why a grabber and eventually what kind of?

• Hello everyone,

I am testing Hyperion on a Pi 3 B+ with a led strip, without any grabber or splitter (as there is no image or sound output). Whether I could get a light effect on idle mode? It seems no...

It seems a grabber is (absolutely) necessary. Now which one should I pick up?

I read that an HDMI grabber with loop avoids to use a splitter (I have one but if I can avoid it, that's probably better but it could become hot > is that true?).

I also read that a RCA grabber is still the best solution...

EDIT: I thought a grabber would avoid HDCP problems and I am a bit confused here. Why a grabber for my test without any output?

• kart-able

Hat den Titel des Themas von „which grabber ?“ zu „why a grabber and eventually what kind of?“ geändert.
  • It seems a grabber is (absolutely) necessary. Now which one should I pick up?

What is your source? You can pick up a HDMI to USB 2.0 capture device from a few places. I have this one.

You should be able to get some light from the kit without a source though - for testing the different Hyperion light effects for example.

• You should be able to get some light from the kit without a source though - for testing the different Hyperion light effects for example.

Did you try that without your grabber? For me the result is negative.

So you also have a splitter I presume, with one HDMI connection to your capture device and the other one to your TV?

• I have Hyperion version 2.0.0-alpha.9 running on top of Raspbian Buster, a led strip attached to pin 12 (GPIO 18) and source effect "warm mood blobs" selected in the remote control section, with priority 254. Nothing happens...

My led strip is ok, tested with another device.

• I read that an HDMI grabber with loop avoids to use a splitter (I have one but if I can avoid it, that's probably better but it could become hot > is that true?).

I also read that a RCA grabber is still the best solution...

You probably read my topic, hot story i am talking about is not the splitter its the CPU of the Raspi when overused.

RCA grabbers work very nicely but you also need a extra HDMI splitter and/or 4k to RCA converter for it ( nowadays most people have 4K HDR) which is expensive and a problem.

they choose a HDMI capturedevice with everything in it then which lower the costs

• Yes I read afterwards your latest topic which answers some of my questions here :thumbup: Thanks.

I should have started with this forum instead of viewing all these videos, with some outdated ones. I could figure out that RCA grabbers are not an up-to-date solution, but some people seemed to insist on this.

Anyway, I will go for an HDMI capture device 'with a loop' now... Still wandering why my test does not work :/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!