Flickering on bright colors.... odd..

• Hey all !

In my last thread I, replaced the LEDs. I was using GPIO 18 but, found the delay too much and parts of the time, the lights would just stop working for like 2-3 seconds, and then "catch up". I rebuilt, added in the UNO as the controller and lag seems almost gone. The stop working problem is still there a little but, the flashing on bright images is just crazy.

A full screen of RED will make the whole room flashing because of this... White, yellow, does the same thing but, mixing darker colors seem fine, no flashing till a video with a very light background and flashing returns.

This was not happening when I was using GPIO-18 connection but, the LAG was unbearable.

Hardware for reference...

Connectors and wires...
    I used these for wires and the connectors to the end to avoid soldering wire to LEDs..
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used these for corners but, soldered them on so they would not slip off (common with these connectors)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hook up
    HDMI from Denon AVR 2nd(set to mirror tv) room out to HDMI grabber, that goes into the PI, USB out of the PI goes the UNO. The data connection is on PIN 6 on the UNO, The connections on the UNO are soldered in, this is ground and data.

The LEDS have power/ground going at the start and the end of the LEDs, so no low points in power in the LEDs. I did use the wire that came with the wire connectors, the start of the LEDs are connected with the factory connection.

Power for PI is run off the 30a power supply (but, also tried the original 2.5a power supply with no change). Ground from the 30a power supply is connected to the UNO and PI. Confirmed connection on ground from the UNO to the middle of the LEDs with no problem (voltmeter)

Hyperion settings are nothing too crazy, Adalight for type of controller, 255 LEDs, and GRB Order.

Capture settings are
    Device Resolution: 1280 X 720
    Frames per second: 60
    Size decimation: 8

Here are the logs. Anyone see anything that could be causing this flashing ? Common fix for this is for a common ground, I did that.

• congrats on the delay mate, Does tweaking the smoothing help any?

I tried a bunch of things, lowed the res, the little lag that is left it helped but, doing tests, a red screen leaves the whole room flashing, it's pretty bad.

which sketch did you use for the arduino?

I kind of loosely followed this video as he setup the same type of layout. I was reading that some changes needed to be there for 255+ LEDs... this was a updated script for it.

(4) DIY Hyperion Ambient TV Light Project (Raspberry Pi + Arduino) Complete Setup - YouTube

This is the exact code I used in my UNO...

As I am using 255 LEDs, no more, should go with a different code here ?

• try this one mate
    https://github.com/hyperion-pr…ino/adalight/adalight.ino

Its the official sketch and @Lord-Grey tweaked it the other day - bonus

change line 21 & 24
    comment out 34 and uncomment 35

leave the rest as it is and upload it to the mcu, make sure Hyperion baud is at 115200 in the dashboard, test it out, if all is good then increase the baud rate a stage at a time until your happy.

After i wrote this i noticed this, you originally posted you had WS2812B - 3 wire LEDS but your sketch is for 4 wire LEDS, I do remember you ordering another set but cant remember what you settled with, if you do have the 3 wire strip you only need to alter line 21 in the sketch, the rest should be fine and matches your setup.

• Thanks, I'll try that, To be honest with you, I only really knew about using WS2812B as that is all the YouTube videos go with. If I knew about APA102 before ordering them, I would of given them a shot...

I'll try this later today just because I am busy on a project this morning...

Thanks !

• OK, got a chance to play with this. Nope, didn't change anything. Well it's flickering a lot slower and really, really laggy now.

I assume the lower baud rate is the reason for this. I did try to chance it back to 500000 and its not laggy any more but, still flashing like crazy on bright images...

What could be doing this ? I cant see that it's a power issue, I did pick up a 30a power supply, even when I setup the LEDs, it's saying I should have 16.7a power suppy, so plenty left.

This was working perfect (besides very laggy) when using GPIO-18 and I did plenty of tests with bright images and bouncing things to see the lag...I never noticed flashing on it before I went to the UNO..

• your not having much luck @TheCoolDave , was hoping to hear you were sorted after using that sketch.

So white is still there with diff sketch so were left with signal to UNO or LED's again :LOL::mad:

ok if its not doing it when connected to the GPIO, it must be voltage related as Uno has an extra few v's over the GPIO, did you fit a resistor into it? Could it be something that simple?

• your not having much luck @TheCoolDave , was hoping to hear you were sorted after using that sketch.

So white is still there with diff sketch so were left with signal to UNO or LED's again :LOL::mad:

ok if its not doing it when connected to the GPIO, it must be voltage related as Uno has an extra few v's over the GPIO, did you fit a resistor into it? Could it be something that simple?

Yea, just not having any luck here... What a PIA LOL

No resistor in my setup... As for the UNO, it's plugged into the PI...Hmmmm... The PI has the Video capture and the UNO... maybe it is a power issue... Maybe ?

Power supply has plenty of Amps left...

It will start to flicker on brighter images but, a whole screen of RED, wow, the whole room is flashing !

This setup has been sitting behind my TV with wires all over the place for months, just trying to get it working solid (including 4K HDR movies, that is another thing I have deal with), then I was going mount it to the back of the TV and clean up wires...

Sigh that is not here yet !

• Ok, power cord searches to test to see if adding power to the UNO R3 helps with this flashing... Seeing that the UNO can use anything from a 7-12v as long as it's a center positive. Found a few that would fit. Nothing helped...

here is what I tried

1. DC 12v 0.3a
    2. DC 12v 1a
    3. DC 12v 1.5a (1.5a to 3.25a)

Not of these had any change at all. I'm thinking about trashing the UNO but, is there a sure way to get rid of all lag ?

