Rogue signal to LEDs?

• Hi,

I am using a 4k splitter and a basic capture card (with loop). My LEDs are being powered by a 5V 20A power supply. I have noticed that when I turn off the instance on Hyperion, after a while some lights on LED strip would go on. See picture here. I think 3 LEDs near the start of strip are on:

http://imgur.com/a/tsRRFac

I can't figure out why. Is there some power leaking into the LEDs or is Hyperion sending rogue signals even though instance is off?

Anyone experienced this?

Thanks.

PS: The reason I turn off Instance is because of the capture card's rainbow test screen problem when HDMI source is off, a common problem it seems.

• With APA102 I had the problem that the afterglow or the last sent color information somehow "remembered" after shutting down the RPi. Then I put a relay module in front of the LEDs that is controlled by the RPi.

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

• With APA102 I had the problem that the afterglow or the last sent color information somehow "remembered" after shutting down the RPi. Then I put a relay module in front of the LEDs that is controlled by the RPi.

Was this for all LEDs or some? I have problem only for a few and only within the first meter it seems.

What does a relay do? And where did you put it exactly? I have a 100ohm resistor on the data connection from Pi to LED.

• In my case, it was also for a few LEDs. First of all, replace the 100 Ohm resistor to 470 Ohm.

A relay can switch with a small current (RPi) a higher current (LEDs).

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mike72 ()

• What's the problem to replace a resistor...? :/ Okay, the removing of TV from the wall... :D

In most cases it will help, no voltage on the LED stripe = LEDs are dark! ;)

• What's the problem to replace a resistor...? :/ Okay, the removing of TV from the wall... :D

In most cases it will help, no voltage on the LED stripe = LEDs are dark! ;)

I will try with relay module alone as I have one lying around then see if it helps. I need to read up on where it needs to go in circuit and how it's wired up.

Will report back.

• I can't read the terminals, but should be okay...

GND → - from power supply +5V → COM

+5V → + to LED stripe +5V → NO

+5V or +3.3V → S

• Well. That's confusing! I will read up on how Relay Module work first.

My LEDs are being powered by a power supply which is also powering the Pi.

• ok, I did studying and I understand the relay module is essentially a mechanical switch. That's neat.

The NO and common is basically going in between the +5v line from power supply to LED where it will act as the switch.

But I don't get the signal side. It is attaching to the Pi somehow? The Pi is always powered on so will it not always send current to Signal?

• The Pi is always powered on so will it not always send current to Signal?

You didn't say that your Pi is always on...

Again,... when the Pi is on, the relay switch the LEDs on, but if your Pi runs 24/7, the relay is pointless.

If you knowledge in programming, you have to write your own script to control the relay via GPIO.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mike72 ()

• Sorry, my bad.

1) Can you briefly explain to me how you manage your Pi, do you turn it off manually every time or you have some setup? Because I don't mind turning off the Pi when I turn off TV, but thinking what's an easy way.

2) How will my own script look like? Somehow the relay will need to know when Hyperion is no longer needed. How will Hyperion know when it is no longer needed though. :/ Complicated.

• I'm also not good in programming, so I start and shutdown the RPi with a Logitech Harmony Elite remote control over a infrared relay board. Another solution would be when the TV is switched on the RPi starts up, when the TV is switched off the RPI is also shutdown. But you need more hardware.

• That sounds good.

Trying to think how the programming will work if I do look into it. The first step is for Hyperion to know when to tell the relay to switch off. But I don't see any solution to how Hyperion will know we are finished watching TV. :/ Somehow I must tell Hyperion I am finished watching TV.

Maybe can use the Signal Detection function. When I turn off TV, Signal Detection is activated and then the Pi tells Relay to turn off the relay switch. Then when I turn on TV, the opposite happens.

Problem is, Signal Detection does not work well for me. It activates during watching TV....

:/:/

• Problem is, Signal Detection does not work well for me. It activates during watching TV....

That was the reason why I came up with the integration of the remote control. You have to find the best solution for you. :thumbup:

• That was the reason why I came up with the integration of the remote control. You have to find the best solution for you. :thumbup:

I am trying different values in Signal Detection thanks to Lord Grey post. It seems it's working good now. It seems Signal Detection also solved the random LED turning on. But I will see if it returns...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!