LOOP capturing devices purchased from Amazon or Ali Express >> how to set up in Hyperion.NG? problem of re-apearing all the time in remote section/drivers, Only Raspi NOT Windows pc

• Do you think that rpi 4 would recognize hdmi to usb cable? It is compatible with Linux

maybe, i don't have PI4 so can't say. Most USB capturing devices are detected and recognized by Hyperion.NG

its HDMI to USB so chance is that it'll work. :thumbup:

when u have it, stick it in the PI and give a command in terminal,

lsusb

if the device is in there you'll see it, probably will be recogized also then by Hyperion.NG

• hi folks,

i also got one of the devices as in the picture in the first post, and i'm struggling to get it to work on rpi0. when i plug it in, nothing shows up in lsusb, dmesg; here is the output from v4l2-ctl:

So it doesn't seem to be recognized. Same behavior when i plug it in to my laptop running ubuntu 20.04. i've also tried a windows box, and there i have no issues - everything works like a charm, so i'm confident that the device itself is working properly.

Any suggestions how to get it to run on Linux, or is there no hope?

• there's some hope,

increase the USB power output in config.txt

max_usb_current=1

you can also try to update drivers in terminal

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

• Thanks a lot for a quick response, appreciate it! I tried as you suggested, i.e. increased the usb power and upgraded, but the result is the same. i'm wondering whether this could be a cable issue, at least something should be showing up in dmesg when i plug it in, right?

• at least something should be showing up in dmesg when i plug it in, right?

yes you can try this>> in terminal/ssh with screen connected or VNC activated

sudo apt-get install mplayer

then,

sudo mplayer tv:// -tv device=/dev/video0 -hardframedrop

if the capturing device is working then u should see ( if its device 0 ) the capturing image :)

• finally got my card to work - it was indeed an issue with the cable. tried every single cable that i could find and eventually the device was recognized. after some tinkering with the settings everything works now. thanks for the help!

• Hi,

hi folks,

i also got one of the devices as in the picture in the first post, and i'm struggling to get it to work on rpi0. when i plug it in, nothing shows up in lsusb, dmesg; here is the output from v4l2-ctl:
    Code $ v4l2-ctl --list-devices bcm2835-codec-decode (platform:bcm2835-codec): /dev/video10 /dev/video11 /dev/video12 bcm2835-isp (platform:bcm2835-isp): /dev/video13 /dev/video14 /dev/video15 /dev/video16 Cannot open device /dev/video0, exiting. Alles anzeigen

So it doesn't seem to be recognized. Same behavior when i plug it in to my laptop running ubuntu 20.04. i've also tried a windows box, and there i have no issues - everything works like a charm, so i'm confident that the device itself is working properly.

Any suggestions how to get it to run on Linux, or is there no hope?

I was struggeling with the same issue, but here is how I fixed it a minute ago, at least for now:

Hardware:

WS2801

RasPi 3b with Hyperbian

HDMI2USB Capture Card with Loop (https://de.aliexpress.com/item…042311.0.0.63294c4d3bN53r)

To fix the problem, I found help on this site https://www.pcwelt.de/ratgeber…ry-Pi-selbst-9824929.html (sorry, it is in german)...

In brief, I checked for proper firmware with apt-cache search firmware, providing me with a long list of different peripherals. In this list, I found the firmware hdmi2usb-mode-switch, which I installed via apt-get install hdmi2usb-mode-switch. Having that done, I was able to find my usb streaming card via lsusb etc. and after a reboot also hyperion recognized it as a possible usb input device. Finally, I followed the steps mentioned in the initial post, which brought my ambilight to life.

I hope this solution will work more than 5 minutes...

Cheers

• So now I have this video capture device with loop and it is not easy.

First I had to run Hyperion as root. Then my device was not found by the system until I called it /dev/video14

Then I'd like to follow your advice, but I can't enter Camera1 under input. Only figures fit in.

I have 15 fps, but what device resolution do you advise for a start?

• As I said, I can't enter Camera 1 under 'input'. And I wonder if it's a harware problem, because the capture device is supposed to return some value to hyperion?

When I click on input > automatic , I have -1 for default, which I can replace with a figure but no letters.

I'd like to find another usb cable before I come to the conclusion the capture device is faulty. What do you think?

• I have 15 fps, but what device resolution do you advise for a start?

smallest possible like 240p and then build up. Sizedecimation between 4 and 12 in beginning.

always do

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get update

in terminal, after that reboot

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!