Flickering on bright colors.... odd..

• So, for today, a holiday weekend, raining all weekend... sigh. So I deiced to work this. I got rid of the UNO, and just went with the PI on GPIO 18. Re-followed Dr.Z's video just for reminder things. I did grab a new HDMI capture device, one that was rated pretty good from others here.

With dropping the resolution down to 720 X 480, the lag is very little but, still there. A lot less than I could get with the UNO.

Had to drop the brightness down to 80% or red images (or any very bright color) would be a flicker/flashing fest. I am wondering why I need to do this ? I got a 5v 30a power supply, way over powered for what I actually need. Is the flicker due to power issues AKA lack of power ?

I used to have a 5v 10a PS doing this before (same amount of LEDs, with the old JAVA based Hyperion app), never a single flicker. I figured bigger supply would give better results... I guess not.

I'll have to play with it for a little bit but, looking good so far...

• Flickering could be a sign for unstable 5 Volts from the power supply. If you have a adjustable PS, make sure that stable 5V coming from the output.

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

• Flickering could be a sign for unstable 5 Volts from the power supply. If you have a adjustable PS, make sure that stable 5V coming from the output.

Back the thread, my voltage was higher, like 5.09v, with some trial and error, I got it to exactly 5v.

I tested this many times though out the process...

It's why I question it. 80% is fine but, just in case I want more range I would love to figure it out.

• Hi all,

Still been playing with this. So I got as new capture device and after a while the LEDs would go off after my screen flashing/resyncing. We'll long story short, I just added the PI power supply back, and all is resolved. I really wanted to have 1 power supply for this whole thing but, it's not really working like I want. I think my capture device just needs a little more power.

I got the LAG almost to nothing, very, very, very minor, and happy about that but, flickering still happens. If I take the brightness down to 60% it's only when the brightest image is on you can see very, very slight flickering (it's almost gone here) but, 60% is too low.

I find at 75-80% brightness it looks good and is bright enough but, flickering on bright images can get pretty bad at times.

I checked voltages. While running the LEDs with CN on (normally very bright images), I was seeing between 5.00v and 4.99v. I adjusted just a little, at idle it will be 5.004v, but, with a load, it's 5.00v solid, even on bright images.

I have 1 ground to the PI but, it's solid right to the power supply. Any other things I can try here ? It's almost there but, this flickering need to stop and having fairly bright would be nice.

• So, I have been troubleshooting this issue for quite a while, if I drop down to 50% or so, it does not flash any more but, it's to low unless the room is pitch black.

This weekend I wanted to try some things. The PI is connected via the 30a 5v power supply. On the PI I ran 2 more ground cables and this resulted in no change.

I took a longer cable, soldered it to the middle ground on LEDs (so, ground at start, even and middle) and that fixed it.

Changed to 100% brightness, not a single flicker...and lag is very little if any so it's working perfect now.

Still some minor other issues but, over all working great now...

• i had also a problem with my lights>> flickering on the ledstrip with some leds sometimes. ( flickering was appearing and fade away)

hardware configuration was still the same, so did some tests >> it was not the baudrate/software/hardware or connections.

upgraded to 2.11 from 2.10 still the same problems.

it was the Raspi, after i put the SD card into second Raspi ( i have backup Raspi) everything was back to normal.

this setup is identical only Raspi isn't the 3b+ but the 3b now.

i am going to use the 3b+ for Retropie now :) which doesn't need SPI connections.

• I use a 3b, it's one I have had for a while now. I picked it up JUST for this project. After this tweak of running another ground, it seems no flickering now. I just wish I could get the LAG down to 0... It's there, minor but, it's there.

Yea, I could lower it to 640 by 480 to minimize it but, I want detail if possible, so I run a little lower 720P on it @ 60fps, Would a PI 4 allow for like 1080p detail(I'm sure a true 720P would be enough for reasonable detail) and No lag ?

Or is there another trick to this, tried all the baudrate / software / hardware as listed in this thread alone....

Does the newest version help with this ? I have not upgraded yet but, was planning to..

My capture device does up to 4K @ 60hz, I want one that is lagless and supports up to 4k @ 120hz...

• Zitat von TheCoolDave

My capture device does up to 4K @ 60hz, I want one that is lagless and supports up to 4k @ 120hz...

This is Paasthrough or input for the Grabber, not the Grabber result. ;)

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von pclin ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!