What's the point of Hyperion? Looks pointless to me

• Hi guys,

I've been reading just a little bit here and there in this forum. I documented myself to some extend and I can't understand the point of hyperion, I assume I'm missing something. I hope more documented people will be able to answer.

In my particular situation I wanted to build a system that allowed all my external HDMI devices to be connected to the light strip. I needed it to be HDR, 4K, CEC, Prime Video and Netflix compatible. After making some research I realized it was not viable since all required components (HDFury among them) were more expensive than, for example, the Lightpack UHD, so why should I bother? Even nearly as expensive as the Philips Hue system.

So I narrowed down my requirements to just PS4 games. Again did some research and in the best case scenario, purchasing from Ali that is, the equipment's cost raised to 100€. A hundred euros for equipment without warranty, which I don't love. I'd rather pay more and purchase it from Amazon but then the bill increased to 150€. Again, what's the point of Hyperion?

It's 150€, or 100€ if you preffer buying from Ali, that only works for one device (PS4 games in my case), no HDR, no CEC, no Prime video nor Netflix. If you go really cheap and buy a video grabber of questionable quality you might cut down the costs by 30€ but I'm not sure that's something I'd like to do.

I am ordering the AmbiVision PRO for 235€, 100% compatible with all current and any upcoming video/audio features from the unforeseeable future. Smart features wise, it has an API to build a component or, if you're not into it, it can learn up to 3 IR commands to move between modes and turn on/off, so a broadling turns this device into a smart light strip. The app goes pretty deep into color customization, it looks very similar to hyperion to be honest. And of course it works with anything that is displayed so, regular TV channels and any other source will work as well.

It feels like it's just the challenge of putting it together by oneself, not much more.

Why are you going the Hyperion route?

Thanks in advanced

• Hahaha what do you want with this topic, for every build there are customization options.. depends on the wallet, time, craft, quality and what not.

Indeed Hyperion.ng is not out of the box as Ambivision.

I wish you much happiness with your setup, but be honest and let us know how happy you are with that system in the long run 》 ofcourse we want an update !

• Hahaha what do you want with this topic, for every build there are customization options.. depends on the wallet, time, craft, quality and what not.

Indeed Hyperion.ng is not out of the box as Ambivision.

I wish you much happiness with your setup, but be honest and let us know how happy you are with that system in the long run 》 ofcourse we want an update !

So I'm not missing anything you mean? why not just get the Philips Hue system in your case for example? or the lightpack?

• sounds like you should just buy an Philips AMbilight TV and this project is not for you. You have too many grey areas and unable to move components to desired locations to assist you in making it all work.

Your video capture device needs to be semi decent to minimise other parts and poor quality but you may benefit from a decent splitter/grabber that allows the CEC etc and a cheap capture device, at the end of the day its only to get a signal for the lights, everything else is passing to the tv as normal to allow your HDR CEC etc.

I went down the Hyperion route as it looked cool, i spent £20 on LEDs and used my pi4 straight on the GPIO with a phone charger - it worked perfectly as I only originally wanted my media player to light up the wall so Platform Capture done everything i needed.

The more i used it the more i wanted my normal tv to light the wall too, so trial and error on cheap parts led me to buying a £45 Splitter and a cheap capture device - works perfectly even though capture device will only let me set the resolution of the leds to 720p its still beautiful. So i committed and upgraded the build.

That suits me fine as I can access netflix, youtube amazon and all that Jazz from my TiVo box so the leds work with that too.

Others use android grabber to grab their TV and send that to Hyperion - eliminating the need for any HDMI splitters or capture cards.

So it boils down to how do you adapt it to suit your setup, where are the bulk of the apps etc that you use?

Buying any prebuilt system always carrys the risk of scalability and future upgrading issues at least if you build it yourself you are in control.

