Flickering Lights

• Hi everyone, I wonder if anybody might be able to help me with this issue. I had the lights working correctly but I would need to power everything on and off multiple times to get my capture card to work correctly (sometimes the lights would show but no picture would appear on the tv). Then I had the issue of flickering lights so I read a previous thread and added a grnd wire between the Pi and LED's which seemed to fixed the issue.
    I was annoyed that the capture card would sometimes not show a picture etc so I brought a new capture card to try and fix the issue and now the flickering lights are back.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Spec:

Pi 3 b

5v 10A power supply (running LEDs and Pi)

WS2812B LED's (using 100 total)

old cap card (attached - Y&H card)

new cap card (attached - KeeQii card)

Settings attached and I'm using GPIO18

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks

• settings is okay, set USB device to camera with LOOP capture devices on first/second picture.

Hyperion.NG redetects them the whole time on USB grabber setting , when switched to CAMERA that stops.

Hyperion.NG sees the device as a camera because of the LOOP capturing, probably there's a chip inside which tells the Hyperion.NG software "i am a camera"

i think/suspect the capture devices are both fine,

1. Flickering can be diffrent things.
    2. make sure you have a steady/clean and powerfull PSU which provides DC voltage and current > overkill in power doesn't hurt at all. No more then 5 volts.
    3. connect more than one GND pin to the PI, solder the wires to the pins
    4. ground everything to PSU GND, so leds/PI/MCU/level converter.......... EVERYTHING
    5. Power the ledstrip from BOTH sides ( begin and the end) , + 5 volts and GND and bring them both separatelly to PSU

when used GPIO18 (PWM) disconnect the audio in config.txt

dtparam=audio=off

sometimes you need a Logic level converetr for GPIO18 setup with ws281x PWM controller, but first try this steps

goodluck!

• settings is okay, set USB device to camera with LOOP capture devices on first/second picture.

Hyperion.NG redetects them the whole time on USB grabber setting , when switched to CAMERA that stops.

Hyperion.NG sees the device as a camera because of the LOOP capturing, probably there's a chip inside which tells the Hyperion.NG software "i am a camera"

I'm having trouble changing the 'device' to camera, I have the input as Camera 1 but the device does not give me the option of 'Camera' . . unless I'm missing something.

Forgive me I'm very new to this. Sorry

• device: USB Video: USB Video

input: Camera 1

the rest of the settings have to be static NOT automatic.

FPS > like 15f/s

resolution > lowest possible in 16/9 and build up

PAL or NTSC ( PAL is better most of times)

size decimation > between 4 and 12

have you solved the "flickering" already? its wise just to begin with only ONE troubleshooting at the time :)

if you sort the "flickering" out then look at capture device or vise versa

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von TPmodding () aus folgendem Grund: Ein Beitrag von Lighting-guy77 mit diesem Beitrag zusammengefügt.

• No still have the issue but currently working my way through the possibilities checking them off one at a time. One thing I have found is that If i pick a static sold colour then there is no flickering at all. But as soon as I go back to the usb/camera the flickering is back. This makes me think that the power / grnds etc are fine and it's an issue on the software side?

All effects aswell as solid colours work fine aswell.

• I’ve been pulling my hair out since 4am this morning. For anybody reading this, for the love of god just connect a pin from ground terminal on the pi. It is 3 over on the top row from the sd card and connect the other end to ground running to the lights. Everybody says this, and I thought the ground powering the pi is what they meant, I was wrong.. everything working beautifully now, it was flickering like crazy before. You all are my heroes! :)

• Ground wires are correct (Multiple grounds) but glad you got yours sorted =)

I'm using a 5v 10A (pic attached)

Powering the capture card from a usb port on the Pi

powering the Pi and LED's from the PSU

If I unplug the wire from GPIO18 the flickering stops and the lights stay on solid . . as soon as I plug it back in they flicker again. But the lights are only white when on USB capture not the colours on the tv so it's almost as if the pi is not getting a signal from the capture card. I do get a picture on the tv through the capture card though.

