Adjust Camera in Hyperion - Color - Help required

• Wow, I really hope you get somewhere with all this. I recently purchased Ambivision and I'm delighted with the results.

I would still love to have a DIY solution for this camera setup.

fingers crossed, I'll be watching you guys!

• Basic idea :

• Spare webcam with pi zero at approx 2 meters from the TV
    • Long cable from pi zero to leds
    • Leds not glued to tv but on a wood frame put on the TV stand (my TV has a 15° angle with the wall)

Why camera:

• Bad experience with grabber disconnecting, bad hdmi connexion..
    • Don't want to compromise on HDR/SDR, 2.1 HDMI with ps5..

what i tested:

• webcam with pi 3 at approx 2 meters from my old TV with glued leds from previous grabber Hyperion installation using the long webcam's usb cable
      • Worked like a charme but was not very WAF
      • Didn't notice lag (but just tried one night)
      • Colors were not as accurate as grabber solution
    • tested a long 3 meters cable between pi3 and leds controlling led via web app

Need to

• Build the frame
    • unglue leds and make rebuild bigger "rectangle" (switched from 50" TV to 55")
    • Test another spare webcam with pi zero
    • put webcam and pi zero together in a box
    • hide the long cable
    • some color calibration (but i don't need super accuracy)
    • enjoy

Ambivision seems good, but i have a lot of spare part to use :)

• how does the camera behave with brightness shifts? how does it compare to an HDMI setup with hyperion?

With ambivision there's a value called auto camera gain range to calibrate how the camera adjusts to the screen brightness. It's noticable how the camera takes around a second to adjust to the scene when you move from a bright scene to a dark scene and viceversa. If you set the gain range too low, it ingnores mid-low and low tones. If you set it too high, it catches all colors but it doesn't do a great job since brighter colors get washed.

• I finished my installation!

I'm trying to find the best camera settings for movies at night, and yes, there is color wash between bright/dark scene.

I think the camera can't be configured for both scene.

In my case it will be enough since my priority is on screen image. And my TV stand far from (an "elephant grey") wall leds lights will be mixed when they hit the wall. Acurate colors is very difficult in my case. Plus i add 25% backlight in my config. Leds never stop

n6T-kavei_nTeP4ZYHAYc6yeDl34TxwM7cQBlDkxqz0w4teQPb59Lz1K68U394k5_UVzxkZkAgOVd-0-of58XGR4RnF9fyv8CgpSbI3B35IwOquVLYQaIDIpRyYzZDfqOBgwD1uQZyglhUjI0A2KQliAQjy-KiQFTsdLGUoiTnBRTN7LP3rNZ8TshXpl9HZrUS5fAGOJ-l1aKtXZcuIASXWJnTd8qaiQ0yz2SLblfc9hsE4lV7ZDmmzAKTcphXNbFbAKgxCiZ2YcLF9NiU6dartHtXNC8FDzjRAe-CWwf92ZEKoD8xCASyDmtbj7sxnKVQlM5YdSqF4MrOnetfpD7u_yuzxmWVnCGek_2V3FkVxKvzlpTpTGi55E3njNuSCuxapgUQmTO5dy_PisGeOVvfzQU0XC1NX356vh000y7WzwRH251AVbEk1wlkoq8YXaQMKflxT9b1S2luPYGRUPMvpixGoX9HbPGvtDAxFHBzuzRPQd_QXkIR_0i12nTeO6MyH5k0tMosPp4p1zu0O3KSPlz3yAo4OKULEbMEivUMHB6-I1yMbPUIktRRNqSO4sjF14PaRkHB6Rulll-XJ2jHdAholskncUP0ZChdoGGwg1WLFTR1yBcycF1eod18CjNQkp0D-x4Azp0OwCbEwD9iufYX7bpZgXirTiUu29NyUv-zoNYVNl27mEsdmrbf9gIB-5xkV-AL-gJc7Jeui8l4L5=w946-h1261-no?authuser=0

you can see results on dark scene here :

https://youtu.be/1NhSNdxoXkQ

https://youtu.be/jyh6tAEyC6M

Colors are betters in real life than the footages from my phone, i filmed what the camera preview from hyperion is seeing too.

