dead led strip ws2812B raspberry pi3B

• hey guys!

im new to this and i have follow some treads about building a own ambilight.

ws2812B

198 leds behind my TV

im using a rpi 3B with own adapter.

hdmi splitter 1x2 1080p

usb capture card to rca

hdmi2av

so!!

yesterday i get the strip to light up with hyperion, but now its totaly dead.

the strip is connected to gpio 18 at the Rpi.

it has it own powersupply ( computer powersupply)

when i check the +5v at the powersupply it gets 5,7v (29A max), maybe it killed the ws2812B ?

some people says i must have a type of resistor between the +5v at the power supply and the strip but i havent use that.

can i controll the strip at any way? i dont know if the whole strip is dead or only the first of the leds

• you mean controll that the gpio 18 works?

the strip and the rpi have there own powersupply so i dont think the pie gpio is bad.

when i messure between ground and gpio 18 its like 2.2v so its not dead

how many Amps do i need for 198leds? ws2812B ?

some say like 17A another max 10A.

and do i need a capacitor 1000uf?

• to add to that, this type of ledstrip is daisychained

so if a LED burns out then the rest behind it doesn't work anymore.

if there's no LED firing at all then follow wladi

measure the PSU ( powersupply) 5,7 volts DC is way too much, so chance is big that first LED died.

especially with a higher DC power than exactly 5volts these LEDs burn out quickly without the use of a resistor between the dataline from GPIO to Data in

tip; go for a adjustable PSU with potentiometer like Meanwell LRS-100-5 types.

• in Hyperion.ng, if leddevice is running (green tab) at remote section and no leds are firing at all..

Then you can be quite sure it's not Hyperion.ng causing the trouble. Sometimes it helps at leddevice section to select a different setting of DMA 》》 DMA resources are often used by the PI system so if that's the case they dont fire on PWM ledcontroller.

Standard is DMA 5 but you can also use for instance 10

Avoid channels 0, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7. The GPU uses 1, 3, 6, 7. The frame buffer uses 0 and the SD card uses 2.

Source: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86339

First you have to be sure it's not a Hardware PSU problem.

Did you ad the line

Code
    dtparam=audio=off 

at config.txt boot section ?

And did you ground the GND pins of the PI and ledstrip and PSU V- together ?

• important especially with more than 100 leds to power from both sides to divide the power through the strip

Need that? The dtparam line? Yes you do

Need that? The GND connections? Yes you do, that's extremely important for the ledstrip

PWM is a audio pulse and being used by the PI for internal audio recourses.

Hyperion.ng has also to run under root if used PWM ledcontroller, that is often necessary

Capacitor is handy but not really important, steady clean rectified stabilized PSU that's adjustable is much more important in your case ;)

• give me some help!

now im in again..

all settingt with dtparam and so on.

the leds are working but only the first led lights green.. nothing else happends.. in live view i se same pics like the tv

• Nothing more happends. I have fix a new 5V mean well. 4K splitter and a HDMI/usb capture card instead of the analog usb/RCA to test with.

Only the first led is lighting(green) nothing more works for me. Have i forgotten something?

• Sounds like a dead first LED. Take a male jumper wire and bridge data of the first LED for testing.

Try this and see if the below LEDs works:

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

• I just read that you powered with 5.7V. Is it still the same LED stripe? Could be that more or all LEDs are broken.

• yes still same led strip..

I would try it with a new LED stripe, probably several LEDs are already damaged. MeanWell LRS-75-5 is a good choice.

First of all, the LEDs should work correct with RPi and the Hyperion App, colors and effects. Then you can go to the configuration, splitter, capture card and the other stuff. And don't forget to set stable 5V under full load (white color). Good luck!:thumbup:

• Tnx for all advise. I have also test The strip with Hyperion App but No response. Only first green led as before. Im gonna mesure the strip. Hmm i have like 1m left so i can test with before i buy a new One :D IF This 1m strip lights up the other strip is bad.

• I would try it with a new LED stripe, probably several LEDs are already damaged. MeanWell LRS-75-5 is a good choice.

First of all, the LEDs should work correct with RPi and the Hyperion App, colors and effects. Then you can go to the configuration, splitter, capture card and the other stuff. And don't forget to set stable 5V under full load (white color). Good luck!:thumbup:

What pins om gonna use for best result? Gpio 18 and grund? Or gpio 21 ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!