Newbie, I need a lot of help

• Hi guys,

As the title says I'm a newbie yet I'd love to build my own ambilight. I have very little knowledge of electronics, I just have a pi running my smarthome using HA, nothing else.

I have a Playstation 4 working at 1080. Is there any tutorial for complete noobs?

Can I use a raspberry pi zero w? I don't find many guys using it

Which is the best/easiest way to build an ambilight for my PS4? In the coming 2 years I'll be buying a PS5 so I'd like to build a system that doesn't go obsolete by then.

It doesn't need to be the cheapest, led colors are the most important. I need it to be CEC compatible.

Well thanks in advanced for any help

• Yeah, you install Hyperion on the pi that's running HA via the command line - You have to SSH into the pi via something like Putty, find out what architecture of o/s you are using then install the correct version of Hyperion.

Sounds hard but is quite easy. is it the HA Operating system you installed on the pi? how is your command line usage? what Pi is it?

Yeah you probably can use the Zero but if you want 1080 you will need some sort of video grabber which needs some power and as cool as the Zero is, It lacks that.

If HA is currently on the Zero, just leave it there and pickup a pi3+ or go for a Pi4 to future proof it for 4k - although 4k is still not officially sorted it might be out the box stable by then (heres hoping) - then you can do a super easy Hyperion setup.

Look in the showcase section, see how others done it and read about the hardware, You could simplify your setup by going for a decent capture device that has a 4k loopback and CEC - IMO that would be your most crutial component and might be worth the extra cash esp if you get the PS5

Gives you some options to think on :thumbup:

• It's a pi 4 and yeah I'm using the HA operating system which I'm afraid won't allow me to do that setup?

tbh I decided to try DIY since I was expecting to get a cheap ambilight but so far I don't see that. Buying the components in Amazon goes up to 180€ already.

thanks for your help

• All you need to do is work out what type of architecture Home Assistant os is using and install the correct Hyperion version, very easy to do, The hardest part for you will be enabling the SSH Plugin and initially getting into the Pi, Once you can SSH into the Pi using a client like Putty you can simply run a few commands to install the latest Hyperion on your existing setup.

Here is a vid from youtube to explain it a bit better

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Im not 100% certain on the usernames or password to get root access to do the install but i see no reason that you would not be able to install Hyperion alongside Home Assistant :thumbup:

• That's really helpful, I'm definetely gonna check that out. But before that, my Pi is far away from my tv. As far as I read, I can use WLED to send color information to the leds wirelessly, but the video capture still needs to be plugged, right? is there a workaround? I can't move my PI near the TV.

Thanks again!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!