Or does anyone have an idea, or have seen this before ?

Here is 2 videos I took so you can get an idea on what is going on here(I'll take them down in a few days)...

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmHdwDuUvhmjg_VBvvvu1ZQ5l2f5Qg?e=DgXOMy

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmHdwDuUvhmjg_VCIoppG2nZ6lfUKg?e=OZYQ4n

If you watch carefully you will see at some points the lights just stop working for a second or 2, This happens when watching videos as well. On a full RED screen, the flashing is crazy, and in playing back video, on lighter backgrounds flickering happens..

Don't mind the mess of wires, this will be cleaned up soon once this project is final !

I don't want to drop the resolution to 320 X 240, I want to run it at least at 720p so I can get at least SOME detail...

Any idea ??

• well on my ws2812b setup Red is my biggest consumer of power if thats any help, but yeah that is strange what it is doing in the vids.

few things tho, if you decrease the overall brightness down does the flicker still happen on the red screen.

Have you tried a fresh flash on another SD card?

• well on my ws2812b setup Red is my biggest consumer of power if thats any help, but yeah that is strange what it is doing in the vids.

few things tho, if you decrease the overall brightness down does the flicker still happen on the red screen.

Have you tried a fresh flash on another SD card?

Thanks for the idea..

OK, Played with brightness for a bit, jumped to 60%, 80%, 90%, 91%, 93%, 95% and 99%....

Dropped to 90% after all, the flashing has appeared to go away and it still is plenty bright (YEA !!!) over 95% it comes back

The question remands here, I had a 5v 10a power supply running all these, never a problem with it, I NOW have a 5v 30a power supply, should I be dealing with power issues on the LEDs ? As ground and 5v go directly to the LEDs from the 30a supply....I got a larger supply so I didn't need to deal with issues like this.

I still get points where the LEDs just shut off, and when the screen changes (like another view) they come back on.

If you watch the videos I posted again, you can see it on the bottom left of the video where it's clearest. Light will be going around and it gets to that corner and all the lights go off, this could happen for split second, or I have seen it as long as 2 seconds... Light should be going and nothing.

Lowering brightness did no change here. Any idea on that one ? Should/could a screen/LED refresh rate be boosted up a little here so it might not do this ?

The SD card is brand new SanDisk (100mb/s rated) 16gb card. I ordered it just for this project as I could not leave a 64gb or 128gb one for just this project as the PI will only be used for this. During testing this was rebuilt a few times. I did try it on the other card (64gb as well, no change)

• it does sound power related, I ran mine from an old 2.5A phone charger and they worked fine - Turns out they do not draw anything higher than 2.1A

Try this dave - get meter out, set to DC volts and specify the range to 00.00v - Check the output at the PSU - What is it?

Next 1 - Keep same settings as above, put 1 meter lead at the start of the signal wire going to the lights (connector or strip a cable slightly) set the LEDS to full red, now the 2nd meter lead, check the various data line points or end of corner connectors - Your expecting to see as close to Zero as you can, you may see some slight voltage of up to maybe 0.5v but hopefully everything is very low - as on that test any voltage you see on the meter is choosing to go through the meter rather than your circuit (easiest route).

You can do the same with power and earth connections, just go from positive or negative on the PSU to each positive or negative point around the LED strip - again the lower the voltage the better.

PITA but a quick and easy test to check your connections and wiring.

• it does sound power related, I ran mine from an old 2.5A phone charger and they worked fine - Turns out they do not draw anything higher than 2.1A....

I am running the PI and the LEDS off the 30a power supply, I did try to use the OEM PI power supply (I did order it when I got the PI), in case of a lack of enough power, this made no change.

The wiring on the LEDs are perfect(no other way to put it here, I know my last set what good but, not perfect), corners were using the no solder connectors and I even soldered them. Power goes in both sides with with steady voltage all around, checked every point with a voltmeter. This was all setup, soldered, everything OFF the TV, the last one I did was on the TV(what a PIA) This was my primary double check when was seeing LAG using GPIO-18. I've gone through this many times, just to be sure.

I'll check the power supply tonight. Maybe the power supply is a little low ? I know there is an adjustment on it. I guess that is the next step.. If it's outputting a little lower voltage it would cause these problems.

Do you think the random shutting off is due to power or timing ?

• no idea dave, wont do any harm tho just to make sure there are no connection issues as something is clearly happening somewhere when they are cranked right up

This is with brightness @ 90% (where there was no flickering)

So, I took my meter, put it in DC mode, connected to power supply + and - , and it gives me a 5.09v will going over a little cause a problem ?

Spot checking LEDs with the meter set at 0.000 on the corner that is the farthest away from the power connector shows 4.98v

Checking any closer will show a 5.04 or something in that range.

I will re-test and edit this after I get a full red image up. Problem is, the image on the video only shows for 2-3 seconds... This is again, with 90% brightness.

Ok, so I ran one of the test videos that showed full red as with other colors. On the farthest corner it was ranging (depending on the color) from 3.9 to 4.2v while while the LEDs were in use. Closer (same spot as before would show 4.3 to 4.7v while playing.

Next test: boost brightness to 100% and try again...

While at 100%, checking in the corner that is farthest away from the PS connection showed a little lower but, not much, 3.9 to 4.6v., as the closer one show the same, 4.3 to 4.7v.

Both of these were during the flashing... so not a major change.

I think I would expect to see the farthest corner have a little lower voltage but, it was not that bad. LEDs seems fine.

Still wondering what the heck is going on. Would a power supply a little higher cause this type issue ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!