I am happy with the 720p from my capture card and will try another cheap one later to see if i can achieve the 1080, The devs at Hyperion are doing an awesome job and this will get better as time goes by so bugfixes and features will be added, can this be said about any prebuilt system? - good example of the downsides to prebuilt is here https://hyperion-project.org/t…or-preset-disabled.11357/

but yeah £130 later and im glad i went the Hyperion route over any other method, I know my parts can be repurposed and reused if required

• So I'm not missing anything you mean? why not just get the Philips Hue system in your case for example? or the lightpack?

mate, this is what you are buying >>

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

not to point fingers or anything, this is just a technical point of view,
    i see already visible 'lag" between the video and the leds.
    maybe its me ( i am sure its not) but my setup even with smoothing is much faster and the lights follows the movement perfectly.
    given.. you have to invest time ( a lot of it) to have a almost perfect Ambilight with Hyperion, but if it runs then its al worth it.

the camera angle view option is very nice, you can place it almost anywhere in the room

but how i see it, Hyperion wins big in my book if i compare only to this video, the lag is not worth the price reduction that you have with this system, this video is a few days old.
    i see it now and already bothers the hell out of me >>> leds are not following the image fluently. . :LOL::brb:

• mate, this is what you are buying >>

Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

so how i see it, Hyperion wins big in my book if i compare to this video, the lag is not worth the price reduction that you have with this system.
    i see it now and already bothers the hell out of me >>> leds are not following the image fluently. . :LOL::brb:

Yeah, you're right with that. I'm giving up on lag and color accuracy vs other things. I'm not ok spending too much money into an ambilight system and this one seems good enough for me. As you said, with certain settings (no smoothing, no effects), ambivision can achieve a nearly zero lag experience, you can check it out in the video below. But yeah, I'm with you, ambivision doesn't match Hyperion's results, I don't even expect it.

Still, same question remains, seeing what you have spent to make your built, why didn't you just buy the philips sync box?

It's just DIY generally implies saving money and that is not happening here.

Don't take it personally, I'm just informing myself and maybe, depending on what I get here, I'll put back my order.

Video with nearly zero lag, I don't believe you can notice it.. specially if you watch the screen:

• Still, same question remains, seeing what you have spent to make your built, why didn't you just buy the philips sync box?

It went like this> mate bought a Ambilight TV from Phillips.
    i was amazed about the ambient lightning, my mate said that it was also possible to make that yourself.

thats where the triggering went and i go on the internet.
    the one of the first thing i found was Hyperion and it was controlled by a Raspi >> i already had a Raspi for Retropie.

i invested almost 10 days into the forum/video's drawbacks and everything to find out ( technically/ time/moneywise) to see if this was something for me to build.
    You know as a technician you see this kind of projects different > see if i can build it and make it even better?

along on the road you inspect other builds of other guys, you find out and explore also in software
    I was never the guy to buy a "instant" system so there you go, that goes for everything that i build.
    even in my job i have to jump sometimes in projects to other recources to make something possible...

you have to see it like this selfbuild systems are unique, nobody else has them .

thats why.

• so, with all respect and in few words, one can find hyperion worthwhile if one is a geek :)

I mean, I'm up to it if it's worthwhile. I built my smarthome with HA starting with zero programming knowledge and I loved it.. the end results with HA are way better than with any other system, that's why I dived in programming despite the difficulty.

I'm not sure that's happening with hyperion, not sure it's worthwhile.. and I wouldn't do it just for the sake of doing it myself.. specially considering that one might end up spending even more money that with a high quality end device.

It's like building DIY door sensors for HA that cost you more money that the greatly working Xiaomi sensors.. why would I do that? only if I'm a geek I guess :S..

• so, with all respect and in few words, one can find hyperion worthwhile if one is a geek :)

yes thats true, a little geekyness can't hurt to build a Hyperion setup from scratch >. i started with Hypercon and later on switched to NG..

btw, i like the camera setup in Ambivision because they will avoid going down the route with CEC/HDCP/HDR and Dolby Vision and what else for problems you can have to transmit data over HDMI. That's something you have to deal with when running Hyperion setup.

• btw, i like the camera setup in Ambivision because they will avoid going down the route with CEC/HDCP/HDR and Dolby Vision and what else for problems you can have to transmit data over HDMI. That's something you have to deal with when running Hyperion setup.

that's the main reason I'm leaning towards Ambivision. Worse color accuracy, some lag but in that regard fewer headaches and, if it lasts a long time, much less money. I would hate to replace my led strip parts or whole setup with every new incoming device (PS5, TV, etc)

• just get Hyperion built, its no different to Home Assistant install deep down you know you want to and know it makes sense but paranoid about wasting money when the real waste may be in a prebuilt system as IRL it may not live up to expectations.

