WS2812B - Leds wont light according to video capture - Random lights - 2.0.0-alpha.9

• Hi guys

I'm trying to get my PI3 B+ to work with Hyperion but am unable to, so I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction?

When i connect LEDS to Power 5V 15 AMP with Hyperion running - There is rainbow effect and then the lights are showing some random colors, but when i quit hyperiond the colors are solid again.

Also in capture i can see the hdmi source by usb but the leds won't match the picture. I havent cut the leds yet. What i have done is as this is a 300 leds strips i have applied like 100 on the top and bottom and 50 on both sides just to check if everythings works before cutting.

Can someone please help me with this ?

PI is powered by Micro USB cable

Leds are powered by seperate Poweradepter wich is 5V 15AMP

I have not connected any ground wire between PI and leds as they use seperate power sources.

Here is my log when running hyperiond

Code
    https://pastebin.com/xyZcpYZC
  • I have not connected any ground wire between PI and leds as they use seperate power sources.

But you should do this in every case. If you have two different power supplies, there are two different ground potentials. When these are connected, a common one. Generally, to avoid EMC problems it's always better to ground all devices.

Remember, I only mean GND, 0V or Minus!

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Mike72 ()

• Other drivers using the PWM audio pulse,

try this, in config.txt in boot section on SD card,

dtparam=audio=off

then reboot

I will, first of all, thank you for trying to help me. Means a lot to me. But unfortunately, I still have the same issue :(

Do you have any more ideas on where I should be looking?

Hyperion Log

https://pastebin.com/jkDuZbMy

/Boot/config.txt

https://pastebin.com/v4iq7xuJ

• There is rainbow effect and then the lights are showing some random colors, but when i quit hyperiond the colors are solid again.

Yes, the audio service that runs in the OS from the PI is overtaking PWM audio pulse.

for this you have to run Hyperion.NG under root.

there's a few things you can do here

first there's this, in terminal put

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/hyperiond@.service

Remove the User sessionline and save with CTRL+O and exit CTRL+x.

Don't forget to reboot

sometimes this work, sometimes not, then you have to do someting else.

change DMA5 setting in Hyperion.NG to 10 for instance.

don't forget to reboot the PI

if that doesn't help also... in terminal>. set hyperion service as root.

sudo systemctl disable --now hyperiond@pi
    sudo systemctl enable --now hyperiond@root
    sudo reboot now

and listen to Mike72, he knows alot of this stuff >>> grounding on DC voltages is ALWAYS to recommend.

• Did you read my posting? ... :/

Hi,

Thank you so much for your advice sir.

I will add ground immediately. Also one question here as I'm total noob at this.

Can I add a ground to the Pi3's Ground GPIO pin even tho i power it by micro USB cable ? or do I need to cut the micro usb cable and power it trough there?

• Hi sir, Thanks for your time and effort again but it is still the same problem :(

https://pastebin.com/3r5VCQY7

I think I will try the Hyperbian image.

Maybe I would succeed with that.

• Can I add a ground to the Pi3's Ground GPIO pin even tho i power it by micro USB cable ? or do I need to cut the micro usb cable and power it trough there?

the thing is that the goal of this is to fix the potential diffrence between V- and V+ and flatten it out, the PSU from the phone charger (PI) for instance and the PSU of the ledstrip will even out and the voltage is the same. 0 volt is the same, 5 volts is the same.

so GND pins on the PI ( at least 2 of them) need to be connected to powersupply V- / GND /0 volts , and need to be connected to V- GND of the ledstrip.

so its not you are providing any GND but you are connecting all that ones together.

PS; 0volts or GND or V- is all the same,

earth or grounding >>> symbol >>>> is NOT the same! don't connect to that.

get it now? :)

Hi sir, Thanks for your time and effort again but it is still the same problem :(

power the strip from both sides, so beginning and end +5 volts and GND together and try again.

PWM sometimes can be a hazard to get running, this is because the PWM pulse is being interfered by the rest of the audio services that runs on the PI, even when you put the dtparam=audio=off is no quarantee that it will work.

Hyperion.NG needs to have most of times privilage over the audio PWM pulse, the lines with sudo systemctl makes sure of that and in most cases its enough.

if that is also not helping then you have a few other choices;

• try a diffrent PWM GPIO, maybe the service is using that specific GPIO18 to interfere >> try another GPIO which is capable to steer with PWM pulse
    • there's something else that you can do with PWM, write a script to ensure the pulse is being connected to Hyperion and NOT to the audio service that runs on the PI>>> this needs some good programming in scripting.
    • run on dma10 instead of 5 setting, see the article, type Raspberry 3b cannot cope to run the PWM under dma5..

see this article; github PWM explanation and fixing

or

• Switch over to SPI ledcontroller and connect to GPIO10 ( hardware pin 19) and try your luck with that, settings is dma5, ws2812SPI,
    • enable SPI controller for this dtparam=spi=on in config.txt boot section. ( without the # )
  • Thank you so much for your advice sir.

I'm not any more young, but I'm not a Sir...:D Joking aside, no problem, you're welcome!

Missing grounding does many issues, especially with two power supplies.

You can connect one or any GND pins of the RPi with V-, GND or Minus of the LED power supply.

Also many user have no problems with normal jumper wires for data lines between RPi and LEDs when it's short length. But I would recommend in every case a shielded cable like an old cinch audio line or microphon cable. Good luck!:thumbup:

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

• Done everything here but the shit wont sync unfortuntely.

I have even installed hyperbian.

this is the log with + and - connected at both end.

https://pastebin.com/XeT0iqSF

this is from spi10

https://pastebin.com/x7C70tA7

• Switch over to SPI ledcontroller and connect to GPIO10 ( hardware pin 19) and try your luck with that, settings is dma5, ws2812SPI,
    enable SPI controller for this dtparam=spi=on in config.txt boot section. ( without the # )

I'm not any more young, but I'm not a Sir... :D Joking aside, no problem, you're welcome!

Missing grounding does many issues, especially with two power supplies.

You can connect one or any GND pins of the RPi with V-, GND or Minus of the LED power supply.

Also many user have no problems with normal jumper wires for data lines between RPi and LEDs when it's short length. But I would recommend in every case a shielded cable like an old cinch audio line or microphon cable. Good luck!

Hi Lighting-guy77 & Mike72 , Thank you so much for your help. I managed to fix this. Everything I had to do was actually do like you guys told me.... add a fucking ground wire between Pi3+ and Led Stripe, and everything is working fine now. Thank you so much for your help. I won't do hit and run here. I will try to stay and help another member with issues like you both did for me.

I'm running through SPI.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!