Am I riding to close to the edge?

• Just starting a build (my first), and it looks like 270 LEDs from a 60 LED/meter WS2812B strip for a 65" TV. That figures to almost 18A, and I've got a 20A supply. Is the RPi4 going to be too much additional load on the same supply? Would a common ground tie between the PSU and the RPi GND pin be a reasonable solution to run the separate regular RPi USB C PSU? I know that's not best practice. And is there any reason not to just plug the ESP8266 board running WLED into the Pi to power it?

• I think one power supply with 20 Amps for 270 LEDs + RPi4 are more than enough. But some gives out more than 5.20 volts.

I would recommend, take a ps with fine adjustable voltage like this...

and minimize further problems.

If you use two ps, you MUST connect both GNDs together.

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

• My supply has an adjustable output voltage, and I've got several multimeter, so that's not an issue. I can set up a star ground using the ground of the 20A supply as the common, since it will have a grounded power cord attached. Does that seem the best way to do it?

• You means GND from 5 volts with earth from mains? I would not do that!

I meant, with two power supplies you have to connect both minus to each other.

But as I said, a 20 Amp power supply is more than enough.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mike72 ()

• I I'm used to working on tube /valve amps and other analog electronics, and have some coding background, but the is my first venture into the world of digital electronics. :/

• No problem. We all started small...;)

On first start with Hyperion you could have issues with flickering of LEDs or other problems with colors.

Hyperion is not Plug n Play. But it's all a solution of settings.:thumbup:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mike72 ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!