Hey everyone! I have been working on the Hyperion setup for over a month. After many iterations and lots of returns, I have a full working hardware setup. I will put the links to what I purchased here, hopefully to help someone in the stages of setup (A TON of the links in other older forums posts lead to nowhere, etc). This is all working equipment as of 7/10/2021.
My Existing Equipment:
Media Source: Nvidia Shield - Link
Secondary Source: Nintendo Switch on dock
Those are connected into 2 HDMI Input which support HDCP 2.2 in a Yamaha RX-V683. This was purchased a few years ago, and in hindsight I probably would have gotten a different unit, I have had some issues with HDMI handshake and CEC. Here is the link to the unit specs.
This unit has one HDMI output, and is run in wall using Monster MC 1000HD 25 Ultra High Speed to my setup. This is connected to XOLORspace S104 on the port in. The HDMI Out port 1 is connected to my TV, which is a 4K TCL C103X model # 65S425, link here. The TV is powered to the wall, and the Xolorspace is powered via its adapter to the wall.
On the Xolorspace, HDMI Out port 2 is connected to my HDMI Video Capture Card here. This device is connected via USB 3 to the USB 3 port on my Raspberry Pi 4 2GB, which is here. I tried it on a Rpi 3B+ and there was too much performance lag. The HDMI capture Card is powered via a 5v to USB, which is plugged into my USB 2.0 port on my Pi. The Rpi 4 is powered via a USB-C official charger, plugged into the wall.
I have GPIO18 connected to the green data cable on my LED strip at one end. I have pin 14 connected to the ground cable on my LED strip. I used a combination of these Dupont wires, alongside some light soldering and some thicker wires (I believe 16 AWG copper stranded wire form Lowe's).
For the LED setup:
- I have the LED strips powered and grounded on both ends. The pattern is 81 LED on top and bottom, and 44 LED on sides. They are connected at the corners using these connectors, but I plan to replace those with soldering at some point.
- These are the LED. I cut the waterproofing cover off, I ordered it by accident.
For the power supply:
- This unit, 5v 20a 100w.
- I sized the power supply based on my LED strip and LED count. The full strip of 300 LED would take 90w, so I got a 100w PSU given the fact that I am only running 251 LED.
- I connected the PSU to the wall using a cut computer cable, measured 5.0v and tuned the device to be exactly 5 (there is an adjustment knob).
- There are 4 5v output terminals, two for ground and 2 for 5v. I connected each end of the LED strips to these terminals.
For the OS, I am running HyperHDR. The only modifications I made was running it as root, enabling wifi and SSH, and adding the max_usb modification to config.txt. I setup my LED layout, which is GRB.
LED Hardware screenshot. Everything else in HyperHDR is left default, though I have not tuned performance, color, black bars, or touched HDR settings as of yet.
With this setup, I can successfully run 4K content to the TV with HDR, and my LEDs work. I can also switch to the Nintendo Switch and the LED work there as well. Overall, I spent about three times as much money and ten times as much time on this project, which I originally discovered here.
I will follow up this post with a video of performance tonight once the lights are off. I do not have any pictures of the actual install because, well, I forgot to take them and I am not taking the TV off the wall again. With stock settings my Rpi4 it is chugging, so I will be turning things down for sure, HTOP screenshot here.