Maybe have another look through forum, work out exactly what you need it to do and re assess,

You wouldn't need to rebuild every time you get a new device providing you plan ahead when building to allow for other things, LEDs will work with any build and should only need replaced due to your satisfaction levels of colouring and lighting, WS2812 are most common and supported in nearly every LED project so you can always repurpose them if required, you will never go wrong with a good quality PSU - the lifetime of the Pi you will probably need an additional 2 power supplies over time anyway, mcu's are £3-£5 so pretty much disposable, capture cards are a hit or a miss but worth the gamble , Splitter setup would be the biggest investment but worth every penny in the long run esp if you get a good one that will allow you to add deives later- other method is the capture/loopback but as you can see they are quite pricey

If you can hit 720 or 1080 on the leds via Hyperion is say you have a good setup that would be pretty darn accurate.

Each to their own tho, good luck

• Thanks for your input. It's not the difficulty of building it what's holding me back, it mainly is the amount of money.

Can you guys think of an hyperion setup that matches my needs (CEC, 4K, HDR, Prime Video and Netflix compatible) and doesn't cost more than 200€? If there is, I would really re consider. I would love to use the built in apps from my smart TV, but I could give up on that.

Been looking in the forums to make an Ambivision like build with Hyperion, but a fellow here put it clear that it's not feasible for various reasons. You know, the camera setup saves a lot of money

However, if there's a setup that fits my needs and doesn't go any higher than 200-250€ at the very most, I would really reconsider.

thanks again for your help, I'll check out the forums. For the moment I believe I'm gonna order the ambivision pro and test it out for 14 days.. if it doesn't please me I'll return it and dive deep into this forum

• Can you guys think of an hyperion setup that matches my needs (CEC, 4K, HDR, Prime Video and Netflix compatible) and doesn't cost more than 200€? If there is, I would really re consider. I would love to use the built in apps from my smart TV, but I could give up on that.

I guess it depends on what kind of hardware you already have and what quality you expect. Especially HDR is hard since it can seemingly only be done with HDFury hardware. But there are affordable options to get most of it working.

I am using a 50 euro HDMI grabber (might be even cheaper on Ali) + ~30 euros worth of LEDS+WLED+Power. Already had a Raspberry Pi 4 (running Home Assistant for automation next to HyperHDR). This works with 4k 60hz content and HDR is passed to my LG OLED TV as well (no Dolby Vision though). HyperHDR "converts" any HDR signal to SDR so Ambilight has brighter/more accurate colors. All content I play on my Nvidia Shield works with Ambilight, including Netflix, Prime, Disney+.

So what does not work is the following:
    - Real HDR conversion. HyperHDR mimics this using LUT-table conversion, which the results are fine for me.
    - Dolby Vision. As far as I am aware there are no (cheap) capture cards that can process this. My TV (2016) is limited to 30hz DV anyway, so I just watch HDR10 content.
    - ARC/CEC does not work using this capture card in between, but since my receiver has multiple monitors out, I use the main one just for ARC/CEC and another one for display. Works fine, but of course you would need a receiver that has multiple outputs.

HyperHDR & HASS on Raspberry Pi 4 | 4K 4:4:4 Grabber 60hz | Wemos D1 Mini - 221 LEDS (WLED UDP) | LG OLED55B6V | Denon AVR-X3700H | Nvidia Shield Pro | PlayStation 4 Pro

• I guess it depends on what kind of hardware you already have and what quality you expect. Especially HDR is hard since it can seemingly only be done with HDFury hardware. But there are affordable options to get most of it working.

I am using a 50 euro HDMI grabber (might be even cheaper on Ali) + ~30 euros worth of LEDS+WLED+Power. Already had a Raspberry Pi 4 (running Home Assistant for automation next to HyperHDR). This works with 4k 60hz content and HDR is passed to my LG OLED TV as well (no Dolby Vision though). HyperHDR "converts" any HDR signal to SDR so Ambilight has brighter/more accurate colors. All content I play on my Nvidia Shield works with Ambilight, including Netflix, Prime, Disney+.

