First steps, being careful on power wiring guage & fuses any help please! #Noob

• So here's my kit so far, I'm waiting on the LED's any day now from ali on 10 day delivery from BTF.

SK9822 5m 60 IP30 https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…042311.0.0.3da64c4dDn5eC2

RASPI 3 - This had it's micro USB POWER socket snapped off, and has been working fine over a year, but soldered to board lost it's protection, blade fuse??

S-100-5 PSU 240V>5V DC 20A 100W Meanwell STYLE of cage but unbranded. Tested at 5.1v, there is an adjuster.

4K Passthrough Looper- I bought two identical units (outside identical) one being half price of the other! totally different boards. Will attach pic.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pr…tle_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ~around the £40 mark.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pr…_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - £25 - 40, yet identical outside.

Blade fuse holder 6 way. 3 & 5A fuses suggested to me, but that user was using four separate strips not connected at corners.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pr…smid=A1DBC97EH2O973&psc=1

So here's where I'm at. Wiring & blades.
    1. The pi3 will be powered from the PSU, should I place a blade fuse on this of say 3amp, as it's hard-wired to the board as the USB snapped off. Worked fine on 3d printer over a year on a USB lead hacked off and soldered. I do have a zero W, but it's very busy with klipper on my printer and I daren't mess with that lol.

2. I'd like to solder the corners rather than fold over, but I'm happy for someone to bring me a benefit over competent soldering.

3. Most important, I'm confused on the gauge of wire, and where to place. The only user I've had a chat with was blade fusing four strips to the psu.
    -I don't mind injecting power to 2 or 3 points or all corners as I've seen, but what fuse would I use for these? All same as it's a soldered 3.8m~ strip (55" Tv) ?
    Every chart and calc I'm coming out with at a rough guess of 230 of the 60/m sk9822's comes out with 12guage-16 gauge. Is 12 gauge not a nightmare to solder on a strip??
    -While I'm here, I see pin 18 used for most, but 9822's have a CLOCK wire, is there a common pin used for that before my Pi goes >poof!<

4. Is there any way to shut this down/smart plug for the PSU usage anyone has with success? I'm on hubitat also, if that matters.
    -I'm sure most smart plugs (I have wifi and zigbee) can only handle 10A? Is there a high-amp sonoff etc?

I really appreciate anyone taking time to read this and any response to ANY points. All the gear, no idea. I can handle all the software problems it may throw at me, but safety is an obvious priority with kids about and I work away a lot. All connections will be insulated/hot glued etc.

Many thanks! :thumbup:

• 3. Most important, I'm confused on the gauge of wire, and where to place. The only user I've had a chat with was blade fusing four strips to the psu.
    -I don't mind injecting power to 2 or 3 points or all corners as I've seen, but what fuse would I use for these? All same as it's a soldered 3.8m~ strip (55" Tv) ?
    Every chart and calc I'm coming out with at a rough guess of 230 of the 60/m sk9822's comes out with 12guage-16 gauge. Is 12 gauge not a nightmare to solder on a strip??
    -While I'm here, I see pin 18 used for most, but 9822's have a CLOCK wire, is there a common pin used for that before my Pi goes >poof!<

hello,

gauge of wire is normally like 18AWG but you can ( depends on how much current) use also 20 or even 10

you can double the 20AWG.

It can be tricky to solder but you can also do the double in wires on the strip if the thicker gauge doesn't fit.

For these kind of strips you need to run SPI controller on PIN 19 and 23

PIN 19 is GPIO 10

PIN 23 is GPIO 11

You can run this strip with ledcontroller SPI APA102 ( if your lucky) :)

there is a topic here about your type of ledstrip, these kinds need a higer baudrate to run> search for sK9822 topics ( its from not to long ago)

• For these kind of strips you need to run SPI controller on PIN 19 and 23

Many thanks! Liked your video of your setup.

You lost me here as a noob lol. Do you mean in hyperion choose APA102? These LED's are listed as APA102 yes.
    I've just installed 'lite' and HyperHDR to play with.. I've never seen the software "in person" so to speak so I'm about to start that journey waiting for the damn LED's lol. I inserted a pic of the listing at the bottom of my OP.

Many thanks again! Still confused on fuses TO the psu for (a) All my LED's in one strip with say two additional injector points - fuse all separate, or (b).. combine all power from strips including injection points into one fuse- LOST as to fuse needed 15A?.

• i did part the current over 2 fuses ( each is 3 Amps) if you want to draw more then use more fuses or only 1 main fuse.