I have two capture cards and both are the same.

The frustrating thing is that everything did work just fine, the flickering has been a new unwanted addition to the setup.

• lest you got it all on the 1 psu so that should help , when yo pull the wire on the gpio the leds stay lit to how they were berore the pull so sounds about right.

what are the power recommendations for the new capture card? only thing i can think of is power usb port is limited to around 2.4A im sure, depending on how hard your pi is working you could be using maybe 1-1.5A straight off the bat, leaving you around 1A ish for the capture device.

Or the brick is putting out too much voltage or cant cope with the demand.

• Just tried a dedicated power supply for the capture card and still the same.

Would this have anything to do with it? =/

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• no idea, might just be because of the device, just giving you some suggestions as it looks power related, personally id power the capture device from the PSU rather than the Pi, why give it any extra stress than it needs and if your device draws more than 1.2A the Pi3 will never power it as it has a combined shared amount of 1.2A for all 4 ports

https://www.raspberrypi.org/do…usb/README.md#powerlimits

Have a look at the Interoperability between the Raspberry Pi and USB 3.0 hubs section underneath, you might need to plug something else in to see if it works any better, you never know

Good Luck

• my bad i never noticed that part you powered it externally,

Its a tough 1 to judge, is it flickering or is it reacting to the dodgy video source Hyperion is picking up.

your going to need to do some digging on the device, see if its all installed and supported and what it actually supports then tweak your Hyperion info from there. You could try enabling debug logging in the Dashboard but chances are its going to point the finger at the capture device

do you know how to run commands on the pi terminal?

• mouse: If you use a RPi3, copy this in /boot/config.txt in a new line

Code
    max_usb_current=1

then, restart the Pi.

Setting "max_usb_current=1" set the available current over USB to 1.2A (default is 600mA).

This can help if you have a decent power supply and need to power something like a small external HDD or something that needs more than 300mA.

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

• This is a repost but it was a problem I had hope it helps.

I had this issue a while back and had to change the settings on the cheap amazon capture card I had to set it very low under

Platform Capture

Like 80 width 45 hieght and 1o frequency. That stopped the problem for me.

• So my setup reverted back to flickering within a few days of my last post. I did some investigating and figured out that the power draw from the 115 LEDs could reach 50W alone, without considering the Pi's draw. I upgraded my 5V 10A 50W power supply to a 5V 15A 75W power supply and I haven't had any flickering since. The live video screen within Hyperion also works flawlessly now, whereas before I was just seeing a scrambled screen.

What's interesting is that Hyperion suggests that the max power consumption is 7.5A which should be 37.5W. Based on that, my original power supply should've been enough but I guess not. Anyways, hope this helps others.

• Hello all. I have similar problem with flickering but not all LED are flickering. Only around last 50 LED on the strip (few on bottom and entire left last side). If I reduce brightness to 50% flickering is gone.

Using Pi Zero W, PIN 18 and 226 LED WS2812B strip. Corners connected with L connectors. GND on Pi Zero W (PIN 6) is connected to shared PSU and LED GND connectors. Should I connect more GND pins from Pi Zero W to shared GND (ie. 14, 20, 30, 34, 9, 25, 39)?

Power supply is Mean Well LRS -100/5 V/DC 18 A 90 W, which should be more then enough. I power the strip only on one side. Can I use same PSU to power it from the end +5V and GND on strip with same +5V and GND from PSU?

Thank you for any given tips.

• I power the strip only on one side. Can I use same PSU to power it from the end +5V and GND on strip with same +5V and GND from PSU?

yes power from BOTH sides will probably resolve everything.

GND to GND

+5volts to +5 volts VCC

Should I connect more GND pins from Pi Zero W to shared GND (ie. 14, 20, 30, 34, 9, 25, 39)?

its always recommended to use at least two GND pin's (every combination will work) and join them together to GND PSU and ledstrip.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!