USB grabber issues | Is it advisable to use arduino for WS2812B LEDs?

• Here is my setup:

TV Size: 50"

Board: RPI 3b+

LED: WS2812B (total 214 LEDs)

Power: 5v 10A

USB capture card: Loop capture from ebay

Question:

1. After lot of searching the forum, I got the usb grabber to get working, but everytime we turn off and turn on the TV/entire setup, things go crazy! Mainly the video feed dosnt recognize.. need to pull out the grabber cords, or restart the pi couple of times etc. it kind of kills the charm ;(. Here are the grabber details.

Latest web Ui logs. can anyone help me understand whats the issue?(if any chance I can survive with this grabber?)

Im also thinking about returning this and buying a seperate grabber and hdmi splitter. Can you guys pls let me know If I need to look for a specific chipset/model for the grabber?

2. I saw some old posts talking about using arduino with RPI to control the WS2812B LEDs, and things might have changed in the recent versions, is it still advisable to use an arduino for WS2812B LEDs? does it improve anyway?

3. Im seeing the colos are slightly off, specially blue. its shows as cyan. Is there a way to adjust?

• can anyone help me understand whats the issue?(if any chance I can survive with this grabber?)

I think it's a handshaking problem with your HDMI devices. In my case it helps, when I shutdown all HDMI components when the TV is off, and restart it when TV is on. You can do this manually or automatically with a relay box.

Can you guys pls let me know If I need to look for a specific chipset/model for the grabber?

All grabber or video capture cards with Macrosilicon 2109 chipset should working with Hyperion.

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

• Sounds like HDMI as Mike72 says. I use a PI Zero W. If the HDMI input device is on before the PI powers up then there is no output. Power up Pi then power up HDMI input device or plug in HDMI cable to PI and all is good. I now leave my PI on constantly and have no issues toggling the input device power ;o)

• seeking your advice here.

what do you want to know :)

look at what Mike said, handshaking problems.

can be problems in HDMI corner with HDCP/EDID/CEC

or USB power on port to low, thus Hyperion doesnt recognize the grabber at reboot.

i take a look at your logs, but no guarantees, i dont know all there is to know ;)

2021-05-27T06:50:34.853Z [hyperiond V4L2:/DEV/VIDEO1] (INFO) configured v4l device: /dev/video1

2021-05-27T06:50:34.854Z [hyperiond V4L2:/DEV/VIDEO1] (ERROR) Throws error nr: VIDIOC_G_FMT error code 22, Invalid argument

2021-05-27T06:50:34.857Z [hyperiond V4L2:/DEV/VIDEO1] (ERROR) Throws error nr: VIDIOC_STREAMON error code 22, Invalid argument

2021-05-27T06:50:34.858Z [hyperiond V4L2:/DEV/VIDEO1] (INFO) Started

2021-05-27T06:50:34.859Z [hyperiond V4L2:/dev/video1] (DEBUG) (GrabberWrapper.cpp:48:start()) Grabber start()

2021-05-27T06:50:34.862Z [hyperiond V4L2:/DEV/VIDEO1] (ERROR) Throws error nr: VIDIOC_DQBUF error code 22, Invalid argument

2021-05-27T06:50:34.864Z [hyperiond V4L2:/DEV/VIDEO1] (ERROR) VIDIOC_STREAMOFF error code 22, Invalid argument

2021-05-27T06:50:34.865Z [hyperiond V4L2:/DEV/VIDEO1] (INFO) Stopped

you have a error code 22, it seems that there is a error in the digital videostream to Hyperion or no stream at all from the capturing device

after that Hyperion no longer tries to connect to it.

so how i see it the problem is in the capturing device.

• Thanks a lot Mike72 & Ambientheater77. I tried to turn on everything together, and some combinations like chromecast first, grabber and pi together etc. Not able to get it to work all the time. Most of the time it recognizes the device but no feed. So ordering these ones now

Anyone knows about the Arduino thing?

• Anyone knows about the Arduino thing?

If you mean WLED on ESP8266:

My lights were always flickering, controlling them with the ESP8266 solved this.

Also in my opinion it is more conveniently, since you don’t have to connect the LEDs to the Raspi, so no need to put the Raspi behind the TV, just the Little ESP8266 is enough.

WLED also has some additional features, for example Alexa support, maybe that’s interesting for you.

yes, if your setup is running without then you don't need it.

I fully agree!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!