• Hello,

I am also using a setup using a rpi zero w together with a logitech c270 webcam. Behind my tv I have an esp8266 runnig wled, which drives the led strip.

here are some examples of my setup. the results are fine for me.

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

The videos were shot during day time. At night the effects are nicer, but sudden changes in brightness are difficult for the cam and it takes a moment until the cam automatically adjusts the exposure.

• luchow3cu

very nice result, i have the same webcam and have to say that this is an nice option to try out in the bedroom.

what's the distance between the cam and tv ?

The distance is maybe 1.5-2 meters. The pi is connected to a power bank, this allows me to place the pi further away from the tv to get the complete screen. The signal is sent to an esp8266 behind the tv running wled

• Prior to buying ambivision I questioned in the forum whether it was feasible to achieve a camera setup with hyperion and I was advised against. I clearly stumbled upon the wrong guy, this setups look both really promising, at least worth a try, really beautiful results!

How do you guys deal with different refresh rates? can you set different refresh rates on your cameras? Can that be done in any way?

Colors are betters in real life than the footages from my phone,

They look beautiful anyways!

The distance is maybe 1.5-2 meters.

Do you believe it could work witha 4-5 meters distance?

thanks guys

• luchow3cu very nice result too! Did you keep the camera default setting (auto exposure..) ?

i can see no lag from the esp8266! Luckily i have a place to hide the cable from pi to led so i don't need it

Do you believe it could work witha 4-5 meters distance?

thanks guys

I think it can work, but the camera will capture a large zone and more light arround the TV.

So switching between bright/dark scene will take more time.

And i think you will need higher camera resolution (used 320*240 in my case)

If you have a raspberry pi and a spare webcam you can give it a try without led :

• install hyperion
    • plug the camera
    • virtually add led to hyperion config / configure the layout to match your tv place
    • Use the video preview from hyperion to see what happen and how leds react to image
      • Play with camera parameters from ssh command interface
      • V4l2-ctl -L list your camera adjustable parameters
      • Example to adjust camera brightness : v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl=brightness=150
      • Default parameters are loaded on systeme startup
      • Follow this to set your parameters on startup/camera plug : https://askubuntu.com/a/958927/1215945
    • If you think that the camera see your TV good enough, buy the leds :)

Hyperion.ng made testing much more useable than the older hyperion+hypercon. you can try lots of config :)

I think you can even try just with hyperion on windows if you don't have a pi.

• Did you keep the camera default setting (auto exposure..) ?

At the moment I took the videos the camera was running with its standard settings. Now I've increased the saturation from 32 to 50 and set exposure_auto_priority to ON

Follow this to set your parameters on startup/camera plug

Thanks! I didn't know you can change the settings when the camera is plugged. I added my settings to the rc.local file, but will try the other option.

• How do you guys deal with different refresh rates? can you set different refresh rates on your cameras? Can that be done in any way?

I didn't had any issues with the different refresh rates or at least it wasn't noticeable for me. The logi c270 cam with its default parameters does a good job. I don't see any flickering either in the UI nor in the leds.

• luchow3cu setting saturation was a good idea, my C270 settings from v4l2-ctl -L command:

i will make a new video of the result tonight

• Video from last night, switching to camera was a good idea :)

Externer Inhalt youtu.be

• Hey guys,

how are you setups doint with dark browns? or with games like jouney?

I have found it very difficult to calibrate them with a camera. For some reason it goes too reddish or just off

is there any other color you find that goes off?

thanks

• how are you setups doint with dark browns? or with games like jouney?

I played a youtube video of journey and the color of the leds were not so accurate. It was more of a white tone. I haven't tried to calibrate any colors yet. I'll try to do it this days and upload a photo/video.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!