It's what I am looking for/dealing with. I get 40K 60hz no problem but, when HDR comes in, it all goes black.

Anyone know of a current, fairly cheap, device that deals with HDR, HDR10 etc ?

• Anyone know of a current, fairly cheap, device that deals with HDR, HDR10 etc ?

Ehm, you just replied to a post that contains a link to one? It doesn't convert colors to SDR but it can deal with HDR(10) signals fine (except DV as explained).

HyperHDR & HASS on Raspberry Pi 4 | 4K 4:4:4 Grabber 60hz | Wemos D1 Mini - 221 LEDS (WLED UDP) | LG OLED55B6V | Denon AVR-X3700H | Nvidia Shield Pro | PlayStation 4 Pro

• I wish you much happiness with your setup, but be honest and let us know how happy you are with that system in the long run 》 ofcourse we want an update !

I'm back. Ambivision arrived a week ago and I can finally make an update now that it is 90% calibrated. Long story short, it's just outstanding although it has its flaws.

It's been a nightmare to calibrate. It has values that need to be calibrated both on how the camera sees the screen, and after that, how the colors are reproduced in the led strip.

There's R G and B gain values for the camera as well as an auto camera gain range which adjusts how the camera captures the screen depending on how bright the content is.

On the led strip side, there's gamma correction, saturation correction and color curves for every channel. Leds are addressed individually much like hyperion and unlike Philips, whose gradient led strip has several sections of 10 leds each, which look ugly to me. In the app it's mandatory to set how many leds are laying in every side of the TV, like hyperion I believe? it doesn't get any more precise than this.

One of my major concers, which was latency, vanished the first day. There's no latency, not even with at 30% smoothing effect, which is more than needed for a fluid performance. Even at 100% there's not much latency and at 0% there's no flickering, so all in all, zero problems with that.

On top of that, it has an API with which I can easily control the led strip through Node Red. It has been integrated in my smart home seamlessly.

It has a beautiful effect perhaps due to the camera setup? Playing Death Strading for example, when an image with a very bright sky on the top half is displayed and dim grass in the top bottom, the led strip only represents the top half with a beautiful pure white. Hoever if you turn down the camera so you don't see the sky and see only grass, suddenly it represents the grass with a beatiful dim yellowish green. You go back up, and the dim green dissapears. It's beatiful because it behaves just like the human eye.

Now the cons. The app crashes a lot, there's a lot to improve in the whole system since every now and then certain settings go back to default and I need to open to app to readjust them (thankfully color calibration stays intact. Only smoothing and some other minor things). Support sucks, you have to figure out yourself almost everything. I hope it keeps up in the long run?

So, concluding, and I hope I don't get much hate, I can only thing of one reason I would go the hyperion route and that is color accuracy. I believe with Ambivision it's just not possible to get a 100% absolute perfect color accuracy given how the system works. I do believe that's feasible with hyperion although I have found just one guy in this forum who has been able to achieve that with hyperion. However, when looking at the screen, 90% color accuracy feels like a 100%. For the rest, IMHO Ambivision just outweights Hyperion by far. (CEC,HDR,4K,FHD,HDR10,TV shows, TV sports, infinite inputs, built in TV apps, etc...)

However, I understand you guys going this route instead of Philips, I definetely share that.

Porbably in the future I'll give hyperion a go in smaller project. Maybe for the kids console or something of the like, because I'd really really love to delve into it and get 100% perfect color accuracy.

• More ambivision cons

Since it depends on a camera and automatically adjusts the gain according to the screen brightness, when moving from a dark scene to a bright one it takes 1 second to adjust. It doesn't cripple the experience, it's not even noticeable when watching the sceen, but if you seek it you find it. It can avoided by disabling the auto camera gain but then dark scenes always leave the strip off.

in the end I don't love any system (govee, philips, hyperion, ambivision).. this one is the least worst for my needs. With hyperion I believe I'd love the way it breaks the colors and matches the screen, but I'd hate to give up on my TV apps and be HDMI dependant.. I really can't tell which one is better tbh.

Is there any hope that Hyperion will ever be compatible with the built in TV apps? that would be the perfect ambilight

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!