My experience with installing hyperion and what I learned when I didnt succeed

• Hi all,

I have been planning for a long time to install hyperion behind my 55" LG Oled tv.

I looked at multiple videos online and people where saying that a rpi zero should be fine and that following capture card would work great:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…042311.0.0.27424c4dLhfLg4

So all went great and I did the following:

RPI zero
    WS2812 60l per meter, total 219 leds.

5V 6A power supply, connected with a dig uno where I didn't use the wemos d1, but just connected in the GPIO2 pin and similar GPIO 18 on the rpi zero.

https://imgur.com/a/ZNmNcYg

This worked and I managed to record a video of it working. Then the RPI zero started stuttering and was unresponsive so I decided that I was not able to use a rpi zero and redid things with a rpi 4.

Here I never really got it working, but that is probably because the dig uno had probably been damaged somehow.

Anyways, so I was getting a lot of no signal with my Apple TV 4k and I started to understand that this was due to the Capture card. Firstly I thought it was just under powered, but it seemed that it was not able to handle 4K HDR and max was 4K SDR.

As I would not be able to accept this, I reverted back to just connecting the attached LEDs to a dig uno which allows me to use WLED.

I would love to hear what I could have done differently in terms of grabber, as the recommendations on youtube is clearly not able to handle the latest and greatest (which I believe Philips Hue Sync box is?)

Would appreciate some input here so I can order a proper USB grabber and get this working at some point!

Thanks!

• RPI zero
    WS2812 60l per meter, total 219 leds.

5V 6A power supply, connected with a dig uno where I didn't use the wemos d1, but just connected in the GPIO2 pin and similar GPIO 18 on the rpi zero.

PSU should be at least 10A or 50 watts for steering 200 leds.

i recommend 15A though if you are using this setup to power the PI/wemos and ledstrip.

increase your PSU and go back to your original PI0, its possible that Pi4 won't run because of other hardware and not supported hardware revision for hyperion.NG

also PWM is a pulse that needs to run from GPIO18, for that the audio services needs to be shut down.

you can do that in config.txt to add:

dtparam=audio=off 

or have a look at my latest posts on my profile

• Alright, so things have happened since I wrote this and I got told to buy this:

So based on this I have come up with following idea for my hyperion setup

https://imgur.com/a/Mk9lmib

So in additional there will be a power from psu to end of led strip.

The only worry I now have is related to what you are saying about the pi4, should I rather just get a 3b+ for this project to be on the safe side? Im not sure if the wifi coverage on my rpi zero was all that good, and being able to potentially run ethernet on the pi is tempting. (as I have a router close by)

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on my suggested setup

• The only worry I now have is related to what you are saying about the pi4, should I rather just get a 3b+ for this project to be on the safe side?

In my setup, a Raspberry Pi 3A+ runs for two years. Previously with HyperCon, now with Hyperion.NG

Edit:

I'm using this little guy to steering WS2812 or SK6812 RGBW.

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mike72 ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!