LEDs stopped working after the wires were cut

• Hello,

So basically my system was up and running as intended, but while I was watching TV, I saw 2 cables hanging off from the smartTV (5v and GRN, I think).

Not as smart as my "smartTV", I got up, picked up some scissors and decided to cut them while the leds were on :S... (img1 attached).

As soon as they were cut, the leds stopped working and I've been facepalming since then. As I turn on the LEDs the only thing I see is some of the lights turning on and immediatly off in a fraction of a second (video1 attached).

My question is: Did I really fried them or are these LEDs recoverable? Do I have to buy new ones or it was all just a big coincidence and there's another reason?

• As soon as they were cut, the leds stopped working and I've been facepalming since then

:rolleyes:8|8|

you made a shortcut between +5volts and GND,

if you are misfortunate then the PSU and PI will be gone.

it seems like your PSU but can be anything, why o why cut cables when power is attached,

and in first place > that cables you've cut they are meant to provide (extra) power to the strip.

• Whooops! :D

Voltage doesn't matter, you shorted the Live to the Ground so the weakest part/s in that circuit will break, if your PSU is semi decent you may have protection at the side for the short circuit, LEDS you should probably cut that first one off and reattach the wiring.

If you dont have a multimeter id invest in that before throwing any parts at it and at least check the PSU :thumbup: might save you some cash in the long run.

Good Luck

• Congratulations!8o

Probably you shorted the output successfully. Normally you can restart the power supply if the secondary is electronic fused. Unplug the mains, wait for a minute and the ps will restart. Measure the voltage at output to be on the safe side.

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!