White LED's yellow- powering at both ends help.

• Hi, I have questions regarding half of my leds showing yellow instead of white at some instances. I researched and looks like might be a power issue. I currently have a 5v 15a 75w power brick powering my RasPi 3+ and SK9822 led strip. I ordered a 5v 60A 300 watt power supply () and should be here tomorrow. So, my question is, if the extra power alone doesn't solve the problem, and I have to power at both ends, is it just as simple of soldering power and ground to the last led in the strip? so, essentially, all will be powered at both ends? Or do I power one half from the front side and one half from the back? (meaning, cut the strip half way through and just solder the co and do leads in the middle? I hope im making sense. I don't want to burn these LED's up by doing it wrong. Thanks!!!

PS all other colors work perfectly, it's just white on half the strip is yellow when the picture is full bright white on the tv.

• PS all other colors work perfectly, it's just white on half the strip is yellow when the picture is full bright white on the tv.

wiggle the strip at the led that has a diffrent white colour, maybe there is a breach on a led> it seems more a hardware flaw to me and the strip itself, but you never know so with a new PSU you rule that out.

yes you can power from both sides, how much leds are you have to lit?
    you can connect +5volts and GND to the begin and the end of the strip, make sure the connections is soldered nice ( no cookie baking practices)
    and measure the voltage, should not extend 5 volts when connected to your setup/

you can also cut the strip in half what you said and then power it from the beginning twice, but its more work/hassle and not nessecary to do.

• thanks for the reply. It's definitely a solid connection. I triple checked it just now. I'm running 263 LED's on a APA102 equivalent strip. It seems to be exactly what other threads describe as a power issue. Hyperion estimates I need 17.4A at max power consumption and I only have a 15A power brick, is I assume that's it. I'm hoping the new power unit will solve it without having to run another wire to the end of the strip. I just wanted to make sure I do it right if I have to...

• I'm hoping the new power unit will solve it without having to run another wire to the end of the strip.

even if it does then all te current thats needed to lit all the lights especially the ones at the end of the string/strip goes trough the first led and that one will die probably fast. To circumvent this you can place a resistor in series before the strip on 5 volt line.

thats not the recommendation, i would power from both sides if leds is exceeding more then 80/100 leds, or have a maximum until 100 leds, then cut and begin again 100 leds and daisychain the datalines.
    if you get my drift.

btw did you measure the 5volts coming out the PSU?

• I know what you mean. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal to daisy chain like that cause I soldered all the corners from the beginning. So I would just have to remove the + and - from each corner and replace with power, but I think I'll do the power to beginning and end and see how that goes. I think the PSU was 4.9 volts when I first set up the led's.

• well, I received the much better power supply this afternoon and installed it. It didn't make much of a difference. Left half and top of tv was perfect white, the right half and bottom of tv yellow instead of white. I just now ran another power and ground to the end of the led strip, and low and behold, PERFECT whites all around at 100% brightness in hyperion. I couldn't be happier.

So, to everyone looking at this from here forward, RUN POWER AND GROUND TO BEGINNING AND END OF LED STRIP. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!