Discussion: Hyperion no solder Tutorial

• just a quick note. i was able to fix my issue by making sure that, even if your not powering your pi with the 10a power adapter, you STILL need to ground your pi to the power supply. if you dont ground it, you get random colors and flickering leds.

my setup is the same as this tutorial but i threw in a usb grabber, hd to analog converter, and hdmi switch with any amount of inputs that you need as long as it has at least 2 output hdmi. for output its 1 to the tv and another for the pi hd to analog converter. i also went ahead and put a fuse between the power and the pi&led strip to power it all from 1. also, just went ahead and added a on/off button to just turn everything off after doing a shutdown command via a shortcut on my phone to the pi.

with the additions above, i tried rasbian lite on a pi1 model b and use the hypercon to install the hyperion. everything works great!

• Hello all,

I was able to take care of my power supply issue and got my lights to work! Everything works perfectly with OSMC but I want to continue this project to include all of my HDMI video sources. I know it says that the HDMI instructable here is under construction so I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I've seen other people do it online but they are all very confusing. The instructions here were simple and concise for a novice like me. Thanks in advance!

Bob

• Hello all,

I was able to take care of my power supply issue and got my lights to work! Everything works perfectly with OSMC but I want to continue this project to include all of my HDMI video sources. I know it says that the HDMI instructable here is under construction so I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I've seen other people do it online but they are all very confusing. The instructions here were simple and concise for a novice like me. Thanks in advance!

Bob

Yes it works great with every HDMI connected. If you check my post before this I briefly mentioned it. I am using a pi1 model b as a standalone Hyperion. If you send me a a pm I can link you all the hardware I used.

• Greetings, thnaks for the great tutorial I bought all the parts with some changes.

I choose 60Leds/m, and PS is 5V, 15A.. Good?

I follow the same instruction exactly, but somehow I can't get it to work, the Hyperion installation and configuration part is the one I'm stuck with, I don't know what is the problem exactly, I connect with ssh and install the Hyperion and sent the config all without any error but the led wont respond. My configuration I think is right, and I think the problem is with the Pi or power supply.

leds acting strangely, one is ON, and the other OFF and so on....
    and some times all ON static, or half of them ON and the rest is OFF

so what do you think? I hope someone help me

Thanks ~

• Hi all,

I connected the leds on my TV, installed OSMC and configured Hyperion. I can indeed control all the leds and it works great :)
    Now im wondering, when i play a movie on OMSC (have to configur Kodi first) will it automatically work the ambilight?

In other tutorials it shows that you have to place a file in the .config folder while i dont even have that folder in my Pi :|

If it works with a movie on Kodi then its a small step for me to get it working through my xbox with the video grabber, splitter, etc..

• Hey guys, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question covered somewhere else, but I have spent a good 5 hours looking for it online and in these forums and haven't found it yet.

I had a previous setup pretty much exactly like this for my old Plasma 60":
    https://christianmoser.me/how-…ht-for-every-hdmi-source/

Now I have upgraded to an LG OLED and I have to reconstruct. I want to follow this tutorial but if I have done my math right using the apa102-c's I will need to power about 274 LEDs.

Question: Can I follow this tutorial and simply add a higher transformer to handle the load? OR Do I need to follow something like how this guy did his (supplying power to all sides):

https://hyperion-project.org/t…hyperion-mediaportal.927/

Thanks very much.

• Hi everybody. Newby here.
    First time RPI/Linux/Kodi user here.
    I'm gathering all the hardware and software, needed for the project.
    I simple question, that I have for now. I need only OMSC loaded on the SD Card, or do I need Kodi first?
    Any help, would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Tibor

• Hi everyone. This is my first time attempting something like this and I'm having a little trouble with the power to the LEDs. I wired everything according to the diagram, but when I plug in the power to the LEDs the DC connector and the light strips become very hot to the touch. I am using 5V 15A power block and APA102 lights that are 30leds/m as recommended. I have a 50 inch tv, so I'm not even using the whole strip of lights. Any ideas as to why they are overheating? Thanks!

• Hi, thank you for the great tutorial !!
    first project i make and since i have no experience with electricity i'd like to know if i can use this type of connectors: , instead of the push pin one in the tutorial.
    can i use them even for multiple wires? (2 or 3 wires into 1 ?)
    if those are not the best ones, can i solder the wires with a soldering iron and heat shrink tube?

thanks!

• Hi guys, new to this theme, and couldn't find answer to one question:
    Is it possible to use for TV ambilight controlled with R Pi 3 B+ this type of LED STRIP:
    12V, SMD 5050, 4 pins ( 12v, R, G , B) ( photo attached). What's you opinion?

LED strip are like this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…le-Light/32422156648.html

Found maybe possible connection solution for it: http://mitchtech.net/raspberry-pi-pwm-rgb-led-strip/
    Yet could i control it from R Pi +

• Not without quite a bit of extra circuitry.
    You'll need a transistor circuit that enables to switch each color individually and program a driver for it too that works with hyperion. Also, you'll need a cooling setup most likely, because the transistors will need to be able to handle 3-4A each.
    And, the biggest issue of course: You can't address the LEDs individually. You can only change the color of the entire strip, which makes it completely useless for ambilight purposes.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!