idle state configuration question

• Greetings,

Total noob here. Hyperion is my first raspberry Pi project and I have managed to get it installed and working with my WS2812 LED strips.

The issue I would like help with is that it seems the idle state isn't working correctly.

I am using a USB video capture device connected to a raspberry pi 4 running Hyperion. The HDMI source is an apple tv which feeds into the USB video capture box. Hyperion detects the video signal and reacts correctly to my apple tv when it is on so I am happy there. pic attached.

However, When I turn off my AppleTV Hyperion remains on and the LEDs never go into the idle state as I would expect.

Preferably I want all the lights off when the apple tv is off. The best I can manage currently is a basic 8 color block pattern that I don't understand how or where it comes from... pic attached..

Can anyone help me understand the configuration and how to diagnose my issue please?

Thanks in advance!

• Zur hilfreichsten Antwort springen
    • Hilfreichste Antwort

thats the "rainbowsignal" it appears when there's no HDMI videosignal on live feed to Hyperion, so its a empty signal.

USB Capture: (V4L2:/dev/video0) driver still runs and it shows trough Hyperion which steers the leds.

you can turn on [signal detection] and alter the values of Hmin Hmax and Vmin Vmax

the values is default 0,25 / 0,75 > you can change it in 0,9 and 0,98 and see if this works for you

• I can start a new thread but I have a small problem after doing what you recommended, Ambientheater77

After using those values the system lights do in fact go into an "off" state, however the issue is that once I start a show again and the lights come back on and work, they wont go back into idle state again, but if I go back into the signal detection section and save again it will make the leds go into the "off" setting again.

Rinse and repeat.

• I had this rainbow effect when switching off my setup. This was with the WisFox HDMI USB capture device. I replaced it with this as the WisFox was loose in the port.

When I now switch everything off other than the LED hardware the LED's are dark showing no output.

• I definitely prefer the idea of a script and was already contemplating the idea of a relay but this is literally my first Pi / python project (I have a background Arduino) so electrically a relay is easy for me but the code to make it work in python /pi will be my challenge.

ill search a script as a starting point

thanks again.

• So changing the signal detection values works but I had to tweak them a little and its still not perfect as I get it going into the idle state during video playback but only for a few seconds. I will mess with them a little more with different videos/ movies and work on a script to switch a relay as the ultimate solution.

Thanks for the help!

• I definitely prefer the idea of a script and was already contemplating the idea of a relay but this is literally my first Pi / python project (I have a background Arduino) so electrically a relay is easy for me but the code to make it work in python /pi will be my challenge.

I'm a hardware guy. Scripts are too much for my little brain...;)

Rainbow colors results from the capture card without HDMI source.

The easiest way to power down the capture card, if TV is off...

...but you have to solder your own USB-Cable.

Or maybe the capture card can powered by the Apple TV, if there is a free USB-Port. I don't know.

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mike72 ()

• so electrically a relay is easy for me but the code to make it work in python /pi will be my challenge.

Hardest part will be deciding how to control the script, my first scripts were activated when Kodi entered or exited screensaver mode, now they all run when various remote control buttons are pressed - much better way imo but required an additional IR receiver to make it possible - Plus side to that is original remotes can be used and unused buttons can be mapped to do useful things.

Example of that would be TV remote power button is pressed - Tv Goes off but IR receiver also detects the power off command and runs a powerdown script where it disables the capture devices, disables the LED strip and kills the power to the Splitter relay activation.

You could do physical switches connected to the GPIO too, but yeah hardest part is figuring out how you want it to do it :D

Good Luck

• So the above solution works well for most purposes, but you'll find that some dark scenes in movies or anything filmed in a letterbox aspect ratio will trigger the signal detection and disable your lights.

Rather than checking for a black signal off to the side of the screen (0.87 - 0.98), set your signal detection to watch for a completely green signal in the center-ish. This worked to disable the lights when the rainbow bar was sent by the capture card, without killing the lights when I still want them!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!