Discussion: Hyperion no solder Tutorial

• Hey this tutorial really helped me.

Parts I used were

60/m APA102 LEDS 206 all together
    no soldering all clips
    RPI 3
    5v 20 Amp Switching Power Supply Converter

Surprisingly after the configuration the only problem was that one connector wasnt tight enough. I pressed it with my finger and not it is all good to go.

This was one of my first projects where something didnt go really wrong lol.

I did a fast color calibration this morning and it wasnt too difficult.

my only issue has been that im using one of the cheap SUPERNIGHT switching power supplies and when I wire the 5v from the rpi3 and put it with the 5v from the LED I get the rainbow up top and really bad performance. Right now it is being powered by a separate 5v 2.1a usb and I do not want it like that.

After just looking it up I may have it set to 220v mode instead of 120v mode.(wonder how its still working so well though) Ill have to check when I get back. Hopefully this is the problem.

What are your suggestions for other settings such as the linear smoothing setting? Also is there any other types of smoothing?

• "Hyperion also allows for video capture methods so that you can use it for every HDMI input source be it a console or set top box " . I have satellite TV tuner to receive the video signal to Hyperion .

The question in what way ?

• hi everyone. im having a trouble with the setup, do i really need to use Winscp to upload the hyperion.config.json file to the /etc folder of osmc? been trying to send config and start/stop button but still no response from the leds. a little walkthrough here will be very much appreciated. or you can just email me @ pinheads998@gmail.com.

THANKS A LOT!

PS:

ssh in: Nov 20 00:33:06 osmc hyperiond[565]: Build Time: Jul 25 2016 06:54:40
    ssh in: Nov 20 00:33:06 osmc hyperiond[565]: ERROR: No valid config found
    ssh in: Nov 20 00:33:06 osmc systemd[1]: hyperion.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    ssh in: Nov 20 00:33:06 osmc systemd[1]: Unit hyperion.service entered failed state.
    ssh in: Nov 20 00:33:06 osmc systemd[1]: hyperion.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
    ssh in: Nov 20 00:33:06 osmc systemd[1]: Stopping Hyperion Systemd service...
    ssh in: Nov 20 00:33:06 osmc systemd[1]: Starting Hyperion Systemd service...
    ssh in: Nov 20 00:33:06 osmc systemd[1]: hyperion.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
    ssh in: Nov 20 00:33:06 osmc systemd[1]: Failed to start Hyperion Systemd service.
    ssh in: Nov 20 00:33:06 osmc systemd[1]: Unit hyperion.service entered failed state.

the log after i done those things.

• Hi. Very new in hyperion and following your guide for my setup which done just now: RPi3+APA102+OSMC

Everythings is functioning. But I've no idea about grabber.

Lets say i'm playing games or watching movies via PC, how to have the led to react with the game @ movie video output? Can show me step by step? Sorry for the inquiry, I really appreciate the help.

Thanks

• Ok I have never wanted anything to work more in my life. It hasn't been the software that is killing me but the wiring. I triple and quadruple checked to make sure everything is wired. 5v to 5v ground to ground, but all I ever get is two leds to light up one on a strip and one on another. I am losing my mind.

• Hello!

Recently got a RP3 as a gift because I wanted to start making cool things and decided that I wanted to make this my very first project! I've been reading forums on this website for almost a month now, and am slowly purchasing all the things I need to get started.

I don't have any experience with Kodi and ultimately wanted to be able to plug in my computer through HDMI and run Netflix with Hyperion lights. I see a few posts here and there about getting an HDMI splitter extension, but is there any link to a tutorial on it that's a good add-on to this specific tutorial? It seems like this tutorial only works on Kodi (which I think means I'll be using a mouse and keyboard to navigate the program that's running on my RP3 and displayed on my tv, right?), and I want to be able to have it work on whatever is showing on my computer.

This is my first post, so please let me know if there's a better place to get this kind of help, or if there's someone I can directly talk to to help me through my first project!
    Thanks!

• hello, im new to all this and about to finish up my build but im a total noob at hardware. why is the end strip looping back to the power? just wondering if its something ill need to do since this is the only tutorial that does a loop back around and others have skipped this. would the power supply push +/- to both ends of the strip?

• @droopie

It's to spread the voltage availability throughout the LED's. On long runs of LED's you well tend to get voltage drop's.

In my setup of 250 LED's I needed to power every corner and the mid section's of the horizontal bars. My first attempt resulted in orange-out's on the end of the LED strip farthest from the voltage source when I had a white screen up. (Low power = low blue and/or green)

Hope it helps.

• thank you. i went ahead and did that but my lights are just not updating. im able to use hyperion and see the image from the take grabber screenshot and im using the same strip as the guide changing the light strip in the option along with the led count. i also have the 0 led on the bottom left as the guide suggests. the leds just dont change with the video.

• i have 102 leds (32 horizontal, 19 left of the screen, 18 right. for some reason the top of side is not lighting up yet the the color efect is going across on all sides except the top. the direction is going from bottom left. also, im using the grabber UTV007

• Hello,

I am really new to all of this stuff and yesterday I ran into a problem with my hardware. I was using this 5V 10A power supply to power my WS2801 LEDS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…age_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this DC female power jack adapter to connect the power supply to the 5V+ and GND wires like in the instructions: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…age_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I noticed that the DC power jack was incredibly hot and melting. Everything was connected properly so I am not sure what was wrong. I'm not very good with electrical components so any help would be welcomed.

Thank you

• if no negative and positive are touching, i would send that power supply back. these power supplies are generic i think because i originally purchased a power adapter that would not connect to the brick properly so i ordered another that was listed by another brand but when i received it, it was the exact same label and everything. the power cord did fit better tho.

• this project has defeated me. i give up. i am able to kinda see a randbow when i reboot the pi but not like in the picture. once it boots up, the leds are not being able to control via the app or the software yet i have the pins connected correctly and am using the pre-soldered cables that came with the led strip so i have not touch that. i have tried with openelec latest version on a pi3 and also on a pi1 model b using raspbian.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!