In Hyperion.NG you can choose ledcontrollers

i think 15A fuse is about right, but sometimes the leds will draw more or less current then you would expect.

i have a calculation for the watts needed for amount of leds.

200 x 0.049 = Amps x Voltage = Watts

so;

200 leds x 0.049 = 9.8 Amps x 5 Volts = 49 Watts

0.049 mili-amps or 0.6 amps is also used in this calculation, then used the SMD5050 ledstrip types, in my experience ( ahum..) :) a SMD5050 led never uses more than 0.049 ( some say that it even will use 0,6 amps) but i didn't see that happening.

my calculation came too 0.025 mili-amps for my setup.

but anyway, there is diffrent calculations you can use. I used a electronic V/A meter so i can see everything.

anyway each to his own,

• Many thanks again! Still confused on fuses TO the psu for (a) All my LED's in one strip with say two additional injector points - fuse all separate, or (b).. combine all power from strips including injection points into one fuse- LOST as to fuse needed 15A?.

it depends how much leds you have to get lit in a string,

if the string is a O ring then you have a start and end on the ledstrip, so power the begin and end on +5 volts and GND

usable until 150 leds or such. Much more leds will draw to much current o the whole strip.

if you want to have separate strings on each side then you can easy power the strip from 2 x vertical and 2 times horizontal

you can choose to power only from beginning on each ledstrip and daisychain the Data and CLK or choose to do this AND >>

power from both sides.

what i am reading and my experience with others, if there's more than 200 leds then the current distribution IN the ledstrip becomes really important and also the gauge wire thickness.

the thicker the gauge the less current and voltage drop especially at the end of the strip when you only power the strip from one side only.

• Are those some sort of piggyback power?

So connect both the power lines up?

you can connect the double wire from begin and end together.

They are the same as the strip powerlines ( double soldered)

black on black = GND

red on red = +5 volts VCC

green is Data = PIN 19/ GPIO 10

yellow is CLK = PIN 23/ GPIO 11

don't forget to ground GND from PI with at least 2 PINS GND to the whole circuit. > PSU> ledstrip> PI > GND

• Ambientheater77 Hi, hope you're well.

I've had a disaster. My rpi3 died. I've replaced it with rpi4 8gb which was not being used.

I've installed latest hyperion, simple swap of pi, done settings in hyperion as per before,

and all I get when I'm looking at the FRONT of the screen is the whole left flashing, rest are dimmed.
    Occasionally the effect will go round the entire strip round the tv, and sometimes some LED's go blank.

The rpi 4 is on it's own exclusive USB C power supply.

I haven't changed any other hardware, checked settings, connections, fuses, ground etc.

Can't see where I'm going wrong.

I'd really appreciate any pointers. Many thanks anyone who could help!
    I thought about starting a new thread but all the info on hardware is in here.

Also, there are no threads on sK9822 search says? Wondering baud rate.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von TheGadge () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by TheGadge into this post.

• Zitat von TheGadge

The rpi 4 is on it's own exclusive USB C power supply.

Is a common ground connected?

SK9822 is to be treated like APA102.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• Is a common ground connected?

SK9822 is to be treated like APA102.

regards pclin

Yes, all grounds (except pi4) have the PSU ground. Tried APA102 (which worked on 3b!) but now nothing. Just random flashing on left of screen, and eventually they creep round the whole thing.

• The PI also needs the PSU Ground and not only USB C power supply.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    -

Ambilight for ever

• 14 or 20 is OK.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

-

FireTV 4K max

-
    -

Ambilight for ever

• How does the live video look in Hyperion, are the colors OK there?

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

-

FireTV 4K max

-
    -

Ambilight for ever

• Played a few videos last night.

My colours are massively muted.

Response to on screen actions are excellent, but I’m missing something on colour.

I can’t find any posts on baud rate for these, could it be that?

• I meant the LED Visualization. Here you can see the live video, the colors that are sent to the LEDs and the LED numbers.

Is your start LED really off center?

Have you used Hyperion Wizards yet?

regards pclin

• pclin Yes, off centre, my tv has a weird trough right there (Samsung) So I thought that best. This setup has worked great before though?

I've done RGB Wizard, and the red and green match. I'm positive last time it wasn't RGB, but the wizard says it is!
    I've tried manually selecting GRB etc and hyperion 'crashes' logging me out and needs a reboot to log back in.

The video on the preview looks a little muted, but can't get why, is this an HDR issue with my cheap grabber??
    -Zasluke, as you came across before I see in posts.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!