So many ilghts, do I need a better power supply?

• Hi guys, i recentely installed hyperion on my TV, but some leds (final ones) does not light up when coloring, but when I check the RGBW checkbox, it lights ups.

I have it running on a raspberry pi 3b+, a power supply of 5v 10amp, my Tv is 65'', wich calculating leds is something like this.

top: 80

left: 40

bot: 80

right: 40

I registered this infos on hyperion software and suggested me around 16Amp of power, is this the problem at all?

1- Testing effects, the led lights goes all ok until reach this point:

2 - this is the ambilight screen capture with RGBW on, wich apparently the leds lights up oO

3 - ambilight screen capturing, leds on the left upside not working

4 - when rgbw option on, it works

• Hi my friend!!

thanks so much for your help.

Can you detail a little bit more how can I do it? I am not an expert in electric hahaha

• yes, of course.

this goes for if you had the strip only shortened at the end to match the lenght of the tv

You have your begin of the strip> it has a connector thats connected to the solderpads

now at the end where you had cut the strip, you need to roughen up the solderpads and solder on +5volts and GND a wire,

VCC = +5volts

GND= ground

these wires you connect also to your powersupply.

with this setup you are powering the leds from both sides which helps the discolourations

• ok I think I got it.

I suck at soldering, and I think I lost my tools also :(

Do you know if there is another way to do it without solder maybe?

• no there is not, the pads are there to solder wires to> when you cut the strip and you have more than 80 leds then power from both sides is the way to go.

if you want clean/nice colours this is the way to go> reason is that current which flows trough a LED has a huge impact on the colour the LED will provide. The less current and the more the colours will differ, because every LED is in fact a mini resistor the current can not flow at certain point any more and you get discolourations in the rest to the end of your strip.

i will always recommend to power from both sides if the strip is in one piece. :)

note; and ofcourse the PSU is also really important > a clean, steady and good rectifier/PSU does wonders for a ledstrip/PI

• Hello, so I have a few questions regarding the soldering and reconnection of WLED lights. I'm using HD107s lights at 60m and I have an expected 4 pin connector with RGYB. There's also a separate duplicated red VCC and black GND lead with unprotected wires at each end. My PSU is a meanwell LRS 100-5 18A 5V.

1. Are these ends for me to directly connect to the PSU and provide a common ground to my RPi4? I was planning on connecting my RPi4 to the PSU using usb conversion to minimize the risk of unregulated power to the RPi4. I've read the level switch topic and understand that there may be a voltage difference that causes issues with the LEDs but I wanted to try to do as minimal soldering as possible. Am I to ignore the red wire within the connector then?

2. When soldering the cut end I am only soldering the 5V and GND wires. These also return back to the PSU. Is a common ground with the RPi4 needed for this end as well?

3. What is the best way to connect USB cables to a small PSU unit such as this? I've seen people have had success with cutting an end of cable and attaching that directly to the psu but I just wanted to verify. Currently the PSU will have the USB-C for the RPi4, 2x USB micro-b for my splitter and switch, and then the direct light switch connection.

I'm an old soul so I hand drew a schematic on what I was describing in question 1. I used blue for the ground as I had already used black to try to reduce confusion. (I am also not sure if my cable is backwards as CI and DI are reversed compared to a previous schematic drawn by TPAdministrator. Also the portion closer to the connectors says C0/D0 and CI/DI on the other side.)

Thank you for any assistance!

• There's also a separate duplicated red VCC and black GND lead with unprotected wires at each end.

That wires is the same > its double jointed to make powering the strip easyer

Are these ends for me to directly connect to the PSU and provide a common ground to my RPi4?

yes more then one common ground ( GND PIN) is good to use. So ground PSU to ledstrip, and ledstrip to Raspi

Is a common ground with the RPi4 needed for this end as well?

you can never have to much grounds on DC voltage , but you can have to less and then problems will occur. > flashing/flickering

What is the best way to connect USB cables to a small PSU unit such as this?

USb cables?

The PI has a USB-C connection which draws 2.4 Amps max ( i reality i think not even 1,5 Amps) Its better to use a standard PSU that belongs to it or...........

you can splice up the cable and try to power it from your Meanwell PSU, or,

you power it directly on the PINS, which is more hazardous in case of shortening etc etc..

i didn't have the opportunity yet to "play" with a PI4

• my friend, I really dont know what i did here, or what happened, but the led strip is working 100% now.

im really surprised because I didnt do anything beside restarting it.

really WTF.

Really thanks for the reply!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gPsdRgF3qVhLTeD77

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!