goodluck. :thumbup:

• tip: you can not use this Json file and import it into your Hyperion.NG > my version is diffrent/will not run and corrupt your installation.

what you can do: save this file and change the extension .json to .txt
    then you can open it with notepad and see all the settings

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!